• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If you had told me 10 years ago that jakey Jake would be one of my favorite actors, I would have laughed you out of the room.

Damn

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Looks cool, but the trailer explained things too much.
People really can't make good trailers anymore.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First reviews!
In Velvet Buzzsaw, writer-director Dan Gilroy reunites with his Nightcrawler star Jake Gyllenhaal for a sort of gleeful sendup of classic slasher flicks, gilded in all the modern follies of the navel-gazing coastal elite; it's like Bret Easton Ellis meeting John Carpenter in the bathroom at Art Basel (and spoiler: only one of them comes out alive.
For a lot of its runtime, Velvet (which premiered last night at Sundance, and lands on Netflix Feb. 1) is fun and silly and enjoyably outrageous. It's hard, though, to walk away with a real sense of anything more than blood on the canvas and a blank where your feelings — beyond mild bemusement, and a sudden appetite for prime Los Angeles real estate — should be.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Looks great, but reviews so far aren't stellar. I was really disappointed by Roman J. Israel, Esq. so I really hope this one is good.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Really excited for this one. If it's similar in overall quality to Nightcrawler, then we should be in for quite a ride.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Gyllenhaal is really up there as my most favourite actor. Has a huge range from serious to funny. Still salty about the Nightcrawler Oscar robbery.

Oct 2, 2018
This looks so good.

A shame its a netflix release as some movies look like as thought they weren't shot on film and this has that look for some reason.

I hope this makes some cinema near me. Loved the trailer.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Has anyone seen it yet?I want to watch it tonight and wanted to hear what others thought about it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just finished it. If you're expecting another Nightcrawler you need to drop your expectations way down. It's a solid enough film but there's very little that gets under the skin - the horror elements are pretty generic and the art satire is really broad. There are clever ideas and the performances are good, but I was just hoping for a bit more.

EDIT: Also just watched the trailer, holy shit they spoiled a LOT.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. If you're expecting another Nightcrawler you need to drop your expectations way down. It's a solid enough film but there's very little that gets under the skin - the horror elements are pretty generic and the art satire is really broad. There are clever ideas and the performances are good, but I was just hoping for a bit more.
Felt the same way. The opening is especially tiresome. Things pick up when they discover the artist but eh... kinda strange movie. Toni and Jake are good (although Jake's performance kinda becomes generic 'losing my mind' by the end), the rest are just ok. A lot of the horror stuff was kinda lame too. Some interesting ideas but it never really executes it well. Entertaining enough as a whole though.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
My friends and I had to pause because this opening is rough. Does it get any better?

This feels super disjointed and got the typical Netflix visual sterility.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Half way through atm and man I'm surprised how cheap it looks, Nightcrawel looked great and this has the same DP as There Will Be Blood. Camp Jake Gyllenhal is getting me through it tho.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I acctually liked it.

The visual sterility really worked here with the modern art setting.

Really enjoyed Jake. Rene Russo was ace. And Toni Collette was great aswell.

The slow burn was really my jam, even though the horror kind of fizzled out for me.

Overall, enjoyed it.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
I was thinking about turning it off after 20 minutes but sadly I kept going. There are no redeeming qualities to find here. The "horror" parts are laughable and so is the rest. This movie is a joke

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overall I enjoyed it.

Didn't feel like it lived up to the trailer for the horror aspect of it, but it was something different.

I thought the sterile aesthetic worked well with the new art plot.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
This is like a weird mash up of The Square, the art gallery scenes from Nocturnal Animals and Pickman's Model with some Final Destination thrown in for good measure..

IMO the mix never quite works. It's entertaining, but I wouldn't necessarily call it good. The movie is all over the place in tone. One second it's trying to be a hilarious satire of the art world, the next it's trying for creepy horror.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not great overall, it's not creative or suspenseful enough to work as a horror and as a satire it felt like a flat Neo Yokio. But man does Jake Gyllenhal commit to it. I guess Nightcrawler was not indicative of Gilroy as a director.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??

EDIT: Also just watched the trailer, holy shit they spoiled a LOT.
This sounds exactly like Roman J Israel Esq.
Cool ideas but needed just a little more

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why can't Netflix make stellar movies ? They are either really bad or somewhat good but just not good enough to be fantastic. Some are great but missed something always.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't Netflix make stellar movies ? They are either really bad or somewhat good but just not good enough to be fantastic. Some are great but missed something always.
Beast of No Nation and Roma are fantastic films. Gerald's Game, Wheelman, Calibre, The Night Comes For Us, and Apostle are all excellent genre films. Outlaw King, Cam, Ballad of Buster Scruggs, 1922, Okja are all good. Spectral and I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore are decent overall but excel at certain aspects

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Overall I enjoyed it.

Didn't feel like it lived up to the trailer for the horror aspect of it, but it was something different.

I thought the sterile aesthetic worked well with the new art plot.
Same. Trailer felt like a 9 on the horror level while the movie itself was more like 5. Most distinctly horrific and creepy portions were the
Hoboman kill and the Velvet Buzzsaw kill towards films end.
Everything else felt like horror comedy without quite landing it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beast of No Nation and Roma are fantastic films. Gerald's Game, Wheelman, Calibre, The Night Comes For Us, and Apostle are all excellent genre films. Outlaw King, Cam, Ballad of Buster Scruggs, 1922, Okja are all good. Spectral and I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore are decent overall but excel at certain aspects
Mudbound is also a fantastic film.

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
I honestly can say that i usually like every movie Gyllenhaal has started in, i like the weird tone / turns his movies tends to take, to make them unique. But this movie was just ...yeah i'll give it a 6 tbh.

Certainly expected more horror based on the trailer, and the beginning of the movie was really rough.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Its a rough one for sure, but the deaths were creative and fun for the most part.
Poor Coco lol.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This is embarassing,another movie that has a perfect setup and is squandered on Netflix. I didnt expect Nightcrawler but yeesh

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I'll check it out soon cuz I loved the trailer but honestly I don't think Gilroys prior movies were any good. Nightcrawler included, fun lead performance though