• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I was really looking forward to this, but it's bad. A common slasher flick with some soap opera melodrama stretching out the time between the kills.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I was really looking forward to this, but it's bad. A common slasher flick with some soap opera melodrama stretching out the time between the kills.

Yea, I feel like if this movie came out in 1995 and was straight to VHS it would be right at home. Actually, I think if everyone hammed it up more and it WAS a VHS print (with tracking and all)...I might have enjoyed it a bit more, haha.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
By the way, Vetril Dease is clearly inspired by outsider artist Henry Darger. And that graffiti death reminded me a lot of Thomas Ligotti's My Work Is Not Yet Done.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen close to 30 movies this year and this has been by far the worst hands down. Gyllenhaal did his best with a mediocre script.

Mar 29, 2018
The opening half hour was so damn promising and it felt almost like a Tom Ford movie, really tight and laying so many threads

But yeah this shits the bed terribly in the back half. Terribly. The bright and clear visual style doesn't match any of the deaths or "horror", the ambiance throughout doesn't feel creepy or psychological so none of the scares land, and the story loses its curious and interesting vibe as the plot and backstory falls apart.

So well intended and such a good idea. I'd like a Lynch or Fincher remake, frankly.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horrible movie all around. From the very first minute it was BAAAAD and cheap omg. The tone was all over the place.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Also, not sure if its something i missed but after reading some reviews/explanations, this job does a realllyyyyy bad job describing its "monster".

Im still not even sure how it works, but I guess only people that sell the paintings are killed? Was that AirPod guy transporting the paintings in the truck selling the paintings or stealing them?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
A movie with such an interesting premise and boundless room for creativity ended up being nothing but wasted potential.
A star-studded cast, great cinematography, interesting subject matter all amounted to a movie that left me to question "why even bother?"

I'd love to see this idea executed properly.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know how anyone would be scared by this movie honestly... some decent character acting stuff in there and Jake was pretty good in it despite the plot kind of just drifting about aimlessly.

Good concept though. Feels like it needed some more time to cook before shooting started

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
I kinda liked this movie, but it's super disappointing follow up from a guy who did Nightcrawler

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This was like The Neo Demon but boring and without anything happening.
It's like the farthest thing from The Neon Demon stylistically. Also the characters, themes, and all aspects of the presentation are nothing alike.

Velvet Buzzsaw's real value is in the way it represents and parodies the denizens of the modern art world.

Oct 28, 2017
A somewhat unique premise (unless you've seen Argento's Stendhal Syndrome) which fails to be interesting in every regard. Bland as a spiritual successor to Nightcrawler, milquetoast as a send up of pretentious art culture (Ghost World, Pecker, or Art School Confidential this is not), and an utter snooze as horror schlock. Watch Velvet Buzzsaw, and yawn through some lame ass deaths.

Nearly every character is purposefully unlikable and shallow, leaving you wondering why the hell you're even bothering to watch them. What a waste of John Malkovich also. Could he phone it in more here? Oh look he's pretentious and full of himself, just like every other character in this mov... zzzzzz

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I've seen college projects that were better than this. This might actually be a new low for Netflix.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't watch any trailers and had no idea what this was. Was enjoying it before it turned into a weird slasher film...

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The characters were kind of unlikeable and the deaths were lame, but I dunno. This sort of reaches so bad it's good to me lol. Jake Gyllenhaal hamming it up and the ultra pretentious art lingo are fun.