• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
ETQoZwwUcAAw6kx

The Venice canal, typically bogged down with tourists in gondolas and cruise ships, is now crystal clear, according to photos shared by Twitter user @FolinAlberto.

Cruise ships are typically seen sailing into the Venice lagoon and have caused harmful levels of pollution, Euro Weekly News writes. Without them, the water has had a chance to clear.

A typical March would see nearly 700,000 people arrive in Venice on cruise ships or otherwise, the South China Morning Post reports.

The decline in tourism has brought "back the lagoon waters of ancient times, those of the post-war period, when it was even still possible to bathe in the waters of the canals," according to local newspaper La Nuova di Venezia e Mestre.

Air quality has also improved in Italy.

Though social isolation has been difficult, it's had a massively positive effect on CO2 emissions, according to European Space Agency data analyzed by the Washington Post.
globalnews.ca

Coronavirus lockdown eases pollution, Venice canal runs clear - National | Globalnews.ca

Air and water quality have improved in countries like Italy and China, places most gravely hit by COVID-19.

Nice to see some positive side effect

Even Dolphins are making their ways into the ports

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really pollution or is it just turbulence / silt from the constant traffic that is usually in the waterways?

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will have any long term effects or if people will simply go back to not giving a shit once the lockdown is over

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still heavily polluted, just not being turned up from the bottom of the canal because no boats are running

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Animals must be like, what's going on? Are these mother fuckers gone for good?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
We need to do something to reverse nature's intrusion on the historical city of Venice. Our culture is at risk!

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
One side effect of less air travel, etc, is a lowering of contributions to carbon emissions which is nice. Not worth the trade off of the suffering and pain of people going through this though :/.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Mother Earth fights back

Well rather Mother Earth is getting a much needed, long long overdue small respite from all the havoc we've been wrecking.
I also find many comments worrying that I see online. People pondering how much Earth would regenerate in this time. But even if it would last the whole year it would be rather meaningless if we continued just like before after the crisis is over.

So let's all hope we take some important lessons away from this.

(Having said that, I am also happy about all good news we get - as small as they might seem)

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Wouldn't it be the lack of mud churned up by boat traffic? That'd disappear faster than pollutants in water.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Does this not prove to the climate-denying idiots that humans are to blame? We're seeing the impacts of the lack of our pollution in real-time!

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Venice looks like the city I wanted to see as a kid again. Seeing all the fish in the water makes it look straight out of an anime or something. All the time in shows or movies you'll see people and nature that close and coexisting in a city. Yet when it comes to the real world, you never see it because you can't even see in the water.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Steve Rogers : You know, I saw a pod of whales when I was coming in, over the bridge.

Natasha Romanoff : In the Hudson?

Steve Rogers : Fewer ships, cleaner water...

Natasha Romanoff : You know, if you're about to tell me to look on the bright side - I'm about to hit you in the head with a peanut butter sandwich.

Steve Rogers : Sorry, force of habit.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just depressing.

You can see the effects we have on our world and despite all the scientists and climate activists that have begged and pleaded for change, COVID-19 comes and shows irrefutable proof of the effects we have.

But you know once this is all over, things will go back to normal.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's the silt settling at the bottom and not getting churned up by the canal boats

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Humanity was a mistake. We need to look at this and make the necessary changes for the future of our planet.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
If humans suddenly disappear outright, I think it would only take a week for earth to show improvement.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well rather Mother Earth is getting a much needed, long long overdue small respite from all the havoc we've been wrecking.
I also find many comments worrying that I see online. People pondering how much Earth would regenerate in this time. But even if it would last the whole year it would be rather meaningless if we continued just like before after the crisis is over.

So let's all hope we take some important lessons away from this.

(Having said that, I am also happy about all good news we get - as small as they might seem)

I'm hoping attitudes about remote working will have lasting changes, which will have a positive impact on work-life balance and the environment.

But I think in general we're going to just try and play catch-up and undo a lot of it.