• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
What?

Care to elaborate on your '…'s?
You said you could almost guarantee no one else on this board would like the film, I'm just pointing out that you are in fact wrong as I find it to be an enjoyable pop corn film.

I've no idea why you decided to bring the racism argument into it, I never questioned you on that at all.

Jun 6, 2018
I think the casting choice for Cletus is pretty bad. It seems like they're hiding a lot of the movie, the trailers don't really show that much except snippets. Not a complaint I'm kinda happy Sony isn't throwing shit out left right and centre but it kinda makes me suspect this is going to be a bad movie

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
What?

Care to elaborate on your '…'s?
You said you could almost guarantee no one else on this board would like the film, I'm just pointing out that you are in fact wrong as I find it to be an enjoyable pop corn film.

I've no idea why you decided to bring the racism argument into it, I never questioned you on that at all.

The racism is stupidly pervasive and is one of the most notable elements of an otherwise poor popcorn film, alongside the sexism and American jingoism. You can't cape for Revenge for the Fallen without caping for Spongebob being an awful black stereotype and John Turturro pointing out Devastator's giant dangling nutsack, that's why so few people do it.

Even the general internet space knows Revenge of the Fallen isn't worth it, you honestly expect liberal-ass ResetEra to be different?

To at least drag this back on topic, I would never compare Venom or Venom 2 to it precisely because Transformers 2 has so many cards stacked against it in principle, though I'll also fully acknowledge I have no idea how so many people loved Venom as a mindless popcorn film. I honestly believe people just wanted a more accurate Venom to cleanse the palate from Topher Grace that badly considering how messy the movie otherwise.

I think the casting choice for Cletus is pretty bad. It seems like they're hiding a lot of the movie, the trailers don't really show that much except snippets. Not a complaint I'm kinda happy Sony isn't throwing shit out left right and centre but it kinda makes me suspect this is going to be a bad movie

Yeah I'm not the hugest fan of Harrelson as Carnage either, I like him as an actor but he just doesn't seem like a fit for this knockoff Hannibal take they're doing. Honestly when I think live-action Carnage the first thing I think of is Jackie Earle Haley's Rorschach from Watchmen. Carnage is basically a slasher villain, you need someone who can pull that kind of energy off.

uncledonnie

Oct 26, 2017
Taken on it's own as a stupid fun movie the first Venom is barely passable -- this somehow looks worse. I'll still end up seeing it because I'm a big fan of Venom from the comics and I'll take what I can get.

As a building block for the cinematic universe Sony is trying to build... I don't see this helping much.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
14 million views in one day and dislike ratio seems just fine. Was wondering why so many here hated it but this looks awesome. It's probably because I've always been a Carnage stan since that Spider-man game on the PS1(where Venom was also a comedic "bad guy") but he looks just fine here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
They really telegraphed a lot in this trailer, lol.

Can't wait to see it like I did the first movie: When the Blu-Ray has a price error on Amazon.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
14 million views in one day and dislike ratio seems just fine. Was wondering why so many here hated it but this looks awesome. It's probably because I've always been a Carnage stan since that Spider-man game on the PS1(where Venom was also a comedic "bad guy") but he looks just fine here.
That is probably my only exposure to carnage tbh. I liked him in it a lot from what I remember.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
We really gonna relitigate Transformers movies critical status because of an offhand comment in a Venom Trailer thread?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
All this Venom love is encouraging that people can just appreciate goofiness and just something different in the superhero film realm. I wish this audience was there for Ghost Rider 2 and giving us more Neveldine/Taylor superhero movies!

Blade, Punisher, these types of Marvel films are more my jam.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Just have a random black woman only scream through out the trailer....

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be so less annoyed by the first movie if they didn't decide "let's waste Riz Ahmed on one of the dumb throwaway symbiotes". Just let him be Elon Musk, being a bloodsucking asshole endangering homeless people and leave it at that. Maybe he has some shitbag goons you can use in a flashy fight. Whatever. All the Riot stuff fucking sucks, and really, the sell of "Venom has to fight an evil symbiote... again!" is a way less interesting one.
I like the tacked on story that Riot was the jock of symbiotes

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
When you don't have a point, you latch on to anything.

I had a point: a movie being popular doesn't mean it was good, which is what someone else claimed earlier. I then used Revenge of the Fallen as an example to counter that -- popular but unquestionably a poorly made film in just about every possible filmmaking metric while being hugely problematic on top of that.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I did not make it through the first movie, boredom took me, so I am not exactly hyped about a sequel. Hope it's good for those who are excited for it.

Dec 16, 2017
Yeah I'm not the hugest fan of Harrelson as Carnage either, I like him as an actor but he just doesn't seem like a fit for this knockoff Hannibal take they're doing. Honestly when I think live-action Carnage the first thing I think of is Jackie Earle Haley's Rorschach from Watchmen. Carnage is basically a slasher villain, you need someone who can pull that kind of energy off.

Have you seen Natural Born Killers?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Early 2000s Marvel is the best Marvel
Woody could play this role in his sleep, but my first thought for Cletus was Walton Goggins

That said, he's too good for this dumb shit lol

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I mean there's kind of nothing interesting about these films besides Hardy chewing the scenery. It's not like they are working with premier marvel source material.
It makes sense given that Hardy was hired before there was a director and a writer. I wouldn't be surprised if it was pitched to him like he basically got free-reign to make a lot of the creative decisions. It make sense that the film basically works on the level of whether Hardy's acting works for audiences or not.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Morbius was basically the same for Leto, basically a vehicle for the actor to ham it up with a comic premise loosely draped around it.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
The first film was no masterpiece but I found it enjoyable.

Bring on goof ball Brock.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've been waiting all my life to see both venom and carnage on the big screen..

I CANNOT wait!
X3GhBi.gif

As long as this doesn't have another 40min opening slog, I'll be happy.

How Kasady gets "infected" is shit though.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn straight

I don't mind comic ass movies but I really like these types of movies too. There is space for both styles.
I've been waiting all my life to see both venom and carnage on the big screen..

I CANNOT wait!
X3GhBi.gif

As long as this doesn't have another 40min opening slog, I'll be happy.

How Kasady gets "infected" is shit though.
LMAO at that gif

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finally finished watching Venom an it was not good, so I'm going to say that the new film is going to be way better since I think the first film suffered from a Director that didn't know what to do with it.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
What fan event did you go to our of curiosity? Iirc, they've also showed a early screening of the new Ghostbusters.
A fan screening of the film in London - they said it is the first one globally. Hardy and Serkis were both there to talk about the film.

A bit weird that there was no NDA as there usually is, they only said no full reviews until the 30th lol.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
A fan screening of the film in London - they said it is the first one globally. Hardy and Serkis were both there to talk about the film.

A bit weird that there was no NDA as there usually is, they only said no full reviews until the 30th lol.
Spill the beans anything interesting happen in it? Better then the first?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Saw one person say the mid-credits scene was quite good, can you spoil it for us? Maybe spoiler tag it just in case so people who come into this thread don't actually read up on it.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Spill the beans anything interesting happen in it? Better then the first?
I haven't actually seen the first embarrassingly, but the person I went with said he felt it was weaker. There were a load of good action sequences though - happy to answer any specific questions.
Saw one person say the mid-credits scene was quite good, can you spoil it for us? Maybe spoiler tag it just in case so people who come into this thread don't actually read up on it.

Ok, but this is by far the most interesting thing in the film so bare that in mind/don't read if you hate spoilers.
yes, the end credit shows Eddie and Venom in a house on the beach having gone into hiding after defeating Carnage. Venom says he can show Eddie 1 second of what him and his kind have been through and does. Suddenly everything changes and a TV is on. It shows Tom Holland's spidey and Venom says 'I hate that guy' and licking the screen aggressively - cut to black. I guess Venom is officially in MCU and a film with him/spidey is next.