• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like since it's Amy Pascal it's a guarantee we'll be presented all the following things over the 100 or so minutes that is the Venom movie:

Bang for your buck. I'm sure the writers have it all figured out.

I'm not sure what this means because the last 3 produced movies under her belt are Spider-Man Homecoming, The Post, and Molly's Game. After that she has Barbie (ehhh), The Girl in the Spider's Web (definitely no Spider-Man related) and then Venom. Her first, Ghostbusters being the only "miss" and even then it reviewed well enough.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the movie is going to turn out good with the excellent cast they have lined up.

Last edited:

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Fuck yeh!

Love me some symbiotes!!

giphy.gif

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
If people are awry on classic Venom, what would you prefer?
Yet another tacticool shooter with Agent Venom? Anti-Venom?
Or maybe no Venom movie at all?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, Carnage in the first movie as well?

Kind of old news, well before this.

Sony has confirmed that Carnage will be the main antagonist in Venom, the upcoming movie starring Tom Hardy as the titular anti-hero. There isn't a casting announcement yet but you can bet this will be a role that demands a lot. Carnage is basically the Joker of the Spider-Man world. He's joyously evil and isn't afraid of murdering plenty of people just for the fun of it.

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/ve...g-solo-film?li_source=LI&li_medium=wikia-rail

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Let's just hope that Venom and Carnage are not multiple personalities of Eddie Brock enhanced by the symbiote in this movie.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
People didn't exactly go watch Homecoming for the Vulture, the Shocker and the Tinkerer now, did they?
Comparing a Spider-Man movie to a Venom movie is not a just comparison.
Spider-Man anything will sell tickets.
Venom film one will sell tickets based on a new hero getting a film + a villain with a familiar name.
Venom 2 will sell based on amazing advertisements and a villain/co-star with an even more familiar name.

Example: Spider-Man 2 = great advertising + Dr. Fucking Octopus. Hell yeah im gonna watch that.

Example 2: X-Men 2 = great advertising + Night Fucking Crawler. Hell yeah im gonna watch that.

Example 3: Fantastic Four 2 = alright advertising + Silver Surfer... I cant believe they tricked me into watching that

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
If people are awry on classic Venom, what would you prefer?
Yet another tacticool shooter with Agent Venom? Anti-Venom?
Or maybe no Venom movie at all?
A dark detective/horror film y the following:
Writer - Andrew Kevin Walker
Director - David Fincher or Brian De Palma
Venom - Tom Hardy as journalist Eddie Brock
Carnage - Jackie Earl Haley

Set in a mid-90's L.A. Eddie Brock is a crime journalist who made his big break exposing a Zodiac-esque killer several years before he had named the "Sin-Eater", a former LAPD detective named Stanley Carter. As he's investigating a new string of copycat murders he begins to believe his story led to the conviction of an innocent man. Conflicted as this threatens his celebrity journalist status he begins to investigate further. During the investigation he comes into contact with the symbiote at the scene of the last Sin-Eater killing. He finds a link between Cletus Kasady (played by Haley) who had in fact been on a murder spree from Kentucky to L.A. (mild reference to Kalifornia here), arriving shortly before the Sin-Eater killings started. This occurs in a confrontation in which Kasady attempts to murder Brock at the location of the last real Sin-Eater murder, where the symbiote had separated from Carter and remained in a dormant state over the last several years. During the conflict the symbiote emerges in an attempt to protect Brock. He then violently beats Kasady in Venom form and leaves him on the verge of death as he runs from the scene, sirens in the background. Kasady bonds with an offspring of the symbiote, saving his life and also aiding his escape from the scene just before police arrive.

Brock is conflicted as to whether he can safely publish a story on Kasady, knowing that it may both undermine his previous success in what he believes at this point to have been the unintentional framing of Stanley Carter. The plot is ultimately resolved when Brock finds evidence that Carter was the real Sin-Eater and that Kasady had, only recently begun copying Carter as he is obsessed with serial killers and has effectively been paying "homages" to various noteworthy killers since he started killing people in Kentucky (his first being killing his parents with an axe a la Lizzie Borden).

This lets the plot set up a few twists. For starters you could make it a good chunk of the way through the movie without revealing that the person Brock exposed was Carter, not Gregg. Second, you would lead the audience down the path of Carter's innocence, only to then turn it around later.

The whole thing would then conclude in a big epic payoff CG shitshow because ultimately that's what people what in a super-hero movie. Kasady goes to prison but with symbiote in tact he's like to remain long. Brock assumes an alter-ego as a quasi-super-hero in Venom, writing puff pieces about himself as a journalist, feeding into his egomania. This sets the stage for either A. Brock's redemption into a more heroic role or B. a full heel turn where he begins perpetuate crime in order to give Venom people to foil and Brock stories to write about Venom's heroism.

Something like that.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie will end with Tom Holland's Peter Parker waking up in bed suddenly in a cold sweat and realizing he just had a bad dream.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The only issue is Tom Hardy is like 5'9 and not that intimidating but nothing CGI can't fix. Couldn't really take him seriously in Bronson but hey Tom Cruise is an action hero too. Carnage for the first one seems a bit much though.

Are you serious? Go watch his movies and TV shows. Guy can do intimidating like no other.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
So they're either taking a ton of liberties or the story is going to feel like a rushed mess. I hope It's good though.

You know at least it'll be far better then the horrible take on the character from Spiderman 3.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm not sure what this means because the last 3 produced movies under her belt are Spider-Man Homecoming, The Post, and Molly's Game. After that she has Barbie (ehhh), The Girl in the Spider's Web (definitely no Spider-Man related) and then Venom. Her first, Ghostbusters being the only "miss" and even then it reviewed well enough.

Well, it was supposed to be more of a joke about Sony's history of overloading their Spider-Man films. I guess it just kind of got muddied up because I've heard people say they greatly enjoy working with Kevin Feige, but that Pascal added a lot of stress to production while on homecoming. But I'm sure it's nothing out of the ordinary for film producers in general, it's only a contrast because Feige is apparently a dreamboat collaborator.

There's articles that say Feige really earnestly wanted to help with The Amazing Spider-Man, despite having no business interest in it, and did his best to soffer consultation. So I reckon he probably had some really helpful guiding principles for the Venom movie. Really, at the end of the day, I'm sure this Venom movie will be a much truer interpretation than Spider-Man 3.

I am kind of apprehensive about all the marvel characters that were showcased in the x-treme, edgelord, wearing-all-black 90s; but like, I was blown away at Punisher in season 2 of Daredevil in a way I never thought I could be with that character. Though I've always enjoyed Ennis' Welcome Back Frank arc, it has a little absurdist quality to it. Jeph Loeb, Doug Petrie, and Marco Ramirez actually figured out a way to really convey the tragedy of Frank Castle.

There have been some ridiculous uses for Venom and symbiotes in general, but you have an actor now in Tom Hardy who appears to love the character of Venom as much as Ryan Renolds loved Deadpool or Hugh Jackman loved Wolverine. I'm sure it's gonna be like nothing we've ever seen with the character, in a good way.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it was supposed to be more of a joke about Sony's history of overloading their Spider-Man films. I guess it just kind of got muddied up because I've heard people say they greatly enjoy working with Kevin Feige, but that Pascal added a lot of stress to production while on homecoming. But I'm sure it's nothing out of the ordinary for film producers in general, it's only a contrast because Feige is apparently a dreamboat collaborator.

There's articles that say Feige really earnestly wanted to help with The Amazing Spider-Man, despite having no business interest in it, and did his best to soffer consultation. So I reckon he probably had some really helpful guiding principles for the Venom movie. Really, at the end of the day, I'm sure this Venom movie will be a much truer interpretation than Spider-Man 3.

I am kind of apprehensive about all the marvel characters that were showcased in the x-treme, edgelord, wearing-all-black 90s; but like, I was blown away at Punisher in season 2 of Daredevil in a way I never thought I could be with that character. Though I've always enjoyed Ennis' Welcome Back Frank arc, it has a little absurdist quality to it. Jeph Loeb, Doug Petrie, and Marco Ramirez actually figured out a way to really convey the tragedy of Frank Castle.

There have been some ridiculous uses for Venom and symbiotes in general, but you have an actor now in Tom Hardy who appears to love the character of Venom as much as Ryan Renolds loved Deadpool or Hugh Jackman loved Wolverine. I'm sure it's gonna be like nothing we've ever seen with the character, in a good way.

Yeah you're right. As someone who grew up watching the Spider-Man animated series, I really do hope they can translate him well to 2018.

That said Tom Hardy is one of my favorite actors working currently and he rarely disappoints. Sure he may be in bad movies, but not necessarily because of him. I even enjoyed watching Legend. His performances I really liked.