• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Detroit: Become Human, the PlayStation 4 exclusive released by Quantic Dream on May 25th, 2018, was the last project borne out of the exclusive agreement the French studio had signed with Sony. This sparked speculation that Quantic Dream could go multiplatform in the future and yesterday's announcement of a deal made with NetEase confirmed as much.

David Cage, Founder and CEO of Quantic Dream, was interviewed by GamesBeat ahead of this reveal. He revealed that Detroit: Become Human did very well in Japan and across all Asia, with global sales now 'closing in' on the three million units sold milestone.
We wanted Detroit: Become Human to be a thought-provoking experience that would also evoke some sensitive real world issues. We expected the game to be polarizing with some press, but we don't believe any medium can progress solely through consensus.

Detroit is certainly a radical proposition for some people, but the most important thing for us was the amazing reception the game received from gamers, which has translated into our studio's biggest commercial success to date. Eight months following the release, we are closing in on 3 million units sold worldwide as an exclusive PS4 title. The game's commercial performance has been particularly noteworthy in Japan and across all Asia.

The game also got very high user scores. On Metacritic for instance, Detroit: Become Human has an 87 percent average user score. That was the 7th best user-rated PS4 game of 2018 and enabled us to enter the Top 20 of the best ever user-rated PS4 games.

The community supporting the game is absolutely amazing and we are delighted to see how Detroit is able to bring people together around the world. This reception is really energizing for the whole team and we are extremely grateful for that.
more at link

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I keep seeing people mentioning that 3-games contract on every thread.
Is that a real thing or just rumors from the internet? Because I never heard anything related to that until very recently and out of nowhere.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing people mentioning that 3-games contract on every thread.
Is that a real thing or just rumors from the internet? Because I never heard anything related to that until very recently and out of nowhere.
It's not a real thing. It was done on a game by game basis not a three game contract.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great news! Can't wait for their next PS exclusive.
giphy.gif

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Already surpassed Beyond's numbers without even being on shelves for a year. If Sony was willing to fund another game after Beyond then I assume QD was eager to go multiplatform once Detroit was done, as opposed to being left in the lurch by Sony.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm not a fan of their games nor a fan of David Cage, nor a fan of the sexual harassment culture faced by Quantic Dream developers, clearly there is a passionate fanbase for their games and I'm happy for those fans.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Being a third party contract between Sony and an independent dev, Sony must not have made any money from these 3 games.

As letting QD go independent with these kind of sales is crazy

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Being a third party contract between Sony and an independent dev, Sony must not have made any money from these 3 games.

As letting QD go independent with these kind of sales is crazy
"Letting QD go independent?" What?

Also, congrats to the team! The game was fun, and I really enjoyed my time with it. Glad to see others are as well!

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
With sales like this I would have thought Sony would have bought them.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Hoping their next game story would be lighter/comedy one.

And no, I don't mean "unintentional comedy" but real funny one.

Too many serious AAA video game story these days.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
So am I the only one that finds it weird that netease invested in them? Cause netease seems very much like the "games as service" type of company, something that QD isn't known for... unless they plan to move into that space. Anyway, hope they make that dark sorcer demo or what ever it was called a full game, the same way they did with Detroit. Not sure how well they'll be able to pull off (intended) comedy, but it could be a nice change of pace amongst all these light adventure games.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
It's great that they stay independent. With the expansion they can also probably handle more than one project at the time.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were contracted by sony of ms for exclusive games in the future too besides the netease project.

I suspect netease wants them to make episodic games which I personally don't like (I'm more of a one and done type of person) but hopefully they will also put out full games in the future.

In any case this is a win for Connor :)

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
We wanted Detroit: Become Human to be a thought-provoking experience that would also evoke some sensitive real world issues.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Look, I adore this game. It was in my Top 10. But I hate that they talk up this aspect because its take on these "issues" is neither particularly unique or well-done.

There's an entertaining pulp story here with some really well-written and acted characters, and it moved me to tears more than once. It's a bummer so many people wrote it off (not that I blame them) because of how they framed it like they made "To Kill a Mockingdroid"

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Netease took out a minor stake in the company, and as a result QD are making a "multi-player" engine

Take that how you will
That's disconcerting. Hopefully it's some side project that won't impact their single player adventure games that I adore. But I've been hurt before...