• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
venturebeat.com

Google Stadia’s data use is over 100MB per minute at 1080p

Google Stadia's streaming can use a lot of data even at 1080p, and that's going to add up quickly for anyone worried about a data cap.

Google Stadia is every bit the data hog that everyone was expecting. The service warns that it can use between 4.5GB and 20GB of data per hour. Where you'll fall within that range depends on the quality of the video feed you get from Stadia. But I didn't want to just take Google's word for this, so I set up a quick test. At 4K and 60 frames per second, 20GB per hour seems right in line with my experience.

Read the article they do some rough testing. But reading the numbers my comcast modem's port puckers up

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Morgan-Freeman-Good-Luck.gif

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
So an hour of gaming a day would use up 600 gigs of data per month? I have unlimited data but that's pretty high if you have a cap.

Last edited:

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
i have uncapped so not a concern for me. it could eat a gajillion geebees i dont care

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I have a 1TB cap with Xfinity. I would use up my entire allowance by the middle of month just on gaming lol this is DOA for me.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So an hour of gaming a day would use up 600 gigs of data? I have unlimited data but that's pretty high if you have a cap.

I get circa 180GB for one hour a day 30 days per month? It's 6GB per day unless I missed a zero somewhere.

Course thats for an hour. I can easily play destiny four to ten hours per day at times. Then again there are days I dont play at all. I'd estimate it 10-20 hours per week on average, which is what ~1.5-3 hrs per day on average? Actually not as bad as I thought when you put it that way.

TLDR Stadia uses more data than I thought, and probably you'd need to be uncapped or have a ~1TB cap and not be a voracious gamer.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Don't some people have data caps at 20GB?
What the fuck? I've heard that the USA has data caps on home connections for some reason but 20 GB? My data plan for my phone is 25 GB. My home connection has no caps of any kind, obviously.

Or were you talking about phone data caps?

Still fuck Stadia tho

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how this effects phones, a lot of phone plans say unlimited. But they throttle you after a certain amount

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Google just can't catch a break. They oversold this like the next revolution in gaming and it just goes from bad to worse.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
For 1080/120fps local streaming I use 40MB per second heh. EDIT nvm that's 40Mbps so 5 MBps

But yeah, for the internet with caps you wouldn't be able to use it for very long. I wonder how XCloud compares?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Holy moly. If you don't have data caps now, look for providers to scramble. That is insane data usage.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This seems untenable right now. That is an "insane" number, but mainly because we think in the lines of data caps and whatnot.

Still. Cant work for most people right now.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I've put 50 hours into Death Stranding this month. That would have taken 1TB on Stadia. WTF?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, sorry, I forgot to add that was a monthly figure since that's how data caps are calculated. An hour of gaming a day at 20 gigs per hour data used would be 600 gigs per month. No?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
100MB * 60 = 6000MB/hr or 6GB/hr.

EDIT: Whoops. I did bytes instead of bits. Ignore my calculation.

Last edited:

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Service not targeted towards people with data caps and shoddy internet doesn't please people with data caps and shoddy internet. News at 11.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? I've heard that the USA has data caps on home connections for some reason for 20 GB? My data plan for my phone is 25 GB. My home connection has no caps of any kind, obviously. What the hell lmao

Still fuck Stadia tho
tbh I don't know where you'd find a 20GB cap on a home connection unless it's like a satellite connection in a deep rural area, which you couldn't play stadia on anyway. mobile network though? for sure. even unlimited mobile plans all seem to have language that they'll throttle you after 20-50GB. most home data caps (for people with caps) are probably around the 1TB like you get with comcast.
Yes, sorry, I forgot to add that was a monthly figure since that's how data caps are calculated. An hour of gaming a day at 20 gigs per hour data used would be 600 gigs per month. No?
yep. streaming is a total data hog.