• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
This follows YouTuber rumors earlier this year that DICE is making Battlefield World War 2 for 2018, followed by Battlefield: Bad Company 3 for 20XX.

VentureBeat said:
Just like World War I got a sequel, Battlefield 1 is getting Battlefield 2 later this year. And as you might expect from that name, Battlefield 2 will return the series to World War II in a main entry for the first time since 2009's Battlefield 1943, GamesBeat has learned from sources familiar with EA's plans. These sources wish to remain anonymous.

I reached out to EA to offer a chance to comment. I'll update this story if it provides a statement.
EA and Battlefield developer DICE decided on this strategy several years ago. They knew they wanted to get away from the modern and near-future settings for a while, but it also didn't want to burn the WWII setting right away. This led the studio to start with WWI knowing that it could always still go to WWII with the next game if Battlefield 1 didn't work out. Of course, that wasn't the case — Battlefield I finished 2016 as the No. 2 best-selling game in the United States, according to the industry-tracking firm The NPD Group.
Source: https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/01/...-call-of-duty-back-to-world-war-ii-this-year/

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'd laugh if they actually call it Battlefield 2. What a clusterfuck that would be.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
YES PLEASE

Not crazy about the name, though. Battlefield 2 will always be the best Battlefield.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what COD will do this year. I can't imagine there being two WW2 games going head to head. Then again Treyarch is allowed to do their own thing given their success.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. They can follow that up with Battlefield 3 which is set in present day in a few years

I really hate the naming scheme because it just makes me feel old as hell but it is what it is

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'll have to see how they do it before I make any final judgements. If it's a slow experience like Battlefield 1 was, I'll have to pass.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping this grabs me more than Battlefield 1 did. I expect it will, as BF1942 was my first MP FPS obsession. Still, I was a bit surprised at how little I wanted to play Battlefield 1 after the first week or so.

Oct 28, 2017
And now we're going to get a bunch of WWII games again and we're gonna get bored of that again and the cycle continues ad infinitum.

Neptonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, AZ
First they made a Battlefront 2 (2017), now there is a Battlefield 2 (2018). Why is EA making it so difficult to talk about their old games.

Also god damn it where is my Bad Company 3

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
So,
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield Vietnam
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Battlefield 1
Battlefield 2

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I will allow it IF

A) It includes the best BF1942 maps without any cut backs to stuff like piloting aircraft carriers or B-17s

B) The intro is an exact HD remake of the 1942 intro

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Makes sense but I was hoping for a new modern day BF. I love 3 and 4 and BC games, all great. BF 1 is also great but I miss helicopters and some of the more radical things you could do in the modern day games.

I also want a sharp contrast between CoD and Battlefield because they've almost always been super on par in terms of setting and it kinda tires me out.

Perhaps Black Ops 4 will be modern day or future or Vietnam.