• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

Regulators in the United States and Europe approved Microsoft's acquisition of Zenimax Media, and that means Bethescda is now an Xbox studio. But what does that mean for the companies involved and for fans of games like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls? Well, Microsoft is going to start answering those questions with a video presentation on Thursday, March 11, according to sources familiar with the plans.

Microsoft is unlikely to get into the specifics about Bethesda's upcoming projects. Details about the previously announced sci-fi role-playing adventure Starfield will likely come this summer, so Xbox and Bethesda won't talk about that now. Instead, they will explain what the deal means for Xbox Game Pass subscribers.

In particular, a number of Bethesda games should make the leap to Game Pass soon. Microsoft will also use this time to reiterate that any future (and contractually eligible) game from under the Zenimax umbrella will hit Game Pass at launch.

Source: VentureBeat - Gamesbeat

Last edited by a moderator:

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I'm not going to get my hopes up on a "black-and-white answer," but that'd be awesome.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
If they're not confirming platform exclusivity... What exactly are they confirming? "Every Bethesda Game On Game Pass" felt like the initial announcement when the merger was made public. Just reiterating that point seems... pointless?

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
giphy.gif

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
If they're not willing to give a black and white answer I think that says everything, honestly.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think MS will be quite clear. if you want to play Bethesda games you will need an Xbox / Gamepass or a PC / Gamepass / Steam.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
It's ridiculous that MS has to answer to what is clearly common sense, that their own games will be exclusive to their platform. But here we are anyways.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I think MS will be quite clear. if you want to play Bethesda games you will need an Xbox / Gamepass or a PC / Gamepass / Steam.

I really hope they are this clear one way or another. Rip the bandaid off now, let the riots play out this week, that way when they show off Starfield in June people will have cooled off and can instead focus on how the game looks

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it is best people accept that the worst is happening and they won't come to PS anymore. That way nobody will be disappointed.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
This is the dumbest dance I've seen the industry engage in for quite some time.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
It's ridiculous that MS has to answer to what is clearly common sense, that their own games will be exclusive to their platform. But here we are anyways.

It has and will always be like this for MS. My favorite from recent memory is, "Is Gamepass profitable? Is it sustainable?"

Spencer - "Just STFU, let us worry about sustainability, and play games."

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Lol they're not doing this to solve confusion, they're doing this to generate publicity. Literally 0% of the reason for this is to answer that question, it's purely a PR thing

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If they're not confirming platform exclusivity... What exactly are they confirming? "Every Bethesda Game On Game Pass" felt like the initial announcement when the merger was made public. Just reiterating that point seems... pointless?

I don't think it'll be for the likes of us. The folks that want the inside scoop and the gritty, boring business deals.

It'll be for your everyday gamer who might not even know the name 'Bethesda' or 'id' or 'Machinegames'. It'll probably just be saying "hey, you know Skyrim and Doom and Quake and Fallout and Wolfenstein and Dishonored etc? They're now all under Xbox Game Studios and the new ones will be coming to Game Pass so please subscribe if you haven't."

At a guess. I imagine it'll be a whirlwind tour of what the various Zenimax devs make and what that means for Xbox/Game Pass.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the came out and said all Bethesda games will only come out for Xbox/PC, there'd still be people arguing about how they would release on PS5 as well.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Finally, everyone gets the answer on whether Microsoft goes true console exclusive or shares the wealth.
giphy.gif

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
My guess; they don't say anything until after Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo are out.

Saying "all Bethesda games are exclusive to Xbox (except these two which are actually not on Xbox at all, yet, but will be later)" is such a weird, mixed message. Its so much easier for them to put out the statement a year from now that all games going forward will be Xbox-exclusive, and tie that into the big reveal of Starfield or something.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, really interested to hear more. Unfortunately my prediction is that we'll have just as many questions as answers after the video with regards to the exclusivity question, but we'll see... I hope it's not the case though!

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I'd really like to see the new Doom ports on Game Pass.

Maybe Xbox should work on some Quake ports as well.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed, I really don't get how there's been so much debate around it. You don't slap down that amount of cash and keep it multiplatform. It's a straight up power play getting all those games as exclusives (bar previously announced titles). If they put TES6 multiplatform, why wouldn't they do the same with Halo Infinite? The answer is they wouldn't.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I don't expect and clear answers. I think they will only announce platforms for games individually as they are announced. I hope I am wrong.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
For the love of god please answer it so we don't all have to see the same arguments ad nauseum

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
My guess; they don't say anything until after Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo are out.

Saying "all Bethesda games are exclusive to Xbox (except these two which are actually not on Xbox at all, yet, but will be later)" is such a weird, mixed message. Its so much easier for them to put out the statement a year from now that all games going forward will be Xbox-exclusive, and tie that into the big reveal of Starfield or something.
Ghostwire doesn't even have a hard release date, it's set to release on ''Fall 2021'' If I recall correctly, it would be a long wait for both MS and us if they want this game to release first to give any definitive statement.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
One thing I'm interested in to see if MS gets around their Ghost Wire / Deathloop exclusivity windows with PlayStation.

Either through a deal, ignoring the contract and paying a penalty, or releasing a Deathloop: Enhanced Edition with like a legally distinct title.

Jan 4, 2018
What zenimax games are not on gamepass right now?

- The Evil Within (never joined)
- The Evil Within 2 (never joined)
- DOOM 2016
- Prey
- Fallout 3
- Fallout 4
- Wolfenstein The New Order
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus
- Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (never joined)
- Dishonored Definitive Edition (never joined)
- Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (never joined)
- Oblivion
- Morrowind (maybe, it's a OG Xbox game) (never joined)
- RAGE (never joined I believe)
- maybe Quake Champions on PC (never joined)
- DOOM 3 (maybe they can add 1 and 2 too) (never joined)

Currently on the Game Pass:
- Fallout 76
- Fallout: New Vegas (Obsidian)
- Skyrim
- Dishonored 2
- The Elder Scrolls Online
- DOOM Eternal
- Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Not backward-compatible:
- Quake 4

Last edited:

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they will remove the zenimax games from psnow?! I better get on them lol

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
X|S upgrades to accompany some of the bigger titles' release on GamePass would be amazing. Most high profile XGS games have gotten that treatment.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Ghostwire doesn't even have a hard release date, it's set to release on ''Fall 2021'' If I recall correctly, it would be a long wait for both MS and us if they want this game to release first to give any definitive statement.
October 2021 to be exact from the removed text in that Sony CES video. I assume they'll start taking preorders for it after the PS Summer Showcase.

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020
Well its "easy" to make the game launch exclusive because always have the chance to release later in the other plataform.