• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Gonna piggyback for a different question: what's the latest on that rumored Perfect Dark game? What I remember is that there was enough smoke to suggest something was in development. I think Krobille dug up some info, including some evidence The Coalition might be handling it. But nobody knew who the actual dev was, or really anything else.

Is that right?
One of the last rumours is that PD is what The Initiative are doing. All smoke so far, of course.

Nov 12, 2017
The right person in the right position . He make sure that the division look so dynamic that feel like everyday something big gonna happen.
After the X i honestly cant waiting to see a next gen system designed entirely under his supervision

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Satya and Microsoft keep winning. MS is the most valuable company in the world right now.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Now is the time.

Bring back XSN Sports!
XSN_Sports.jpg
Man I'd run out my house bare footed in the snow if this was brought back

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boy someone certainly did a good job with marketing him to gamers and shit. Jesus christ.
Has nothing to do with Marketing, Xbox started to take a slow but gradual downward spiral in 2008 after Peter Moore left for EA and things have began to improve in 2014 after Don Mattrick resigned.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think people sometimes look at the studio acquisitions a bit too literally in the sense that they did this to pump out video games. I don't necessarily think this is all about game studio acquisitions to pump out more games. I think this is part of Microsoft's plan to speed up the technological progress of Microsoft's cloud and software innovation. Whatever these game studios learn and execute can be leaned heavily on other divisions in MSFT. Additionally, they can incorporate gaming software and interactive software more readily than any other software, cloud, or tech company. Much like how the US military affects technology advancements, I can imagine these studio acquisitions paying off for MSFT in a heavy way. MSFT is playing the long game and is interested in something entirely different than any other publishing or gaming company.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
It's impressive how he not only kept Xbox relevant under the given market conditions but was also able to lay a solid groundwork for the future of his division as well.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Phil is killing it.

It won't stop platform fanboys from hoping MS stops making gaming consoles, though.

They'll continue to be disappointed. But only because of Phil.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people have had their mind made up about Spencer for a long time, and criticisms have changed to accommodate that, but we are far past the point of being able to say Phil "only" reversed old and terrible policies.

Spencer is the best person they could have tapped to take over. The results are indisputable.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox One had a rocky launch, but Spencer is turning it around, setting up next-gen for Microsoft to be ridiculous. Proper backwards compatibility with actual enhancements, Game Pass, xCloud, more and more new studios, accessibility options, opening up to new (old?) markets, the awesome Xbox One X, Play Anywhere, more Japanese games... this generation's pretty much gone and done but next-gen will have a much different look for Microsoft surely. Had Microsoft's 2012-2013 strategies continued I'm not even sure they'd be necessarily wanting to make a proper next-gen console, Spencer's approach definitely had a huge hand in turning the Xbox product around though.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
After this generation of me totally skipping Xbox, he has made it look interesting again for next gen. I'm open for both Playstation and Xbox.

Colossal Moo

Jan 13, 2018
Has nothing to do with Marketing, Xbox started to take a slow but gradual downward spiral in 2008 after Peter Moore left for EA and things have began to improve in 2014 after Don Mattrick resigned.

The other big loss in the late 2000s was Shane Kim. He did a really good job running Xbox's game organization and he was the reason the Xbox 360 had so many great games at the start of the generation. After he left, the number of Xbox exclusives went down. Mattrick never found a good replacement for him and it showed. First, you saw fewer exclusives. Second, Kinect just didn't have enough good software and one of the reasons was Mattrick did not have a good person running the Xbox games organization.

One of the things I really like is Phil S has a great job improving Xbox's exclusive games. He also did it the right way. He didn't just increase the quantity. He made sure he released good games people would actually want to play.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm excited for the next generation Xbox. Hope Microsoft returns to form and puts out a great lineup like the did in the Xbox and early 360 days.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Boy someone certainly did a good job with marketing him to gamers and shit. Jesus christ.
What? Phil has been on the gaming side for quite a while and it's pretty clear that he's the one that turned this generation around for Xbox. He salvaged the mess that Mattrick left. The proof is in the pudding.

The gaming industry would be much worse off without Microsoft. There were rumors earlier in this generation that they were thinking of getting rid of Xbox. So I think we all have to thank Phil for pulling through.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
What I need from Phil is some investment in Japanese exclusives, the likes that og Xbox and 360 got. Tell Sega to make JSR3, Crazy Taxi 4 and a new Panzer Dragoon, then get Lost Odyssey 2 and a new action game like Ninja Gaiden by Itagaki.

Xbox will always feel incomplete to me without its own brand of JPN exclusives.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They closed like 6-7 first-party studios in 2016, and that included losing exclusive partnerships with third-party devs like Remedy and Platinum.

They needed to, at some point, get back to where they were. It had to happen.

You know, I was actually thinking about this earlier in the week and I had a wee look at the OP in the Xbox First Party thread:

Twisted Pixel
Press Play
Lionhead
Team Dakota
Xbox Fitness Team
Decisive Games

Those are the studios we sadly lost this gen.

Playground Games
Ninja Theory
Undead Labs
Compulsion Games
The Initiative
inXile
Obsidian Entertainment

And those are the studios they have acquired this gen, not only are they a marked improvement (imo) but a few of them have multiple teams - Playground, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, inXile. Not forgetting the crazy hiring spree that most of the studios are currently going through.

They didn't just replace what they lost, they have grown on a huge scale.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I've witnessed the change since Phil Spencer has been able to cement his own stamp in this sector. It's an amazing difference. The buzz around Microsoft's gaming division is better than ever.

An positively endearing endeavour that will surely make people 'Jump In'.

Bravo Phil Spencer.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
You know, I was actually thinking about this earlier in the week and I had a wee look at the OP in the Xbox First Party thread:

Twisted Pixel
Press Play
Lionhead
Team Dakota
Xbox Fitness Team
Decisive Games

Playground Games
Ninja Theory
Undead Labs
Compulsion Games
The Initiative
inXile
Obsidian Entertainment

And those are the studios they have acquired this gen, not only are they a marked improvement (imo) but a few of them have multiple teams - Playground, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, inXile. Not forgetting the crazy hiring spree that most of the studios are currently going through.

Didn't you forget Ensemble? Either way, you're totally right. It's also important to point out that many of those teams, like Dakota for example, didn't shut down and fire everyone. They were put together with internal talent for a project and, after, reassigned to new or their old positions. In other words, that talent remains in the company.

Also, Playground's second team is so large that it has its own building, they could be considered an entirely independent studio.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't you forget Ensemble? Either way, you're totally right. It's also important to point out that many of those teams, like Dakota for example, didn't shut down and fire everyone. They were put together with internal talent for a project and, after, reassigned to new or their old positions. In other words, that talent remains in the company.

Also, Playground's second team is so large that it has its own building, they could be considered an entirely independent studio.

Ensemble were closed in what 2009 or 2010? The studios I mentioned were all closed in 2015 or 2016, when they also cancelled Fable Legends and Scalebound.

It's pretty easy to see that Phil didn't really control the budget during that period and they didnt really have a pot to piss in. Once the senior management reshuffle took place and he got a seat at the top table that all changed and Xbox and gaming in general is now an integral division within Microsoft.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

Twisted Pixel
Press Play
Lionhead
Team Dakota
Xbox Fitness Team
Decisive Games

Playground Games
Ninja Theory
Undead Labs
Compulsion Games
The Initiative
inXile
Obsidian Entertainment

Decisive Games never really got off the ground, so I don't think that one should count.

Would also like to add that while it's not a new studio, Rare is finally back in the land of traditional gaming. They were pretty much written off by enthusiast gamers in the Kinect era.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Phil has done a fantastic job turning the Xbox brand around after Mattrick nearly sunk it, next gen is shaping up to be amazing.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I wonder what sort of budget Phil has for first party acquisitions?
How much does say?, Ninja theory cost?and what exactly is one getting for there money when buying a developer?
I'm guessing they own the I.P, all staff contracts and company name?
How much does that cost?

What confuses me the most is why not start studios from ground up, that's how most Sony's first party studios came to be. I do hope they make some brand new studios to make brand new IPs instead of creating new studios only for their major IPs.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
What confuses me the most is why not start studios from ground up, that's how most Sony's first party studios came to be

Bend, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Guerrilla Games were all acquired by Sony + the defunct studios, like Zipper and Evolution.

Starting a new studio is time and money consuming, Xbox is not in the position to open 2-3 studios and wait 5-6 years to see games from these studios.
The Initiative is a new studio, PlayGround second team is a new studio as well.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I really hope Phil's bets come to fruition next gen. The turnaround for Xbox One has been good, but so far everything has been appetizers. I'm ready for the glory days of the OG Xbox.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What confuses me the most is why not start studios from ground up, that's how most Sony's first party studios came to be. I do hope they make some brand new studios to make brand new IPs instead of creating new studios only for their major IPs.

Xbox needs exclusives asap and building a studio from the ground is more difficult and risky than acquiring an existing one.

JohanKRS

Oct 27, 2017
Torres, RS - Brazil
I don't know if it is Phil making the higher ups at Microsoft more aware, or the other way around, but I think it's important that Microsoft always compete on its core strength, SOFTWARE. Game Pass was very forward thinking, and I really believe it will be the most important innovation in the next "generation" of gaming. As soon as you can use Game Pass on any device, Microsoft will have something very competitive on their hands.

I know it's just a blip on their radar, but I think hardware is an underrated strength at Microsoft. Their stuff, from keyboards to mice to controllers are great, and made to last (at least in my personal experience - excluding the launch X360, of course, but they learned that lesson).

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
$10 billion in revenue is nothing to fuck with. That a Xbox record? The article made it sound like it. How does that compare to Playststion or Nintendo?

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like they are going in the right direction although it is taking a while.

I definitely miss the OG xbox early 360 days when it seemed like Microsoft game studios were pumping out a new exciting huge IP every year or 2, Halo, Fable, Gears of War, Forza, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, even working with Japanese developers getting bunch of exclusives with Sega, Team Ninja, Mistwalker etc.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I love this false narrative that people constantly spout, lol. The Coalition, 343i, Turn10, The Initiative - all built from the ground up and Sony built who?

You were saying..... :)

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I love this false narrative that people constantly spout, lol. The Coalition, 343i, Turn10, The Initiative - all built from the ground up and Sony built who?

You were saying..... :)

Have you read what I said? Brand New IPs not studios to work on current long last standing IPs.

And I'm not driving any narrative mate, I'm a big Xbox fan and I am really happy that they are buying studios and getting rights to new IPs... I want competition and more good games that's all not driving any narrative like I said.

I would just like to see new studios from the ground up to work on new ideas.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you read what I said? Brand New IPs not studios to work on current long last standing IPs.

And I'm not driving any narrative mate, I'm a big Xbox fan and I am really happy that they are buying studios and getting rights to new IPs... I want competition and more good games that's all not driving any narrative like I said.

You said

What confuses me the most is why not start studios from ground up, that's how most Sony's first party studios came to be.

I was merely stating that's not quite right and that Xbox has a good mix of internally built studios and acquired one's.

Anyway, what are Obsidian, inXile, Ninja Theory, Compulsion Games going to be working on? New IP I would imagine :)

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Who said anything about the studios they've bought being lumped onto existing IP? devs like Ninja Theory and Obsidian are gonna go off and make new IP's, that's what they do, would be counter productive to buy them and have them make Halo spin offs.

On top of that, they're building the Initiative from the ground up to attract talent and presumbly make something's that'll go toe to toe with Naughty Dog and SSM.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Bend, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Guerrilla Games were all acquired by Sony + the defunct studios, like Zipper and Evolution.

Starting a new studio is time and money consuming, Xbox is not in the position to open 2-3 studios and wait 5-6 years to see games from these studios.
The Initiative is a new studio, PlayGround second team is a new studio as well.

It's crazy that people continue to ignore this to push narratives, lol. Not talking about the guy you're quoting per se, but some other people in general.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy that people continue to ignore this to push narratives, lol. Not talking about the guy you're quoting per se, but some other people in general.
I get why some people are reacting. Announcing six new acquisitions in such a short time span is unprecedented and comes off as less organic than Sony's slower 1st party expansion. From someone who isn't that knowledgable about Microsoft Studios and only knows what they've read the last half year it can sort of look like MS is only focused on buying out studios.

Still doesn't excuse pure ignorance though. And using silly criterias to brush away the new studios that Xbox has created is just weird.

"Well yeah... I get that Xbox has more studios now, but when are they going to create a North American west coast studio that is not situated in Washington or California?! Canada doesn't count."

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely excited about what MS has up their sleeves for next gen.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
That's quite an achievement because it seems Nadella wasn't a big gaming supporter when it took the reins of the company.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Funny seeing them say what I've been saying for fucking forever with game pass will have streaming apart of it. More and more talks just harden my stance that the multiplayer paywall will go away and $10 will be the entry to the xbox ecosystem. But yea...i'll wait for the confirmation from Microsoft themselves since people here think I was crazy with my predictions.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Am pretty sure Xbox One would have been the last MS console if it wasn't for Spencer. I am also beyond confident the Xbox One X would have never come out.

Myerson wanted nothing to do with Xbox, and that is probably why they even started the crossplay and playanywhere Initiative with PC to slowly move on from Xbox.

I am glad Nadella listened to Spencer. To my understandin, he also wanted nothing to do with Xbox because he didn't understand that market (myerson didn't help that consensus either)

Next Gen is going to be ridiculous. I don't think many simply don't understand how different the launch will be for next gen.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Still doesn't excuse pure ignorance though. And using silly criterias to brush away the new studios that Xbox has created is just weird.

"Well yeah... I get that Xbox has more studios now, but when are they going to create a North American west coast studio that is not situated in Washington or California?! Canada doesn't count."

Agreed. Like I've been saying for the past year, certain people are going to have a really hard time come next gen.

Next Gen is going to be ridiculous. I don't think many simply don't understand how different the launch will be for next gen.

I've been saying this, as well. We've never seen Xbox like this before and this time we have the complete backing of the world's richest company behind it, to boot.