• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
destiny_shadowkeep_1.jpg

Great article. Long read.

Here are a few quotes from the article:

I thought Bungie, the famed creator of Halo, would forever remain frustratingly stuck between delivering what it's best at and what it hoped to achieve. The studio is unrivaled at designing exhilarating fantasy firearms to shoot at monstrous, primordial aliens, all against the backdrop of awe-inspiring, otherworldly vistas. But it's fallen short of mixing those high-octane mechanical elements with the narrative and social scope of a true massively multiplayer online game, in the vein of World of Warcraft and other titles that inspired it.

I also thought Destiny would remain beholden to its publisher Activision, resulting in all sorts of decision-making and business choices that run counter to delivering the best possible product. For instance, I believed all the progress I've sunk into the game on PS4, including more than 700 hundred hours of Destiny 2, would remain stuck there

Shadowkeep, the latest expansion for Destiny 2, has made me reconsider all of this. The game now features cross-save, meaning I've moved my account over to Steam on PC, after Bungie split with Activision and acquired the rights to the game earlier this year. The studio has also restructured its entire release model to accommodate a new free-to-play version, a seasonal battle pass to help fund future expansions, and an ambitious release model that promises new activities and interweaving storylines at a steady clip throughout the year, instead of in large batches that dry up quickly.

Shadowkeep itself is not the biggest or most ambitious expansion the series has ever seen — that continues to be last year's Forsaken. It's also not the most impressive from a narrative standpoint, as some of its new missions and activities feel a bit too steeped in the game's arcane backstory. But taking into account those long-term changes to how the game will be designed and distributed, as well as played across platforms, Shadowkeep is without a doubt the strongest representation of Bungie's ultimate vision for Destiny to date.

Yet evaluating the success or failure of Destiny and any of its expansions is less about critiquing the story or the individual moving parts, and more about how the game treats your time. And overall, Bungie has overhauled Destiny 2 in surprising ways that make it feel like it's stepping much closer to the true shooter-MMO hybrid it was always designed to be.

Bungie is asking its players for trust. If I were asked to make that same leap of faith last year, ahead of Forsaken and when the game seemed to be at its lowest point, I would have walked away. But I'm glad I stuck with Destiny 2, because it's done nothing but improve in the months since. After Shadowkeep, I feel confident the game will only continue to step closer to Bungie's grand vision it first conceived nearly a decade ago. And half a decade and thousands of hours later, I can easily see myself playing another five years of Destiny.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Honeymoon phase. IMO the changes are all positive but by end of November people will find the long term flaws with the new systems.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've heard this exact sentence with the last 3-4 Destiny releases and expansions which is why I've still never jumped in.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Copy and pasted environments, enemies and armor sets.

The way it was meant to be played!

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure Destiny is in a good spot now, but the phrase "Destiny is finally what it should have been!" has lost all meaning

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Maybe. Maybe not.

Day 1 (and all the way until Day 5) experience sucked, short campaign, only 2 strikes and a pointless activity (Nightmare Hunts), timegate content (althrough this was in Forsaken as well, but it didn't feel as bad as here). New Light players are also having a bad time jumping into Destiny for the first time. I think it was a big mistake to make everyone lvl 750, finish all their campaigns and barely explain anything.

Can any New Light players share their experience?

FWIW, there's a lot of changes to those "copy pasted" environments to the point I wouldn't call them copypastes.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't say. A game "should have been" the game but with 5 years of additional time in the oven?

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
You can literally apply logic to every single MMO, GaaS type game.
I'm more commenting on the style of article, that somehow Destiny has crossed a threshold now and is now feature complete. GaaS games should be judged by their velocity and not their state. So far content velocity hasn't increased that much, so the game will continue to have "droughts".

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've seriously got to disagree. Destiny could be so much more than "Kill 100 enemies of this type on the Moon" to progress story campaigns.

It's ridiculous, it sucks, and Bungie have to do better than it. That sort of crap is not what people are paying for.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It can basically be said for all things that get improved, for when something is improved on, it is obviously in the place it should have ideally been in, in contrast to its lesser state prior which was clearly not where it should have been given that we have now witnessed this newer, more improved state. Then it gets improved again into a new state that we newly identify as where it should have been all along.

Basically, whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
Noooooo, anything but options!

I mean there have been encounters in the game since vanilla that are almost impossible if all group members don't have a mic. Raids aren't bigger strikes. Can you imagine doing callus with 1 guy in the shadow realm being unable to call out their symbol?

No one else can see it and now it's a wipe.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see a variation of this headline every time Destiny releases a sequel/expansion. Then in a couple of weeks, everyone hates it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, we've reached the part in a Destiny thread where we argue raid matchmaking. Earlier than usual. Usually takes place at the end of the first page.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The environments are completely overrated. Yes, they're gorgeous, but they're insanely linear and small. Each "planet" is just a series of hallways and somewhat open spaces. You can get from one side to the other in just a few minutes.

Destiny has always had outstanding gameplay, but it's never been able to establish itself as a true MMO or open world type game for me. It's a good FPS game with faux RPG mechanics.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I swear this exact same headline was said when Forsaken came out

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The environments are completely overrated. Yes, they're gorgeous, but they're insanely linear and small. Each "planet" is just a series of hallways and somewhat open spaces. You can get from one side to the other in just a few minutes.

Destiny has always had outstanding gameplay, but it's never been able to esatblish itself as a true "MMO" or open world type game for me. It's a good FPS game with faux RPG mechanics.
I wish the gameplay on consoles didn't have insane lock-on/aim assist. Would actually enjoy it if so. As it is now it's got great feedback for powers and gunplay ruined by that.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I remember all the D2 articles on how it's destiny 1 without the horseshit....

For me it's diffrent for the sake of being different. Doing the same stuff just for slightly different goals now.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

Hardly, but thanks for not playing and providing a shit take.

It does have its issues though. PvP still isn't in a good place, and it seems there might be a issue with not enough loot to chase as the season gets long.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny raids are so complex you can't possibly think people you matchmake with, people who never use voice, would be able to figure it out and be competent enough to finish the encounters.
I mean there have been encounters in the game since vanilla that are almost impossible if all group members don't have a mic. Raids aren't bigger strikes. Can you imagine doing callus with 1 guy in the shadow realm being unable to call out their symbol?

No one else can see it and now it's a wipe.
If only there was a system in place that detects if a player has a mic 🤔

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
If only there was a system in place that detects if a player has a mic 🤔

And that's not enough either.

Mics cut out.

The D2 vanilla raid Leviathan, we had so many wipes because someone in the shadow realm's mic wasn't working well enough and couldnt hear their callouts.

You've obviously never seen a Destiny raid, and so you're just talking out your ass.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Hoping Destiny 3 doesn't open with a wet fart like the first two games. Not fond of starting GaaS games in the middle of their life so I hope that it comes out in the next 5 years.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thats fine; its your opinion but the millions of players that play it would prob disagree. Every aspect of the game has pretty much seen an improvement

I've been one of those "millions of players" for a large portion of Destiny's lifespan, it's one of my most played games ever. Destiny 2 has only been good during portions of Forsaken, most of the changes they feel like making are sidegrades at best and downgrades at worst.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
Forsaken felt like a special sea-change in what Destiny was/could be, but Shadowkeep feels like a few small tweaks that brings the game closer to Bungie's vision for the game. The fact that it takes place in a slightly changed vanilla Destiny area is hopefully just because Bungie has been devoting more energy and time to figuring out their new business model and separating from Activision. I'd really like to see a gigantic expansion next year with multiple new areas and systems.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I've come to terms that Shadowkeep has put Destiny on a fantastic new track after being initially disappointed with the barebones campaign content. The new Seasonal approach has fantastic potential.