• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure Thrill_house just wants what's best for people, and has shared as much of his time and wealth with the homeless or worldwide poor as he can, and isn't driven by foaming-at-the-mouth bloodlust.
Ah, I see. We're going to chastise others for not doing what they demand of the mega-rich.

The thing is, the average person doesn't have the time or the money to do any of that while also being able to take care of themselves or their family. The people who are capable of doing both are goddamn saints, but it's not something that everyone is capable of doing. So this tired bullshit of "Oh well have YOU volunteered at a homeless shelter!?" can fuck right off into space and you can follow it.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
So technically, he could probably be taxed about... 95% of his wealth and he'd still be ahead of 99.9% of us. Cool.

Disclaimer: no actual math occurred in this post.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guess it was his ex wife keeping him humble and driving a Honda. He ain't pulling up to that tax evasion heaven in a Honda.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see. We're going to chastise others for not doing what they demand of the mega-rich.

The thing is, the average person doesn't have the time or the money to do any of that while also being able to take care of themselves or their family. The people who are capable of doing both are goddamn saints, but it's not something that everyone is capable of doing. So this tired bullshit of "Oh well have YOU volunteered at a homeless shelter!?" can fuck right off into space and you can follow it.
No, I was chastising Thrill_house specifically for calling for murder when for all we know they've done even less than their hated billionaire of choice. I don't expect the average person to do anything. But I do expect those fine individuals who want to kill people to hold themselves to a higher standard.

I'll never understand how someone with that much wealth wouldn't want to be remembered as one of the world's greatest heroes for all time. He could solve student debt, fund public schools, aid Flint's water crisis, etc etc w/o breaking a sweat.
Not that Bezos couldn't spend more on charities than he does, but one should always keep in mind when discussions of his wealth are brought up that Bezos' net worth consists almost entirely of Amazon shares, i.e., he doesn't actually have $100+ billion in cash lying around. At a certain point, any attempt to convert the paper value of his holdings into cash becomes a depletion of his ability to control and direct Amazon, which is the instrument he intends to use to carry out his assorted ventures.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solve homelessness or have one Bezos.

Tough call, society.

Fuck the mega-rich. Tax them 80% over 100 million and 95% over 1 billion.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, I was chastising Thrill_house specifically for calling for murder when for all we know they've done even less than their hated billionaire of choice. I don't expect the average person to do anything. But I do expect those fine individuals who want to kill people to hold themselves to a higher standard.
Why? Amazon has literally worked people to death. Bezos treats the working class and poor like they don't matter.
Why expect decorum and civility when we are shown none?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll never understand how someone with that much wealth wouldn't want to be remembered as one of the world's greatest heroes for all time. He could solve student debt, fund public schools, aid Flint's water crisis, etc etc w/o breaking a sweat.

There's 1.5 trillion in student loan debt in the US.

There are let's say 552,830 homeless in America. Bezos could give each and every one of those homeless people $234,791.89 and still have 1 billion. A fraction of that cash distributed would still circle right back to Bezos.

If he gave all those people that amount of money he would no longer own Amazon, because that's where all the money is.

So none of it would come back to him.

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would just do it when I die. Haters gonna hate no matter what. Live it up and exit stage right saving the world.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the mega-rich. Tax them 80% over 100 million and 95% over 1 billion.

I'm all for making rich people pay their fucking taxes but I don't think some of you live in reality.

If you start taxing people 95% of their income, obscenely wealthy or not, they just won't live in your country anymore. And if you think the government would just refuse to do business with Amazon, well you are delusional.

Extremist nonsense accomplishes nothing.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Amazon has literally worked people to death. Bezos treats the working class and poor like they don't matter.
Why expect decorum and civility when we are shown none?
I don't expect decorum and civility. I expect people to learn from history and not call for the slaughter of people who get too rich. When it's happened because of people like Thrill_house and presumably you, there's lots of death, little or negative change for the working class and poor you claim to care about, and the establishment of totalitarian hellish regimes. It's usually the shrillest, craziest voices that have done the least research and introspection.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't expect decorum and civility. I expect people to learn from history and not call for the slaughter of people who get too rich. When it's happened because of people like Thrill_house and presumably you, there's lots of death, little or negative change for the working class and poor you claim to care about, and the establishment of totalitarian hellish regimes. It's usually the shrillest, craziest voices that have done the least research and introspection.
The rich will never, ever let people vote away their wealth. Ever! They have historically supported and installed fascist governments when their wealth has been threatened. You really wonder why people are so non-chalant about making guillotine jokes and wanting the wealthy to be executed? It's because we are very quickly approaching fascism again.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The rich will never, ever let people vote away their wealth. Ever! They have historically supported and installed fascist governments when their wealth has been threatened. You really wonder why people are so non-chalant about making guillotine jokes and wanting the wealthy to be executed? It's because we are very quickly approaching fascism again.
Any evidence of this? Many European countries, for example, have taxed their billionaires and even millionaires more harshly. The megarich response? Not the fascist coup of your imagining. Instead, some of them left the country for tax purposes. Some of them didn't even do that. Like why would these supposedly selfish rich people fight to protect other rich people when they could just move away?

I literally don't care if a rich person has $100 billion or $100 million. They'll be fine either way. But society accepting the killing of the rich is evil and insane and has happened before with universally horrible results. I don't want to live in an economically destitute totalitarian police state to own the rich, in other words.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The drive to be rich has ceased in me by simply watching rich people do useless-ass rich shit and then get defended for doing that useless-ass rich shit. Like, why can't these fuckers just be normal?

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
There's 1.5 trillion in student loan debt in the US.

If he gave all those people that amount of money he would no longer own Amazon, because that's where all the money is.

So none of it would come back to him.
Wow, devastating. So all he'd be left with is a mere $1,000,000,000? Why that means he would only be able spend 22 million a year if interest wasn't a thing.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
He can still only be in one room at a time, and he will die like all the rest of us

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wow, devastating. So all he'd be left with is a mere $1,000,000,000? Why that means he would only be able spend 22 million a year if interest wasn't a thing.

"Oh shit I was wrong as fuck, let me pretend I made a completely different post so I can still try to claim the high ground"

I'm not interested in arguing with you about whether someone can live comfortably on a billion dollars. Obviously you can.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The poor die in greater numbers than the rich in totalitarian regimes, even when it's considered ok to kill the rich. It's the rich who have an easier time fleeing.
They're dying now as well. Your post said a society that accepts the killing of the rich is unacceptable. Is the killing of the poor by direct result of billionaires acceptable; yes or no?

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
"Oh shit I was wrong as fuck, let me pretend I made a completely different post so I can still try to claim the high ground"

I'm not interested in arguing with you about whether someone can live comfortably on a billion dollars. Obviously you can.
More like "oh shit, someone took this off the cuff comment at face value." Followed by a readjustment and still being outraged at the man's wealth. Thanks Mango.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Any evidence of this? Many European countries, for example, have taxed their billionaires and even millionaires more harshly. The megarich response? Not the fascist coup of your imagining. Instead, some of them left the country for tax purposes. Some of them didn't even do that. Like why would these supposedly selfish rich people fight to protect other rich people when they could just move away?

I literally don't care if a rich person has $100 billion or $100 million. They'll be fine either way. But society accepting the killing of the rich is evil and insane and has happened before with universally horrible results. I don't want to live in an economically destitute totalitarian police state to own the rich, in other words.

Evidence? Sure, here's a few select quotes and events from history.
  • Torkild Rieber, former chairman of the board of Texaco, chief supplier of oil to General Francisco Franco and Hitler, stated that these actions were not ideologically motivated; but simply good business.
  • J.P. Morgan cultivated economic ties with Italian fascist Benito Mussolini when the latter took control of Italy.
  • Henry Ford once said "you can do business with Hitler"
  • The Dalfram Dispute clearly illustrates the divide between the interests of the working class and business. Business and the Australian government wanted to sell iron to Imperial Japan, and the working class feared it would be used to make weapons which would then be used on them (Spoiler: they were right).
  • In more recent news, The rich oligarch leader of Bolivia's right-wing coup, Luis Fernando Camacho, was the leader of an explicitly fascist paramilitary group. The coup was also supported by several US politicians and business leaders who very likely want extraction rights on that sweet, sweet lithium in Bolivia.
  • Let's also remember the wealthy and big businesses that supported the Bolsonaro campaign in Brazil, and were then given carte blanche to slash and burn the Amazon for agricultural expansion of their businesses.
Every time a fascist rises to power, it is with the support of the rich.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're dying now as well. Your post said a society that accepts the killing of the rich is unacceptable. Is the killing of the poor by direct result of billionaires acceptable; yes or no?
No, calling for the killing of neither the rich nor poor is acceptable. I don't get the intent of your question. Are you suggesting it's ok to kill some random billionaires if you think billionaires indirectly kill poor people?

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No, calling for the killing of neither the rich nor poor is acceptable. I don't get the intent of your question. Are you suggesting it's ok to kill some random billionaires if you think billionaires indirectly kill poor people?
No. I'm suggesting that I'm tired of people coming to the defense of the rich in a hypothetical scenario when the mere existence of billionaires is killing people now in real life. It suggests a lack of priorities.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I will never understand how you can be doing this while people are living in severe poverty in your own country. While at the same time not paying taxes.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Evidence? Sure, here's a few select quotes and events from history.
  • Torkild Rieber, former chairman of the board of Texaco, chief supplier of oil to General Francisco Franco and Hitler, stated that these actions were not ideologically motivated; but simply good business.
  • J.P. Morgan cultivated economic ties with Italian fascist Benito Mussolini when the latter took control of Italy.
  • Henry Ford once said "you can do business with Hitler"
  • The Dalfram Dispute clearly illustrates the divide between the interests of the working class and business. Business and the Australian government wanted to sell iron to Imperial Japan, and the working class feared it would be used to make weapons which would then be used on them (Spoiler: they were right).
  • In more recent news, The rich oligarch leader of Bolivia's right-wing coup, Luis Fernando Camacho, was the leader of an explicitly fascist paramilitary group. The coup was also supported by several US politicians and business leaders who very likely want extraction rights on that sweet, sweet lithium in Bolivia.
  • Let's also remember the wealthy and big businesses that supported the Bolsonaro campaign in Brazil, and were then given carte blanche to slash and burn the Amazon for agricultural expansion of their businesses.
Every time a fascist rises to power, it is with the support of the rich.
The poor and middle class have supported fascists as well. Citing random examples of rich people who did business with fascists and then saying that means rich people, as a group, support fascism is like citing voting records of people for Hitler and then saying those groups support Hitler. It's not evidence, it's anecdote.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It was actually closer to .125% of what he's worth.
Not 8%, 1/8 of 1% or I believe it is 0.125% of his total wealth.

I was never great at math.

Ah yeah, I misread. Kinda sensationalist to describe 0.125% as "1/8th of a percent" - but I guess they got me.

Figured something went up when my notifications blew up, I never get quoted normally LOL
Lol someone seems mad

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I'm all for making rich people pay their fucking taxes but I don't think some of you live in reality.

If you start taxing people 95% of their income, obscenely wealthy or not, they just won't live in your country anymore. And if you think the government would just refuse to do business with Amazon, well you are delusional.

Extremist nonsense accomplishes nothing.

It's not 95% of their total income, just the individual dollars that cross the threshold level. THey pay the same taxes on the first $100,000,000 like everyone else. But that $100,000,001 gets taxed at 80% and so on from there.

MW-FV076_taxrat_ZH_20170926145557.png

We've done it before. We're just living in Reagan's continued nightmare, that's all. But we can't afford to wait anymore just to get back to where we were pre-Reagan. We don't have the time.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
All that money and he still has neighbours closer than me.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The poor and middle class have supported fascists as well. Citing random examples of rich people who did business with fascists and then saying that means rich people, as a group, support fascism is like citing voting records of people for Hitler and then saying those groups support Hitler. It's not evidence, it's anecdote.
I can keep showing you examples, and it's pretty obvious you will ignore the clear pattern that emerges because a couple of times in Germany and Portugal the working class voted against their own interests (never mind the purges and human rights suppression that subsequently happened to them)

Let me ask you this. Do you think the wealthy donors that supported Trump, like the Mercers and Koch family, will simply allow their wealthy to be voted away? If not, how far do you think they will go to keep it? They have already helped Trump get into power....is that where you think they'll stop?

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can keep showing you examples, and it's pretty obvious you will ignore the clear pattern that emerges because a couple of times in Germany and Portugal the working class voted against their own interests (never mind the purges and human rights suppression that subsequently happened to them)

Let me ask you this. Do you think the wealthy donors that supported Trump, like the Mercers and Koch family, will simply allow their wealthy to be voted away? If not, how far do you think they will go to keep it? They have already helped Trump get into power....is that where you think they'll stop?
I won't ignore patterns, but they have to be patterns, not just gathered examples. Show me and I'll be convinced. I dunno, voting stats that show super rich voters go with fascist parties more than other voter groups.

For your second question, I think they will act in their own best interests. They'll invest moderately in supporting their preferred candidates and causes, but if they perceive their wealth is actually threatened they'll just move it (and themselves if necessary), which is vastly cheaper and easier. Why would they bother fighting for the wealth of others of their own fortunes are safe? Especially when other billionaires are calling for higher taxes or giving away their money?

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Regardless of how much time or money you have, it is hypocritical to complain about another person not doing more if you yourself are in a position to do more.

All the people calling to "eat the rich" and to hang them in public square, say it directly to our own open_mouth_ who got lucky with an invention and made a shit ton of money. Tell him he deserves to die and have all his wealth stripped from him.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
Ok I really don't care what he does with his money as long as he isn't spending it funding Republican politicians. I like Amazon - it has made my life a lot easier. Who gives a shit if he got paid for it unless he's using it to keep others down?