Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
www.theverge.com

Leaked Microsoft document hints at second next-gen Xbox

Microsoft has still not publicly acknowledged its Lockhart plans

The leaked document also mentions a Lockhart profiling mode. Sources familiar with Microsoft's Xbox plans tell The Verge that this special Lockhart mode is part of the Xbox Series X developer kit. The devkit, codenamed Dante, allows game developers to enable a special Lockhart mode that has a profile of the performance that Microsoft wants to hit with this second console. We understand that includes 7.5GB of usable RAM, a slightly underclocked CPU speed, and around 4 teraflops of GPU performance. The Xbox Series X includes 13.5GB of usable RAM, and targets 12 teraflops of GPU performance.

I think this info is new, so new thread. Or not new, but confirmation. Lock if necessary.

regards to price:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
So Lockhart comes with 10GB RAM total? That's less than the 12GB I imagined.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
This thing is basically next-gen gaming at 1080p/1440p which is a really smart move imo as not everyone is looking for 4K.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
mm. Interesting. Having half the usable RAM could be a concern, but we'll see. It may not be. The rest of it seems fine. Slightly underclocked CPU is fine, and a huge leap over current gen still. No word on storage, but if it's not part of the profiling mode maybe we are getting the same SSD. Unfortunate that Tom is shooting down a low price. Though, does that mean $299 or 399? Who knows! But with these still quite expensive parts, I suppose it's not that surprising.

WE. SHALL. SEE.

So Lockhart is about PS4 pro level...how is this next gen?
Because it's leaps and bounds better in literally every way?

Didn't we just have huge debates for months about how TF isn't the whole picture lol. 4TF GCN is not comparable to 4TF Navi. Expect normal GPU performance near One X levels (which.. remember.. achieved 4k/60 on a surprising subset of games). But. CPU is a HUGE improvement. Storage is a HUGE improvement. It's more and faster RAM... You know?

Last edited:

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I did see Rand Al Thor's latest video where he mentioned Lockhart having 10GB of RAM (and that was posted before this article was).

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
Could be an interesting option for many consumers on a budget that only care to play Fortnite, Minecraft, Sports or Call of Duty.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't 4TF really low? Forgive me if it's a stupid question but it seems like a huge gap compared to the PS5 and XSX

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Expected that RAM would also take a big hit. CPU takes a hit but not as big and regarding the price it was obvious that you won't get a console with modern CPU, RT capable GPU and SSD for a price of Switch lite or lower than OG Switch.

This thing is basically next-gen gaming at 1080p/1440p which is a really smart move imo as not everyone is looking for 4K.

I doubt this will have a lot of games in 1440p. It will be a 1080p Gamepass machine.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes but it also included 8k textures which don't need to be there. I am sure the demo could be tweaked to run at a higher res. But you know? The IQ was superb, so why do that?
If i m not mistaken 8k textures were done by low latency ssd skipping the ram altogether and feeding the source directly .so ram had no merit there

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Who knows how it goes but next gen 4TF is not comparable to One X 6TF.

Still think it could be an amazing device, 1080p to 1440p upscaled would still be really good looking for most people.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
These specs are enough to run every next gen game at 1080p, I repeat:
These specs are enough to run every next gen game at 1080p.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
No it's not anywhere close to PS4 Pro level. It will run all next-gen games at lower resolutions and/or framerates. This would not be possible with Jaguar CPU cores or a mechanical HDD. Also 4TF of AMD's new GPU architecture will outperform the Xbox One X's 6TF.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

first of all, comparing tflops between diff architectures is tricky

second, tflops do not include cpu speed, io bandwith, etc
thats where arguably the biggest step up is this gen
lowering gpu load can be as simple as lowering the res

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
4TF puts it in the ballpark of a GTX 1060, which was and still is a pretty capable card for 1080p.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
It will keep first-party games from reaching full potential on Series X. Always keeping in mind the little brother.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Not sure if this was revealed, but does MS allow games to be released on the Series X only? Or will all multiplat games next gen have to run on Lockhart?

Lockhart hasn't been revealed. So no way of knowing.

But I expect it to be the same as the Xbox One/Xbox One X situation. They are releasing all their first party games on PC too. And those have been playable on low end devices.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this was revealed, but does MS allow games to be released on the Series X only? Or will all multiplat games next gen have to run on Lockhart?
Any game running on PS5/XsX can run on Lockhart. You need 4x more "power" to render a game at 4k rather than 1080p and the XsX is less than 4x more powerful than Lockhart (power in terms of GPU).

You'll basically get the same game at a lower resolution.