User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Me right now regarding Xbox Series S

0b7c32296696aef3f164da71170d05f6f286398c51eea3bc1ad16a15e849e0b5.jpg

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Still mentions iOS
Urg these naming conventions!! I feel like this will be a Wii U problem all over again. Will the average consumer know that the One S and Series S are 2 different consoles??

If the Series S is $299, matching the current price of a Xbox One S, then I imagine Microsoft would pull the One S out of market to reduce confusion.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Wait... Series S wasn't already announced? People mention it so matter of factly I just assumed the official announcement was out there and I missed it.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to be a spy on the phone, and listens to the phone call on marketing department....

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If the Series S is $299, matching the current price of a Xbox One S, then I imagine Microsoft would pull the One S out of market to reduce confusion.
The Xbox One S and Xbox One X are both discontinued as of a few weeks ago iirc, there was a thread about it. They aren't making any more.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently only the discless One S was discontinued.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
You don't need to look anything up unless you want to. It's all rumor and speculation. Even at 20 CUs, it is still the same RDNA2 architecture, which is pretty much state of the art graphics technology.

They are saving $30 at most in RAM, $20 per disc drive, and I would wager the cost to produce the weaker GPU is $50 less at most.

I predict the BoM for XSS will be between $390-410. Add $70 for distribution and total cost to deliver a XSS to a store front is realistically $460. I'm sorry, but XBOX division is low on MS priorities. No CEO worth a salt would abandon their fiduciary duty to shareholders in order to boost a division that is not a core competency.

I thought RAM was roughly $10 per GB? I think you're looking at a saving closer to $60 there.

You can probably also drop at least another $50 for a smaller SSD, you'll save money on cooling and the PSU as it wouldn't need so much power or produce so much heat. Even things like a smaller casing and the reduced cost of shipping will shave a bit more off the price. Oh, and no Blu-Ray drive means no related licensing fees.

It adds up.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
You saw that unorthodox console design and the name Xbox Series X without the 'One' branding and thought it was a new Xbox One? lol.
That was just my initial impression.

Microsoft released a couple of Xbox One versions and the name Series X doesn't suggest a next gen console after Xbox One which is a bad name of itself after Xbox 360 ... which is a bad name too.
Naming wise S and X are Wii U level dumb imo.

I'm just imagining poor parents getting the wrong one for kids.
Agree.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Truly the worst kept secret ever and they continue with their bad names for their consoles.

At least its not the Xbone, Xbox SAD or the Xbox SeX i guess.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Yeah because Microsoft released a couple of Xbox One versions and the name Series X doesn't suggest a next gen console after Xbox One which is a bad name of itself after Xbox 360 ... which is a bad name too.

Agree.
This makes no sense lol, It dropped the One name. It isn't an Xbox One...

Jan 4, 2018
I dont think having a price advantage over PS5 is going to do much, it hasn't this gen (xbox always being 100 cheaper) so not sure if it would make much difference next gen. Unless we get another 599 problem loll.

Xbox Series S + Gamepass starting at 25$ or 30$ would definitely have a big impact if MS succeeds at expanding a lot the All Access program for next-gen (Phil Spencer said that was the plan and that the testing phase had a great response, we will soon find out I guess).
Especially in a COVID-19 world.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Having a hell of a time deciding between an Xbox One S, a Gaming PC, and whatever the Series S ends up being. Need price points for the Series S is and whatever the One S drops to I guess.

I mean that's a pretty big gap Between all those

One S - $200-$250
Series S - $300-$400 likely
Gaming PC - $500+

what kind of budget are you working with?

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Sticker price is going to be far more important for this thing's popularity than SSD size.

We don't, but Microsoft do, and beyond that they've got data about how people are using these consoles and what they're playing on them.

I think you've got the wrong end of the speculation there. I believe that it was Zhuge saying he expected the XSX to come in at between $20 and $70 dollars more than PS5 with PS5 at $470, so it would be a maximum BoM of $540.

But yes, I'm expecting Microsoft to be very aggressive on pricing, particularly after Dusk Golem's comments today. Microsoft aren't just looking at subsidising people who might buy a dozen or so games over the next 12 years and maybe sub to Live, they're looking at subsidising games pass subscriptions which they will hope to hold on to for decades.

We'll see. Like I originally stated, I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment. $399 is aggressive for a next-gen system. Especially since I believe the competition will price both PS5 SKUs at $499.

$299 to me is a price a lot of folks made up in order to overcompensate for the fact that Sony outsells Xbox 2:1. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It would certainly be a bold move by MS.

But I believe its more likely the XSS is either A) like the rumors suggest, a weaker machine still capable of outputting next-gen graphics, albeit at lower resolutions, or B) is simply a DE that has all the same features as XSX, but priced $100 cheaper.

Nonetheless, I think whatever XSS is revealed to be, it will be priced at $399.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Hm... I would imagine that the included instruction booklet would also have an image of the Series S. The exclusion of it is what initially made me think that both consoles will largely look the same. Maybe Microsoft is using black and white as colors to differentiate console power again?

xboxleak2.jpg
It's also compatible with Xbox One, and there's no image of that also. I wouldn't be surprised of Lockhart is white.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X

How can a massive corporation like Microsoft be this bad at naming their products?! My god.

Just give it a few years.

Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S2
Xbox Series X2
Xbox Series D
Xbox Series X2 Digital
Xbox Series S2 Digital

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Someone pull the Phil Spencer "Xbox One Series X" tweet
I mean, this is the same as someone accidentally writing PS4 instead of PS5 (which I've seen plenty of times). People are used to talking about PS4, so it's an easy mistake to make. In Phil's case, Xbox One is a console they've been marketing for the last like 8 years, it's not that that big of a stretch for him to accidentally write Xbox One.
Yes they are. When a Microsoft big employee spells the name wrong you know they blew it.

Take a look at the replies in this thread too.
Does people accidentally saying PS4 instead of PS5 make that a bad name too lol?

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just thinking about it . Never had a Wii or Wii U but I definitely knew they were different but that's anecdotal since I'm tuned into gaming . I can definitely see it being confusing by just adding a letter but isn't that the same as adding a number ? Isn't wii to Wii U similar to PlayStation to PlayStation 2 ?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's not the one mistake that make it confusing, that just an accidental proof (Which he deleted btw)

Do you think the Xbox brand naming isn't confusing at all?
An accidental proof of what? Do you think Phil doesn't understand the difference between Series X and Xbox One? And why wouldn't he delete it.. It was a mistake...

Of course it isn't confusing. It's using a completely different name to the previous consoles. What's confusing about it?

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
$399 would be far too high for the S, the PS5D will probably end up costing $399-$449, so Microsoft has to undercut it by a large margin.

Definitely, which is why I think the price difference between the PS5/SX and Series S will be 200$.

I don't expect Lockhart to have a optical drive. No mechanical parts will price scale better with time, regardless of launch msrp.

Right, which is why I believe with that logic folks are using for the PS5DE being 400 the Series S can be 200$. I can't see them not bundling a controller either just to keep the system at 300$

Adding $50 to the Series S and One S seem more realistic to me.
$350 & $250.

Hmmm, I dunno but it's possible!

This is roughly where I'm expecting it to fall too. However, I could potentially see all prices dropping by $50 depending on where the high end lands.

Where things could get interesting is Sony dropping $100 from the price for the DE compared to the standard, that's when XSS prices get interesting. $150 less than Sony's cheapest offering seems like the sweet spot to me, if the difference is just $100, that might not look like quite as much of a bargain.

Right I agree, and I think Microsoft is looking to make sure that Series S is priced as far from the PS5DE as possible. We'll see what happens tho :)

Regardless I'm almost sure the Series S will have a 200$ difference in price from one of the upcoming SKUs next gen

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017