• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
It's a neat idea, but partially covering the fan and the power button would make me weary, even with those issues being addressed.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Why not have the grip be recessed to reveal the power button, fan, etc? Would be a bit bulkier and not as sturdy probably but at least it would be way more functional.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's a neat idea, but partially covering the fan and the power button would make me weary, even with those issues being addressed.

Why not have the grip be recessed to reveal the power button, fan, etc? Would be a bit bulkier and not as sturdy probably but at least it would be way more functional.

Air flow isn't rocket science, if testing reveals there isn't an increase in temperature, then I see few reasons to doubt them.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome idea. I just wish the vents weren't covered. I'd be too worried about the heat to enjoy that setup.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"The Flip Grip doesn't come anywhere close to creating an airtight seal around your console; there are slits and clearances that allow air to enter in and out of the necessary vents.

To prove this in practice, we've run extensive tests that show that there are no appreciable differences in temperature when the Flip Grip is installed, even when running intensive games like Breath of the Wild."

ounJ6WB.gif

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"The Flip Grip consists of a single piece of durable injection-molded plastic designed to hold the Switch rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. Slide the Switch in until it clicks into place, then slide the Joy-Cons into the rails on either side just like you would on the console."

7hZIxwM.gif

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Games that support vertical modes

Classic titles are being re-released on the Switch at a rapid pace, with new ones coming out each week.

Many Switch re-releases of classic titles, like those from Namco and SNK, include display options to rotate the game's display 90º for games that appeared in arcade cabinets with vertical-mode screens.

On previous consoles, few people could make use of vertical-mode orientation features — it's hard to turn a television sideways, after all. A few PSP games supported rotation, but playing an intense arcade shooter while you grip the top and bottom of the PSP was far from a great experience.

The Switch changes everything. Because you can remove the Joy-Cons from the system, we can finally play classics like Punch-Out!!, Galaga, and Strikers 1945-II properly in vertical mode.

Dv53iyc.png

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Are there pictures of the back? How hard is it to just cut a venting hole? Would that somehow make the whole thing less sturdy?

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Shame they couldn't have design a joy-con that was like a PS4/XBOX/Pro Control pad that slide into one end of the switch that allowed you to hold the device vertically

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
There's a link to the kickstarter page, mind checking it out first before asking questions that already have answers? :)
I checked right after I posted actually, and there is a picture of the back, but that doesn't answer why they couldn't cut a vent. There's a tab that locks the Switch in place, can that just be put on the other side? What does that tab even lock into on the Switch, the gif of how the device works doesn't actually show it. No matter what they say I don't like the idea of covering the vents.

They could have made the thing like a glove that goes around the whole Switch like a cellphone case, and had the rails in the same spot. The extra plastic might raise the price by a whole dollar but no need for some weird little tab on the back and no need to cover the vents. Really cool idea I just don't like the execution.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I checked right after I posted actually, and there is a picture of the back, but that doesn't answer why they couldn't cut a vent. There's a tab that locks the Switch in place, can that just be put on the other side? What does that tab even lock into on the Switch, the gif of how the device works doesn't actually show it. No matter what they say I don't like the idea of covering the vents.

They could have made the thing like a glove that goes around the whole Switch like a cellphone case, and had the rails in the same spot. The extra plastic might raise the price by a whole dollar but no need for some weird little tab on the back and no need to cover the vents. Really cool idea I just don't like the execution.

If the fact that 80% of the vent is uncovered, the fact that the grip has plenty of slits and crevices to let air in and out, and the fact that Parish and company performed tests that showed the grip has no impact on the temperature doesn't change your mind, then I guess nothing will.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Backed like the fist of an angry god

And now to wait until November (if not more)...

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
If the fact that 80% of the vent is uncovered, the fact that the grip has plenty of slits and crevices to let air in and out, and the fact that Parish and company performed tests that showed the grip has no impact on the temperature doesn't change your mind, then I guess nothing will.

Flip-Grip-with-Switch-Iso-150x150.png

An entire vent is covered as well as about a quarter of the second vent, with some slits to allow air flow around the locking tab. Then on the top vent, about 1/2 to 2/3rds is covered again with some slits/"wiggle room". Did you mean 80% of a single vent is uncovered? Because there are two on the back and one on top. I don't see any reason why there can't be even a partial vent hole above where the tab is, there's plenty of room for one.

People buying and using them and reporting real world actual impressions of no issues, not the people selling the thing saying stuff to sell the thing, will change my mind. Like I said I think it's a cool idea. I'm just extremely skeptical about the execution and paranoid about anything that covers the leaf blowers on the back and top of the Switch. If it comes out and people use them and everything is fine I have no problem being wrong, in fact I'd prefer to be so I can buy one and play Donkey Kong and Dig Dug in their proper orientation and I doubt Nintendo will make anything like this on their own. I have the HORI stand but it's flimsy and there's no way I'd use it in vertical mode.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know which released games this blurb from the FAQ:
Orientation Compatibility
Oh, and one other small concern: While Flip Grip works perfectly now with dozens of games, there are one or two titles that only support 90-degree rotation in the opposite direction of Flip Grip's orientation. D'oh! Hopefully Flip Grip will turn out to be such a huge success that those developers will patch in a reverse orientation option…
Refers to?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering when they would finally show this. Parish mentioned working with Fangamer on this quite a while ago.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017

An entire vent is covered as well as about a quarter of the second vent, with some slits to allow air flow around the locking tab. Then on the top vent, about 1/2 to 2/3rds is covered again with some slits/"wiggle room". Did you mean 80% of a single vent is uncovered? Because there are two on the back and one on top. I don't see any reason why there can't be even a partial vent hole above where the tab is, there's plenty of room for one.

People buying and using them and reporting real world actual impressions of no issues, not the people selling the thing saying stuff to sell the thing, will change my mind. Like I said I think it's a cool idea. I'm just extremely skeptical about the execution and paranoid about anything that covers the leaf blowers on the back and top of the Switch. If it comes out and people use them and everything is fine I have no problem being wrong, in fact I'd prefer to be so I can buy one and play Donkey Kong and Dig Dug in their proper orientation and I doubt Nintendo will make anything like this on their own. I have the HORI stand but it's flimsy and there's no way I'd use it in vertical mode.

If you scroll up to the two animated pics, I don't see the problem myself, the slits are quite big, almost half the width of the vents on the Switch itself, and they run up and down almost the entire device (actually the slit on the Switch itself for the air intake looks smaller than the ones on the vertical grip). Like you say, time will tell, but I can't imagine people would design something like with without doing endurance testing, and as the owner of quite a few PCs i've never dusted in like 5+ years of their lifetimes - significantly blocking the outflow, they all worked just fine.

But to your question about why not simply add vents? To me it looks like the slits take care of the vent holes. I'll be watching this project because it's pretty cool to have a vertical option, but as long as the documentation and testing are solid, I am not expecting any huge issues myself.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine people would design something like with without doing endurance testing
Neither could I, but with the Switch we have:

Official Dock apparently scratching the screens for some users
3rd party mini docks frying Switches
3rd party charging cables frying Switches

I'm more than a little paranoid at this point heh, those aren't even Kickstarter things they're accessories made by big companies who in theory even have official documentation from Nintendo (or in the case of the Dock, are Nintendo). Even the super flimsy HORI stand I have has not just a recessed area but also cut holes for the vents on the back.

The original reveal trailer for the Switch showed people playing Mario Kart in the back seat of a car and they slid the Switch into a holster on the back of one of the front seats, and that little holster had vent holes. This product could have just been that exact design but with rails on the sides for the JoyCons and I would have never given it a second thought.

But yeah we'll see! I know I'm being a real Debbie Downer but I do hope I'm wrong and that everything is fine. I'm just a paranoid and anxious person. Vents aside I'm intrigued by the design and would love to see the development of how they arrived at this execution VS say just copying the thing in the reveal trailer. And they mention there are a couple games that only work with the Switch rotated the other direction, so I wonder what design they could have gone with that would have allowed the Switch to slide in either way?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Shows how much I use the Switch in portable mode. Still, they performed tests, and there was no issue.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
5c0de810db937477e32625073cc71ce0_original.png

The Flip Grip isn't just for handheld gaming! You can also use it as a stand, too. One of the slots on the back of the Flip Grip allows you to use any credit card to prop up the Switch for social play… or just give your tired arms a break.

I like this little detail. I'd assume you'd want one on each side for stability.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone started maintaining a list of all vertical supporting games on Switch?