• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
This is so dumb, I mean it's one of those looks good, but in practice ask yourself the pressing question: what input type do most, if not all of these TATE mode games benefit from the most.

The answer is a D-Pad or at least non-analog digital input such as the directional buttons on the left Joy-con. The directional buttons are too low on the left Joy-Con and this setup makes everything too top-heavy and unwieldy. It's a cool idea, but it is just too sub-optimal in the real world. Get a Hori Stand or other vertical Stand or a rotating monitor if you want to have fun with TATE mode, otherwise you are asking for a clunky, top-heavy, sub-optimal experince.

I'm one of those weird people who don't find the Switch uncomfortable or the least bit heavy. I'm not going to pre-order this, but I do not think it will be clunky or sub-optimal (my primary use would be for the pinball games anyway - which don't rely on the directional buttons).

Oct 27, 2017
This is neat but I honestly can't name 3 games I would want to play using it.

Then this product is likely not for you.

I've been playing a ton of vertical shooters on Switch lately (including Gunbird 2 which released today!) and I actually found this Kickstarter after doing a search for just such a product. Hopefully the vertical games keep coming so we have even more to play by the time this grip is released.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
That list also doesn't include Pinball FX3, Pinball Arcade or Stern Pinball Arcade, all of which support 'tate.

I just checked, and The Pinball Arcade, and Stern Pinball Arcade both are incompatible with the Flip Grip. I am not certain if they have tested all of the games that they are advertising as working with it.

Pinball FX3, however, does work.

Deleted member 44960

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 12, 2018
ounJ6WB.gif
This is a very pleasing gif.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify because it seems there's no room for nuisance with your wording here, you do consider a Switch in an official Nintendo dock to have its vents completely covered, right?
Continue to read the thread, this has already been covered. The person who I was responding to in the post you quoted didn't actually realize the Switch has a second vent on the back. The Switch Dock has ventilation holes for both intakes on the back and the top is completely open.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I don't have a need for this, but I have to say this is a really neat idea. I love the ingenuity involving Switch coming from some of these small companies. Hopefully the venting concerns won't end up being a real issue.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I just checked, and The Pinball Arcade, and Stern Pinball Arcade both are incompatible with the Flip Grip. I am not certain if they have tested all of the games that they are advertising as working with it.

Pinball FX3, however, does work.

How can it possibly be incompatible with it? Both those games use portrait mode, what do they only flip the wrong direction or something?

Edit: Looks like that's it, but I guess they have 4 or 5 months to put out a patch to allow both rotations like FX3, before it's a problem. Shouldn't be terribly hard, hopefully they can fix it. I wonder if you can just insert the Switch in the other direction or not? There's still a slit for airflow, so I doubt it'd be an issue.

Last edited:

gates2

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
I am going to fund this even though I have no interest in ever owning a Switch; amazing concept as well as great design. I love the videos

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How can it possibly be incompatible with it? Both those games use portrait mode, what do they only flip the wrong direction or something?

Edit: Looks like that's it, but I guess they have 4 or 5 months to put out a patch to allow both rotations like FX3, before it's a problem. Shouldn't be terribly hard, hopefully they can fix it. I wonder if you can just insert the Switch in the other direction or not? There's still a slit for airflow, so I doubt it'd be an issue.

Unfortunately Farsight are pretty incompetent so I don't expect them to ever bother.

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I don't like about it is the credit card stand. Comes off as a half assed solution.

Besides that, the Flip grip just makes me smile. Great design, great price. I hope they hit their release date.

It's going to be interesting to see if devs support this product.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What 3/DS ports? Also, there would be a lot of unused screen space if that were the case.
So? Visually it would work well, just like on Wii U. My concern is if the games are touch intensive, as the resistive touchscreens they were designed for are significantly different of Switch's capacitive touchscreen.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
So? Visually it would work well, just like on Wii U. My concern is if the games are touch intensive, as the resistive touchscreens they were designed for are significantly different of Switch's capacitive touchscreen.

They work fine on Android and iPhone/iPad capacitive touch screens so I doubt there'll be a problem outside a rare exception.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Crap I didn't think of this :/

Hope most games rotate the "right" way. I doubt for some games that they would bring resources to patch for something like this.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear they don't plan to do anything too crazy with stretch goals. That is always where kickstarters fall into the trap of extreme scope creep.

That said I've already accustomed myself to whatever date is stated on a kickstarter might as well assume it will be at least 6 months after that, but if they do manage to get them out this year all the better.

This is usually the point in the campaign at which people announce stretch goals or extra tiers, but we don't have any news on that at the moment. We do have some ideas and possible partnerships brewing, but we want to be careful not to commit to anything that's could cause Flip Grip to be delayed. This is a lean, to-the-point campaign intended entirely to drum up the cash to have a fully designed product mass-manufactured as quickly as possible, and we don't want to distract from that.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Crap I didn't think of this :/

Hope most games rotate the "right" way. I doubt for some games that they would bring resources to patch for something like this.

As long as the Switch can be inserted both directions, I am not worried (yet). There's enough air flow from the slit imo, that I'd be surprised if it there were an issue. An earlier post made mention that the only way to actually overheat the Switch was by physically removing the fan entirely (which seems to indicate overheating it would be nearly impossible).

I e-mailed FarSight to mention to them the product and how Pinball FX3 can rotate both vertical directions - hoping they could update the app to do the same. Honestly, it seems like something that would take just a few lines of code to me, if they already have the rotating in place, to do -90 degrees instead of 90.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I'll definitely pick this up.
There's something so cool about vertical screen orientation.
I recently built a two player coffee table arcade with a vertical orientation and I can't get enough of it.
OUr9UKP.jpg

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the Switch can be inserted both directions, I am not worried (yet). There's enough air flow from the slit imo, that I'd be surprised if it there were an issue. An earlier post made mention that the only way to actually overheat the Switch was by physically removing the fan entirely (which seems to indicate overheating it would be nearly impossible).

I e-mailed FarSight to mention to them the product and how Pinball FX3 can rotate both vertical directions - hoping they could update the app to do the same. Honestly, it seems like something that would take just a few lines of code to me, if they already have the rotating in place, to do -90 degrees instead of 90.

The Kickstarter campaign specifically mentions that the Switch can only be inserted in one direction.

And I have also emailed Farsight Studios about this. Hopefully it is an easy fix for them.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
AMAZING!!! Was that from a guide you followed?
I used some joinery techniques from a Woodsmith magazine, but really I just saw this picture and tried my best: (I intend on staining and painting mine and adding a glass top btw)
Aje9Up7.jpg

I planned it out in Google Sketch Up, although i had to make some adjustments because hand-room was an issue once I started putting it together.
0CUnQ8i.png

I can upload the file somewhere if anyone would like.

Last edited:

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
The Kickstarter campaign specifically mentions that the Switch can only be inserted in one direction.

And I have also emailed Farsight Studios about this. Hopefully it is an easy fix for them.

I see now, they say it won't slide fully in (though maybe it's far enough to function well enough if needed), hopefully Farsight updates then.

It's one of those things where once the product exists - it'll be easy enough to point out to any developers who use vertical mode that they did it the wrong direction for the product and hopefully they'd fix it to offer either direction.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They work fine on Android and iPhone/iPad capacitive touch screens so I doubt there'll be a problem outside a rare exception.
Thanks, that's good to know. Would be great to have some DS/3DS classics - although for that to happen, officially, Nintendo would have to sanction this accessory or a similar one.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

Christ, havent realise that. Still backing it up. Hopefully Farsight will patch it up if there is a demand.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Update on the Kickstarter now the the funding goal has been reached. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fangamer/flip-grip/posts/2219942

"Since funding is already guaranteed for Flip Grip, we've gone ahead and set the ball rolling for the next phase of production rather than waiting until July 9 to get it going. That should shave about two weeks off the ETA for the final product. I think. I'm not the expert on manufacturing process here, but I kind of think it stands to reason, yeah?"

Also can the OP or a mod update the title?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see it got funded so quickly and that they aren't wasting time (or adding time) with stretch goals and other nonsense...

...of course, I wouldn't mind a metal pin with that logo on it. ^__^

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question: I want to back this, but how/where is my address entered when I give them my CC info? This is my first time backing a Kickstarter project.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I see now, they say it won't slide fully in (though maybe it's far enough to function well enough if needed), hopefully Farsight updates then.

It's one of those things where once the product exists - it'll be easy enough to point out to any developers who use vertical mode that they did it the wrong direction for the product and hopefully they'd fix it to offer either direction.

I spoke with a customer support tech at Farsight Studios, and they are aware of the Flip Grip, and have received several emails asking for an update to allow usage with it. He said that they passed the info to their developer, and that they will fix the problem in a forthcoming update.

I hope that they make good on that.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Happy it got backed already! Going to snatch one too pretty soon. Not wanted to buy any tate mode games yet because I've waited for something like this.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone? Really wanna back it.
If you're talking about for shipping then typically a survey is sent out closer to when the product ships asking for details such as that. Asking for it now would be a pain as people move fairly regularly.

If you are asking as far as a billing address, I am honestly not sure. Isn't there a payment info section in your account somewhere? I set mine up too long ago to remember.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about for shipping then typically a survey is sent out closer to when the product ships asking for details such as that. Asking for it now would be a pain as people move fairly regularly.

If you are asking as far as a billing address, I am honestly not sure. Isn't there a payment info section in your account somewhere? I set mine up too long ago to remember.
That answers it for me, thanks!

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered a couple myself! (Even though I don't play much, but will be good gift for brother or husband to play with? Maybe. haha)