• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I'm personally always interested on seeing all the games from a major game series, even the spin offs or random handheld stuff, but that clearly isn't the case with everyone so I wanted to make this thread to see the more obscure official releases from a series that is well known by everyone so more people can know about them
A simple example is this game released for the Sharp X1, a game based on Donkey Kong 3 (already a game that not everyone remembers or knows) with plenty of gameplay changes to make it it's own thing and not a port:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
There's an entire Elder Scrolls game that's a Nokia N-Gage exclusive and was a fully fledged RPG and even had co-op options as well. I think it was called like Shadowkey or something along those lines

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Mega Man X Command Mission for GC/PS2

A fun, short RPG heavily inspired by FFX, nobody talks about it anymore and Capcom won't port it :(

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom vs. Psikyo exist and it's a mahjong game on Dreamcast.

43056_front.jpg

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Maybe not like SUPER OBSCURE in the sense others will use here.

But Resident Evil: Gun Survivor 2 is definitely an odd one for such a big series. Was an arcade game that was ported to PS2 but only in Japan and Europe.
Though oddly enough the Arcade version of the game did come to the states lol.

3f877154ea8ebb4c1742f2269d469659.jpg

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets

Doesn't even have a wikipedia page.

Ancient Stone Tablets is effectively a pseudo-sequel to A Link to the Past, using the same engine, gameplay, overworld, and characters, but featuring an original storyline and dungeons, and unique sidequests and minigames. The game is timed and can only be played over the course of 60 minutes, with in-game events occurring at set time intervals. Various actions in the game reward the player with points, and the aim is to acquire as many points as possible within the time period. Players who achieved high scores were able to submit them to Nintendo in exchange for real-life prizes.

The player character is not Link, who is absent from the game, but in fact the avatars of the player's ID for the BS-X Broadcasting System, drawn into Hyrule and who come to be known as the Hero of Light.

The same avatars are also the protagonists of BS The Legend of Zelda. The characters can be either male or female, with the male avatar wearing a backwards-facing baseball cap, and the female avatar having distinctive long red hair. Both avatars wear a tunic similar to the one that Link wears.

Unlike other titles for the service, Ancient Stone Tablets was only playable once a week during a very limited broadcast window. As the service has since been discontinued, the game in its original form is no longer commercially available. A restoration of the game can still be played through emulation, with most content having been restored using dumped materials from memory packs containing the game's data. The voice acting was held in the system's RAM, and thus has not been able to be preserved with the rest of the data.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
ah yes, my favorite arcade game, Left 4 Dead

2540583-6123787579-l01.j.jpg

There's also a Counter-Strike and a Half-Life 2 arcade game.

1151185-css_neo.jpg

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Pok%C3%A9mon_Dash_Coverart.png

This game was TERRIBLE. The gameplay involved you scraping across the DS repeatedly to make Pikachu run, and it pretty much singlehandedly destroyed my original DS' touchscreen.

This was very much a game from the launch period of the DS where developers were trying to figure out what they could do with touch controls, and this experiment did not turn out well.

There was a kind of neat feature where you could import your Pokemon from the GBA games to turn their sprites into racecourses though.

pokemon-dash-20050312025612642.jpg

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

This game was TERRIBLE. The gameplay involved you scraping across the DS repeatedly to make Pikachu run, and it pretty much singlehandedly destroyed my original DS' touchscreen.

There was a kind of neat feature where you could import your Pokemon from the GBA games to turn their sprites into racecourses though.

Related: I feel like no one remembers this game even happened lol
Too many spin offs I guess
pokemonconquest.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Pokemon typing adventure is probably the more obscure, but it is weird how little people talk about Pokemon Conquest

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts for Verizon's V-Cast phone network
YrQOBCv.jpg

And published by Disney.

Some footage was reconstructed (We could say "emulated") last year:

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I always have the impression that, for as popular as Pac-Man (the game) is, his series has a lot of obscure games. For example, there are:
  • Professor Pac-Man
  • Pac-in-Time (itself a rebranding of a different game)
  • Pac-Man Pinball Advance
  • Pac-Man Pizza Parlor
  • Pac-Man Fever
Thank you for reading.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Mario has two sewing games: I Am A Teacher: Super Mario Sweater for Famicom Disk System and Mario Family for the GBC. While the first one is mostly just design software (think of the creation tools in Animal Crossing), the GBC game actually hooks up to a specific sewing machine to copy the patterns onto an actual sweater.

500px-Mario_sweater.jpg

Mario_Family_cover.png

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018

This was very much a game from the launch period of the DS where developers were trying to figure out what they could do with touch controls, and this experiment did not turn out well.

pokemon-dash-20050312025612642.jpg

Probably one of the worst games I have ever played. Bottom 10 for sure.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
God of War Betrayal. It was made for 2006-era Sony Ericsson Phones and it was surprisingly decent for what it was.

This is before the smartphone app craze btw.

f95a2b8d101951eafbbe52b810bade04.jpg

Assassin's Creed Bloodlines on the PSP was probably the PSP's first open-world game. It handled like shit, it looked like shit, but it was somewhat of a technological marvel at the time.

Also, it was the second game to have Altair as a playable character

51QtVMfupCL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Another PSP one is Mortal Kombat Unchained

Deception on the PS2 was a great game, but then the PSP got Unchained which was basically a Deception port and then some.

It had the ENTIRE open-world story mode AND the best MK mini game ever made: Chess Kombat.

latest

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not very obscure... But worth mentioning the portable Tomb Raider games on Game Boy Colour and Advance:
112876039.jpg
images

Tomb-raider-curse-of-the-sword.jpg

My favorite is The Prophecy :D
Music and level design are great!

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Crash Bandicoot for the 99X series of handhelds by Tiger Electronics
latest

this is where Mr. Crumb came from! and he's now a boss in Crash On The Run! (mobile game)

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
There was a brief period of time where Nintendo was obsessed with making pinball versions of their series, there were quite a few.

Metroid Prime Pinball is weird enough to be memorable, but I always forget that Mario got a pinball game too (complete with 3D graphics), so I'll say Mario's Pinball Land for GBA

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Related: I feel like no one remembers this game even happened lol
Too many spin offs I guess
pokemonconquest.jpg
They should, because it's in the top 3 Pokemon games :(

I don't think anyone remembers the pre-smartphone mobile games for Assassin's Creed or God of War...

God-of-War-Betrayal-god-of-war-35226246-240-320.png

God-of-War-Betrayal-god-of-war-35226240-240-320.png

They were both pretty damn good.

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
I guess these aren't super obscure, but I feel like they've been forgotten by time somewhat.

Bomberman_Fantasy_Race.jpg

Gultygear2cover.jpg

Virtua_Quest.PNG

Dinostalker.jpg

Yakuza-dead-souls-ps3-cover-1.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
*holding her breath*
Mario Odyssey is a pretty obscure game from the Donkey Kong franchise when you think about it ...

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018

SegaSonic Popcorn Shop (セガソニック ポップコーンショップ, SegaSonikku Poppukōn Shoppu[SUP]?[/SUP]) is an arcade vending machine released in 1993, exclusively in Japan. Created by Sega AM1 and released by Sega on Sega's System C2 board, hardware similar to the one on the Sega Genesis, it is a combination of a popcorn machine and a mini-game. The vending machine dispenses popcorn in one of three flavors: salted, butter or curry

sonic.fandom.com

SegaSonic Popcorn Shop

SegaSonic Popcorn Shop (セガソニック ポップコーンショップ, SegaSonikku Poppukōn Shoppu?) is an arcade vending machine released in 1993, exclusively in Japan. Created by Sega AM1 and released by Sega on the System C2 board, hardware similar to the one on the Sega Mega Drive, it is a combination of a popcorn...

I dare you to find something weirder and more obscure.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Bros Special

Its a kind-of port of SMB1 on the PC-88 and Sharp X1.

Jeff Gerstmann played it on a few streams and its fucking awful in every single way.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Mega Man Battle & Fighters - Neo Geo Pocket Color
XkgCjJ.gif
B-oo0wAUUAAy9jt.jpg

Mega Man Puzzle Battle / Rockman Puzzle Battle

Sonic Unleashed: Mobile
sonic-unleashed-20090604110604791_640w.jpg
sonic-unleashed-20090604110603353_640w.jpg
sonic-unleashed-20090604110608509_640w.jpg
sonic-unleashed-20090604110600275_640w.jpg

Half-Life 2: Survivor - Arcade game released in Japan. Only US Machine is in Chicago
28031301.jpg
HL2_%22survivor%22_arcade_%28202732268%29.jpg

Last edited:

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Sonic Adventure : Tiger Handheld/Portable

Never met anyone with one, and it rarely gets brought up on Sonic game sites/forums.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also rediculously repetitive in it's battle system from what I remember. A real slog to play through which is the antithesis of Megaman

You can't really fault it for using a very typical jRPG combat system, it's just a shame that the franchise was there as a decoration rather than an influence. It played as a very mediocre jRPG that just happened to feature Megaman X characters.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do Slot Machines count? Because Mario, Sonic and a bunch of arcade mascots have slot machines now.