• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
www.veryaligaming.com

Sony Bringing Cloud Gaming On Platforms Like Netflix & YouTube

Sony Interactive Entertainment is working on a cloud gaming system that could be integrated into streaming services like Netflix and YouTube.

Rundown:

• According to a recently published patent, Sony Interactive Entertainment is possibly working on a cloud gaming system that could be integrated into streaming services like Netflix and YouTube.
  • The patent outlines a system in which players can access and play video games through a cloud gaming server present on streaming services through a pass-through device that can be integrated with streaming devices like Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick.
  • The system would allow players to access a library of video games and select the ones they want to play, much like they currently do with movies and television shows on streaming services.
  • The pass-through device may also allow many other operations of a cloud gaming system to be performed by the pass-through device itself rather than the streaming device.
  • The pass-through device may supposedly be connected to any device that supports a streaming device's connection and has internet access, such as a smart television or mobile device.
Sony Interactive Entertainment, a division of Sony Corporation that focuses on developing and distributing video game hardware and software and digital entertainment, is undoubtedly one of, if not the most recognised video game and digital entertainment companies out there. Since its foundation in 1993, it has become a dominant player in the video game industry, with its PlayStation brand being one of the most popular and successful video game consoles of all time. The company has also been responsible for developing and publishing many popular video game franchises, including God of War, Uncharted, and The Last of Us.

In addition to its contributions to the video game industry, Sony Interactive Entertainment is also known for its many accomplishments and innovations. In recent years, Sony Interactive Entertainment has expanded immensely into virtual reality gaming and cloud gaming (or gaming-as-a-service). Being a foremost company in the video game industry, Sony Interactive Entertainment is committed to making its services more accessible to players. Only a few days ago, we uncovered a recently published patent from the company that discusses a technology to incorporate a personalised virtual dojo for players to improve their skills based on data retrieved from their gameplay.

Earlier today, we found that the company was awarded yet another patent, this time for a cloud gaming system that could potentially be integrated into streaming services like Netflix and YouTube. The patent, titled "PASS-THROUGH DEVICE FOR CLOUD GAMING AND METHODS FOR PROCESSING," outlines a system in which players can access and play video games through a cloud gaming server present on streaming services through a pass-through device that can be integrated with streaming devices like Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick. The system would allow players to access a library of video games and select the ones they want to play, much like they currently do with movies and television shows on streaming services, except without having to navigate between cloud gaming and streaming services.

Sony
Embodiment of a system that is configured to stream video games from a cloud computing and gaming provider and media content from an entertainment services provided to a user using a streaming device that is connected to a display screen via a pass-through device, in accordance with an implementation of the disclosure. | Source: PATENTSCOPE

"Methods and systems are provided for processing video games streamed from a cloud gaming system over a network. The method includes receiving an indication of selection of the video game, for a gaming session, through a user interface associated with a streaming device that is connected to a display screen via a pass-through device," the abstract for the patent reads. "The method includes receiving a signal that the gaming session is active, from a game streaming logic of the pass-through device. In one embodiment, the game streaming logic is configured to receive a compressed stream of the video game, decode the compressed stream of the video game, and provide image data for rendering by the display screen, and receiving user input by the game streaming logic for driving interactivity of the video game while said cloud gaming system executes said video game."

According to the patent, the pass-through device may be connected to a streaming device, like Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick, which can then be used to access the corresponding streaming services, like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. In this way, there won't be a need to modify the hardware of the streaming device, and the player will be not only able to access their preferred movies and television shows but also their preferred video games (through cloud gaming) directly from the user interface of their desired streaming service. "Accordingly, users can seamlessly switch between viewing media content and cloud gaming in an efficient manner using a pass-through device that is connected to their preferred streaming device," reads the patent.

Sony
Embodiment of an HDMI signal flowing from a streaming device into a pass-through device and a display screen when the pass-through device is not activated, in accordance with an implementation of the disclosure. | Source: PATENTSCOPE

Furthermore, seamless integration may not be the only feature of the pass-through device, as it may also allow many other operations of a cloud gaming system to be performed by the pass-through device itself rather than the streaming device, such as facilitating low-latency video decoding, high processing power, wireless connection to devices through Bluetooth, wireless connection to a cloud gaming server, controller input and video frames processing at low-latency, providing video frames for rendering by a video display device, and more, as detailed in the patent.

Additionally, the functionality of how the video game(s) will be executed through the pass-through device on the streaming device and/or streaming service seemingly remains the same as any other cloud gaming system. "In one embodiment, the game streaming logic is configured to receive a compressed stream of the video game, decode the compressed stream of the video game, and provide image data for rendering by the display screen, and receiving user input by the game streaming logic for driving interactivity of the video game while said cloud gaming system executes said video game," explains the patent. Accordingly, the pass-through device will be responsible for "receiving an indication of selection of the video game, for a gaming session, through a user interface associated with a streaming device" and "receiving a signal that the gaming session is active."

Sony
Embodiment of streaming a selected video game from a cloud computing and gaming provider and displaying the selected video game on a display screen of the user, in accordance with an implementation of the disclosure. | Source: PATENTSCOPE

As for the hardware implementation of the pass-through device, it seems to be the same as any other streaming device, where the pass-through device will comprise an HDMI input and output port. Additionally, the pass-through device will also contain a "passthrough logic" and "game streaming logic," which will be responsible for the execution of the cloud gaming system on the connected streaming device and/or streaming service. The pass-through device may supposedly be connected to any device that supports a streaming device's connection and has internet access, such as a smart television or mobile device. Lastly, unlike current cloud gaming systems, the controller (or any other input device) may not need to be connected directly to the streaming/display device but, rather, wirelessly to the pass-through device, which eradicates the need for even a computer or console for the cloud gaming system to work on.

The patent highlights the potential for cloud gaming services to be used on many devices, including mobile devices, smart televisions, and conventional video game consoles, without needing a computer or any such device for the cloud gaming system to work on. This could make cloud gaming more accessible to a broader audience and allow for more convenient gaming on the go. It's important to note that being awarded a patent does not necessarily mean that Sony Interactive Entertainment will develop and implement this cloud gaming system. However, the patent does demonstrate the company's interest in exploring new ways to bring gaming to a broader audience and potentially expand its presence in the streaming service industry.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm that could explain this:
www.resetera.com

Netflix App Datamine Shows DualSense and Ghost of Tsushima Images News

Following news that Netflix is entering the video game industry soon, looks like Netflix might be doing something gaming related with PlayStation as a dataminer recently uncovered some images showcasing some PlayStation products in the Netflix app, along with what appears to be Netflix’s gaming...

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Nice, in a perfect world, this is what I wish Stadia became, or more similar to what I wish the Xbox Streaming Dongle would be.

I wish the HDMI in wasnt something MS took away after the Xbox One. It was such a useful feature - my X1s is still plugged in for this purpose.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So those troll Youtube users who kept saying that phrase, can now really mean it: " you can play the games on youtube instead"
XD

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there will be benefits to both sub base? I would be stoked if I could get to play some real games on my Netflix sub.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Well partnering with Netflix and YouTube is a good move because you know they're will be an audience if their games launch on it.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a device is a good idea for tvs that can't do it themselves like Xbox is doing with Samsung tvs.

Will Sony beat MS to the punch and release a cloud dongle before them?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Sony's strategy for being service agnostic with their films and series has worked well in their favor (while everyone else have been striving to launch their own services). I could see them take similar strides with game streaming.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
The title of this article is very misleading.

This is just a patent, doesn't mean that Netflix or YouTube have any sudden plans to implement this.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Title is more than a little misleading lol.

Firstly it's just a patent. Secondly, the YouTube/Netflix are just potential examples/speculation.

Edit: beaten

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
The title of this article is very misleading.

This is just a patent, doesn't mean that Netflix or YouTube will allow for this.

That is true, but dataminers did already find images of playstation games on the netflix service. At the time I think everyone assumed it was just a weird placeholder or something, but maybe this deal is already in place, it just needs to be implemented.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
This patent has nothing to do with YouTube or Netflix. It's basically a device that just does cloud gaming and has an HDMI in port so you don't lose a HDMI port on your TV.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
this is a patent for a game streaming passthrough dongle thing that'd you'd plug in between your streaming stick (fire stick, roku, or w/e) and your TV

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a successful video game streaming service would make a nice amount of money, assuming the experience is actually smooth.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
So this'll go in-between the fire stick and tv? What about smart tv's? I wonder how that works

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
So this'll go in-between the fire stick and tv? What about smart tv's? I wonder how that works
On a Smart TV it would just be a cloud gaming stick. The problem they are trying to solve is the same one Microsoft has had: how to make a streaming stick that has every service you need while keeping a low cost. The solution in this patent is to just remove everything that a typical streaming stick needs and add an HDMI-in port so you can plug your existing device in for media.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Ok thanks. That makes sense. So it could potentially just look like a fire stick with a an HDMI in on the other end.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
More importantly, Mortal Fighting Tournament has been leaked by these patents. /s

It's an interesting idea as long as it's pulled off properly. Seems like it's a dongle or stick with an hdmi pass through? The bigger news for me is that this suggests Sony is planning to expand cloud gaming to more than just consoles and PC. They need make it more accessible like MS is doing with Xcloud. The patent is older as it still refers to PSNow in the images.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I actually don't think this needs to be a standalone device per se. I think part of the strategy could be to license and integrate directly into other set-top boxes (Roku, Apple) and TVs (like MS has with Samsung), rather than forcing consumers to buy a separate PS add-on. Obviously, cloud gaming stick has analogs, but I think it makes more sense for PS to work with others that already have market penetration. They have the brand power to claim a premium on anyone who wants to license their library of games and that would immediately start generating revenue for them without costly R&D or manufacturing costs.

I've been saying this in the MS/ABK thread for a while, but Sony ABSOLUTELY could get fully behind cloud gaming again and dominate the market nearly overnight - all they need to do is team up with a big partner. YouTube, Netflix, even possibly Steam as platform partners for Sony would totally upend the market dynamic and leave PS poised to take over. And all PS would have to do is find ways to make their games streamable on everyone else's platform (perhaps through the help of another partner like Amazon). This could just be extending their current tech to play off their own system of old consoles. Or, more sustainably, it could also encompass future pushes to do PC ports of old and new games that then run off another company's PC datacenters. Sony can even maybe find a good deal from someone looking to limit or block Azure's growth.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I swear I heard about a patent for this for twitch/luna or YouTube/stadia years ago