• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Expected to recover urinary and, eventually, sexual function.

AP said:
WASHINGTON (AP) — A veteran who lost his genitals from a blast in Afghanistan has received the world's most extensive penis transplant, and doctors said Monday he is recovering well and expected to leave the hospital this week.

Saying they wanted to address "an unspoken injury of war," Johns Hopkins University surgeons rebuilt the man's entire pelvic region — transplanting a penis, scrotum and part of the abdominal wall from a deceased donor — in a highly experimental 14-hour operation last month.

Such transplants "can help those warriors with missing genitalia just as hand and arm transplant transformed the lives of amputees," Dr. W.P. Andrew Lee, Hopkins' chairman of plastic and reconstructive surgery, told reporters Monday.

The patient, who asked to remain anonymous, is expected to recover urinary and, eventually, sexual function.

The scrotum transplant did not include the donor's testicles, meaning reproduction won't be possible. "We just felt there were too many unanswered ethical questions" with that extra step, said Hopkins' Dr. Damon Cooney.

Three other successful penis transplants have been reported, two in South Africa and one in 2016 at Massachusetts General Hospital. Those transplants involved only the penis, not extensive surrounding tissue that made this transplant much more complex.

Pretty incredible. I can't imagine the suffering of those who go through something as traumatic.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
nice news

"We just felt there were too many unanswered ethical questions with that extra step, said Hopkins' Dr. Damon Cooney.

so they could have included the testicles but decided against it? because it seemed like a gray area, ethically speaking?

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Man, that dude got the shaft. Twice.

Hopefully this will allow for a better quality of life

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they even consider transplanting the testicles? Even if they were somehow made functional, those would NOT be his kids.

Sgtpepper89

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Why would they even consider transplanting the testicles? Even if they were somehow made functional, those would NOT be his kids.

Maby you would want everything to be feeling as close to normal as possible, not just the cosmetic outside:) And also if possible with making the testicles functional the testosterone hormones also is a part of other functions in the body if I remember right, muscle growth etc.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
This has got me thinking of the Jon Hamm hand transplant skit from 30 Rock.

It's possible that some of the ethical questions with including functional testicles may be in relation to the donor's family.

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
Testicles aren't just for making babies. They are an important source of multiple androgens that help regulate and maintain various male traits like muscle growth, body hair, and mood. Yes, you can use hormone replacement therapy, but its not as fine tuned to the body's needs as the original source. Over the long run, you're better off with a small hormone factory that can react to neurological input rather than taking estimates from your doctor and pharmacist.

OT: Really cool how they ar able to hook up the nerve cells, that shit is right outta sci-fi. Hope the dude get a chance to enjoy the sexual functionality one day.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
You know, sex or masturbating the first time I assume will be scary. In the back of my mind it would be like "what if we go to hard and the whole fucking thing rips off"

On the plus side, this dude can be like "wanna look at my dick" and probably get real, actual, genuine interest, perhaps a first for man kind.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more amazed that he didn't outright die from the initial injury. There are a bunch of large blood vessels running through the pelvic region.

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more amazed that he didn't outright die from the initial injury. There are a bunch of large blood vessels running through the pelvic region.
Modern battlefield medical technology is damn impressive. Theres a reason we have an overburdened veteran care program now. Most of them would be dead in decades past during the combat of the last 15 years.

Jan 7, 2018
Legit question, how will he regain sexual function without testicles? I thought testicles were needed in order to get an erection or an orgarsm. Is hormone replacement enough?

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, they gave him a sack but no balls? That's fucked up. Citing ethical concerns? In a dick and balls transplant? Come the fuck on, let the dude nut.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, they gave him a sack but no balls? That's fucked up. Citing ethical concerns? In a dick and balls transplant? Come the fuck on, let the dude nut.

Apparently it's so that he doesn't take on another persons DNA/sperm cells. According to replies on twitter.

Could be bro science on there though.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, sex or masturbating the first time I assume will be scary. In the back of my mind it would be like "what if we go to hard and the whole fucking thing rips off"

"Do not attempt autoerotic manipulation for at least six months, to allow healing and cellular regeneration."

Four days later...

"What did I tell you?"

"PARABLE OF THE SNAKE "

Br4eePs.gif

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, i would be so scared of my body rejecting it.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
It would be weird af when u masturbate and u think about the fact that you're jerking off a dead guy's dick. Sorry but it's true

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
fellas, is it gay to masturbate with another man's penis attached to your body?
:thonk:

Questions that keep me awake at night

khaz

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't they be? The testes are his now, and when did not being the biological parent stop people from being parents to kids?

I think the ethical problem would be more about using the genetic material of a deceased to father a child. While the donor have acquiesced to giving his organs to help people, using his sperm to make babies is something completely different.