• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Independent developer Chameleon Games, filled with veterans from Rare's "golden era" of game development, is announcing Tamarin, a third-person, action-adventure game featuring an agile monkey set in Nordic scenery.

Tamarin "channels the energy of 3D platformer classics and explorative Metroidvania shooters." The game revolves around pollution and destruction from ever-expanding insects that forces the monkey to fight for his family's survival.

Described as an interconnected 3D world with primate platforming and bug-splattering shooter action, Tamarin lets players journey into northern wilderness through forests, fjords and mountains. Players will encounter mysterious electrical fireflies, a secret underground world of dancing ants, innocent birds that need rescuing and more in an attempt to restore the tamarins' once idyllic natural habitat.

Soundtrack by David Wise.
Tamarin is launching on PS4 and PC this Summer for $29.99 / £22.99 / €27.99 with a Deluxe Edition including the game's soundtrack for $39.99 / £29.99 / €35.99.

003.jpg

EDIT: More info from Gematsu:
Tamarin's concept art, pre-production, and character design are handled by "creators of iconic characters such as Diddy Kong, Banjo-Kazooie, and Battletoads," its art production by Donkey Kong 64 artist Richard Vaucher, its music by Donkey Kong Country composer David Wise, and its sound effects by Graeme Norgate (GoldenEye 007, Killer Instinct).

I feel like you've buried the lede here, this is basically Jet Force Gemini 2 with a David Wise soundtrack lol. I did a double take when I saw the gun-toting ants ripped from JFG.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A spiritual successor to Jet Force Gemini mixed with a collectathon platformer? I am in.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you've buried the lede here, this is basically Jet Force Gemini 2 with a David Wise soundtrack lol. I did a double take when I saw the gun-toting ants ripped from JFG.

Would be nice to know which Rare veterans are working on this exactly, the website doesn't give much info.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
art style looks really drab for a game like this. don't feel it works all that well. and it's hard to gauge level design from this trailer, but it looks flat

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is Rare's golden era? They've been producing pretty good things for most of their life (and before as Ultimate).

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Ok, loved Rare's golden era and I'm all in if it turns out to be a good game. The trailer, however, didn't really sell me. The gunplay looks janky and the platforming, while it looks like it controls well, doesn't look very interesting. Hoping to be wrong.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Well i guess it's safe to say nobody thought "Cute cuddly fuzzy critter" when thinking "Jet Force Gemini spiritual Successor"

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but shake the feeling that this looks like one of those Unity Asset Flip games. I know that really does the team a disservice, but this game looks so damn "generically pretty". like a bunch of assets were bought and combined with enough technical knowhow to not make it look like shit, but it looks so damn generic

Oct 29, 2017
Looks pretty good! Looks like what would happen if Jet Force Gemini and Starfox Adventures had a baby!

It does look low budget and quite simple with its level design. The assets also look procedurally generated/store bought but it looks decent enough. Keep your expectations tempered and I reckon it'll be a decent little game.

EloNoolah

Oct 25, 2017
Music sounds great (obviously), but I'm not really feeling... any of the rest of it. Especially the mogwai ass-looking protagonist.

Also, just how big was Rare in its heyday that there can be like 4-5 different studios all comprised of "core" "veteran" devs?

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
Not crazy about the design of the main character, but hot damn did I love me some JFG.

Keeping an eye on this one.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing as a lot of Rare's "golden era talent" is accounted in other studios like Rare, Playtonic, Gory Detail, Crash Lab, etc, I'm wondering just exactly how many ex-Rare devs are working at this studio. At least the other offshoot studios backed up their ex-Rare status with actual names.

Music sounds great (obviously), but I'm not really feeling... any of the rest of it. Especially the mogwai ass-looking protagonist.

Also, just how big was Rare in its heyday that there can be like 4-5 different studios all comprised of "core" "veteran" devs?
Most of the offshoot studios are fairly small in size. Gory Detail only has two devs, for instance. Chris Seavor (of Conker fame) works there though, which is why that team is noteworthy.

thebagel1

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What exactly is Rare's golden era? They've been producing pretty good things for most of their life (and before as Ultimate).
Do you really not know? Basically Donkey Kong Country onward, until they got bought by MS. I know people like Viva Pinata and Nuts and Bolts, but I've never played VP and think nuts and bolts is an absolute disgrace, so I'm not tryna have that argument. Its ok if you like it tho

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
You can literally hear the exact same death noise in the trailer from JFG.

The targeting reticule is basically the same, ant enemies, the lights on doors that signify whether it's locked or not are incredibly similar.

I never thought I'd see something like this.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, after Yooka-Laylee and Tengami the phrase "former Rare devs" holds no weight with me anymore. The magic is gone.

I'll gladly buy this game if it reviews well. But not before.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"I thought you said you were the director of Banjo-Kazooie?"

"Did I say that? No, I was the guy who provided the burps for Banjo-Kazooie. I was the designer for Beaver Bother in Donkey Kong 64!"

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
When they say the Golden Era of Rare, did they actually mean to say the Starfox Adventures era of Rare?

"I thought you said you were the director of Banjo-Kazooie?"

"Did I say that? No, I was the guy who provided the burps for Banjo-Kazooie. I was the designer for Beaver Bother in Donkey Kong 64!"
A quick trip to Linkedin only shows one person out of the 5 listed who actually worked at Rare, as an artist on Dk64 and Kameo.
Other than that most of the staff or in Norway and Taiwan

https://www.linkedin.com/company/chameleon-games/people/

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks semi interesting, but I'm not at all confident it's going to be classic Rare quality. Looks a bit bland and early, like it needs more vibrancy and character to the world, characters, art, gameplay etc.

There's Sea of Thieves, Banjo Nuts n Bolts, Viva Pinata, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero etc, and then there's Rare's golden era titles like Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Country etc, eg games that were far more revered and acclaimed.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like a mobile game for 4 years old, how on earth can anyone look at that and go "yeah, that looks like a good game"