• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

The only resolution found on PS5 was 2560x1440.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 2304x1296 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2080x1170. Native resolution pixel counts at 2080x1170 seem to be common on Xbox Series S. On Xbox Series S a form of temporal reconstruction is used to increase the resolution up to 3200x1800.

Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3200x1800 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2560x1440. Native resolution pixel counts at or near 3200x1800 seem to be common on Xbox Series X. On Xbox Series X a form of temporal reconstruction is used to increase the resolution up to 3200x1800 when rendering natively below this resolution.

All three consoles render the UI at 3840x2160.

Texture streaming is faster on PS5 than Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hQHkKqajXP8WluaduaXBT7bPMavmjdZ_ Note that these screenshots are right after loading and these are not representative of how the game generally looks on the Xbox consoles.

Stats: http://bit.ly/30wJM78 Frames Pixel Counted: http://bit.ly/3sV2VvQ

gw8siil.png

Curious that the game running on the Series S is uncapped when it was pitched as having a 30fps lock

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Oooof those Series S results.

At least the other two consoles are pretty much locked 60 with a good bump in visuals, nice!

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Nice to see performance being so good, I'll definitely pick this up when the physical edition releases

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So...why didn't they just do 1440p/60fps for Series S again?

Why is it trying to be 4K/30? (well uncapped)

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So...why didn't they just do 1440p/60fps for Series S again?

Why is it trying to be 4K/30? (well uncapped)
To be fair, it only uses reconstruction to reach 1800p. The native resolution never exceeds 1296p.

As for the comparison, looks like the Series X has a decided advantage here. It's lowest native is the same as PS5's peak (and only) resolution while it can go much higher otherwise at only the cost of 1 average frame less, while PS5 has a temporary advantage in texture streaming which probably stabilizes after a second or so.

Guys,just to make sure,does everything have a green tint or its my TV ?

It's not just you, I'm watching the video and can see the green tint on youtube as well.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
To be fair, it only uses reconstruction to reach 1800p. The native resolution never exceeds 1296p.

As for the comparison, looks like the Series X has a decided advantage here. It's lowest native is the same as PS5's peak (and only) resolution while it can go much higher otherwise at only the cost of 1 average frame less, while PS5 has a temporary advantage in texture streaming which probably stabilizes after a second or so.

It's not just you, I'm watching the video and can see the green tint on youtube as well.

Ok,it does go away a bit in the later parts thank god ;)

It's called "art style", and it's pretty much just the opening/hub area. It's a swamp, so.. it's green.

True and yeah,better later on...its just that my set as a slight green saturation in dark areas,especially from my Fiber TV feeds so I just dont want it to get worst ;P

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a native PS5/SX|SS app now or a BC enhancement only patch ?

The 1440p/1800p resolutions are the same as the PS4 Pro / Xbox One X ran the game at IIRC.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Is this a native PS5/SX|SS app now or a BC enhancement only patch ?

The 1440p/1800p resolutions are the same as the PS4 Pro / Xbox One X ran the game at IIRC.
It's a native PS5 app but surprisingly still runs in the same settings as those versions, only added bonus I know of is Dualsense features

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It doesn't even hit 1440p (native). It also never reaches 4k, not even with temporal reconstruction (no console does though).

The bottom on the series s is still higher than 1080p, which makes no sense considering the other games that uses reconstruction on the system.

Gears 5, Valhalla all have bottoms of 720p that is reconstructed to 1440p and 1080p respectively.

I would seriously suggest the devs to lower the bottom to 900p or below and get a stable 1440p60 after reconstruction.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's a native PS5 app but surprisingly still runs in the same settings as those versions, only added bonus I know of is Dualsense features

Hmm, that's disappointing I suppose.

Looking at some news online, it seems like the "Enhanced Edition" is only a resolution and frame rate bump, there are no other visual enhancements.

www.thegamer.com

Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition Is A Free Next-Gen Upgrade Available On March 4

Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition will be for PS4 and Xbox One.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I think unlocking the frame rate (in the BC version) would give similar results here. So it's interesting that these native versions are giving the same results.

I'm guessing adding DS, and XSS support is easier with native ports.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Seems a bit dumb to be advertising this release as 4k when it's running at 1440p on PS5 and 1800p on Series X; the same as the game was running on PS4 and One X..?

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Do I need to run this on the ps5s internal HD or can I keep it on the external drive to see the benefits?

Nevermind, there's actually a ps5 version in the store.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Seems a bit dumb to be advertising this release as 4k when it's running at 1440p on PS5 and 1800p on Series X; the same as the game was running on PS4 and One X..?

It's a small studio and all, but that tweet is just plain false advertisement.

The game doesn't hit 4K on any platform and going comparisons, there doesn't seem to be much/any enhancements in the assets either.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017

The game doesn't hit 4K on any platform and going comparisons, there doesn't seem to be much/any enhancements in the assets either.
Even the reconstruction is only up to 1800p on XSX when native resolution drops. Which was also the same as the one X. The only thing that is native 4k is the UI.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas

"4k* *not actually 4k" is a pretty common trend in this generation's marketing, and a lot don't even give the "*not actually 4k" footnote.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
The texture loading is extremely jarring on Series X. Any time you exit a menu the entire game is just a blurry, low res texture for several seconds. Once it has a moment everything looks good, but it is happening consistently.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of games use upscaling that also advertise it as "true 4k". As long as the consumer can't tell the difference between 4k and upscaling/1800p it will just be a standard marketing thing

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
*InsertGreenbergTweetHere

lol

I'd kinda be alright with it if it was a resolution bump over the existing last gen versions but shouting '4k!' and selling 'the resolution' as a selling point to the new upgrade when it's exactly the same resolution as the last gen versions ran at feels a bit disingenuous to me.

I guess the Enhanced Edition didn't sound very enhanced without just making up selling points for it.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks good and runs good. On serie x and ps5. 4K is bulkshit. 1440+ is good enough

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The texture loading is extremely jarring on Series X. Any time you exit a menu the entire game is just a blurry, low res texture for several seconds. Once it has a moment everything looks good, but it is happening consistently.
Wonder if it's a UE4 optimisation issue on XSX. There's none of that on the PC version with my PCIe 3.0 SSD (SX8200 Pro) and I'd guess XSX's IO is at least as good as that.

I'm also surprised the game isn't running native 4k on XSX and PS4, it's really not a demanding game on PC even at Ultra settings.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I might be wrong here, but was Mortal Shell supposed to have RT support coming at some point in time?

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It looks amazing, but there are some problems with texture loading.
The game can be short if you know what to do and where to go, but that's for your no shell run. The game is balanced to be played with no shells/obsidian, so playing It normally is easy mode.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Well, I am glad that Series S isn't just 30 fps but is in fact an inconsistent unlocked frame rate, though it sucks that it would probably feel pretty jittery in motion. I wish they could have tweaked the resolution and maybe some settings in order to get it to a much more consistent 60fps, but it is what it is and I don't even have a Series S yet

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, that's disappointing I suppose.

Looking at some news online, it seems like the "Enhanced Edition" is only a resolution and frame rate bump, there are no other visual enhancements.

www.thegamer.com

Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition Is A Free Next-Gen Upgrade Available On March 4

Mortal Shell: Enhanced Edition will be for PS4 and Xbox One.

They confirmed better textures though but it seems more of a midgen update than a true next-gen update.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Weird that they'd target the Series S resolution so close to PS5 (and then have it reconstructing even higher?) when it clearly isn't on the same level power-wise.

Sometimes it seems like devs are intentionally throwing a wrench in their own way.

johnro

Dec 8, 2017

Does anybody know if the PS5 version has the same issue with texture loading when you exit a menu?

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
This was a fantastic buy. Not to mention it takes up like no space at all on PS5. Think it's around 5 gigs.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It gonna be fixed on PS5:

After all the PS5 was displaying in the PS4 Pro resolution.

They even confirmed this on PS Blog back then: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...edition-comes-to-ps5-march-4/#comment-1831138

Just to confirm, this is sitting at the levels below:

Base res for PS4 on 4k is 2560×1440, upscaled to 4k (3840×2160)

Base res for PS5 is 3200×1800, upscaled to 4k (3840×2160)

There's a big improvement here, especially paired with the new textures and framerate – let me know if you feel the difference. +

Sony needs to fix the BC issue on PS5 clamping even games which want to get PS5 support. They must make it separate udpate and provide the right SDKs for devs to allow smooth transition like XSX and not lock them in PS4 Pro loophole.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It gonna be fixed on PS5:

After all the PS5 was displaying in the PS4 Pro resolution.

They even confirmed this on PS Blog back then: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...edition-comes-to-ps5-march-4/#comment-1831138

Sony needs to fix the BC issue on PS5 clamping even games which want to get PS5 support. They must make it separate udpate and provide the right SDKs for devs to allow smooth transition like XSX and not lock them in PS4 Pro loophole.

Good stuff. 1440p is too low for my tastes. 1800p is an excellent sweet spot. I can still discern the difference between that and native 4K if I look closely but they feel pretty much identical.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I picked this up for ps5 last week. I'm not surprised the resolution is the same as the Pro, as the game doesn't look as clean as my other native ps5 games. I kind of wonder just how much "next-gen" optimizing they did for the game, but it runs very well and I bought it for a reasonable price, so I can't really complain.