• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I think one thing you could see is more noticeable pop-in on the Series X– if the PS5 is able to stream in the world assets faster.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think most 3rd parties will make games with the lesser parts of both machines in mind to ensure parity i.e. work with the Series X HDD in mind and the PS5 GPU.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
I look forward to this one throwaway elevator line from a live podcast conversation - that Brad openly says he's making up - being used in console wars arguments for the next however long.

The takeaway from this conversation is 'game devs find a way'. That's always been the case and it will continue to be the case. Every release is taking advantage of and/or compromising around locked design decisions.
You should edit this into the OP and maybe change the title to more reflect the line in context.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
PS5 is going to be badass. I'm in the boat believing SSD will make next gen feel next gen. Can't wait to see this beast.

Oct 25, 2017
"Like, that will be the tricks and the techniques, so – I am just making this up – maybe there are elevators in the Xbox Series X version and not on the [PS5] version. I don't know yet how they're gonna address it, but they'll learn to address it and they will figure out ways to work around it."

Ideally this is what would happen. In practice both version will just have elevators.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I suppose the same could be said for the GPU difference. Temporal upscaling solution, with lower base res.

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I don't think he meant literal elevators, he was just spouting off, what needs to be gained from this is that developers will figure out ways to adapt, and that's all.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Your thinking exactly along the lines that made Linus apologize. It's not about faster loading screens, games are constantly loading during RUN TIME. With that in mind

Playstation 5 can potentially have:
Better draw distances
Better LOD
Higher quality assets across the board

As well as better load times.

giphy.gif

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I would be shocked if most third party developers would not just develop their games for the lowest common denominator. I mean, there's literally 0 chance that levels will get changed just because the PS5 can load them faster, simply because it's way too expensive and work intensive to do that.

The super fast PS5 SSD is nice for first party, but it won't make any economical sense to heavily adjust your games to suit one particular platform. On PCs and the Xbox, you'll have to work with what's there. So it's 2 platforms against 1. The scenario pointed out in the OP is highly unlikely.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
third parties simply wont take advantage of the ssd in that way. game design is a tricky thing and it will always be designed with the lowest common denominator in mind.

ps5 might get better textures or character models but thats about it. you wont get superman moving at 2x the speed on ps5 than xsx.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Focusing on that one comment out of a much larger discussion seems like something that's actually the opposite of insightful. Like, we all understand ways game design work around hiding loading/caching within current HDD speeds. We understand how slow-walk hallways or elevators, or airlock-style entryways work in practice. Assuming the comment taken on its own is insightful on the nature of next-gen (i.e., that the hardware distinctions necessitate that degree of level-design difference for multi-plats between Series X and PS5) seems unlikely , if not laughable. The underlying speeds we're talking about for both systems aren't "add an elevator" sorts of variation. If truly necessary, you simply work to the lowest-common denominator.

The broader conversation is solid though, in the sense that these are the kinds of things that any-and-all software engineering works through in multi-plat (or variable spec) development.

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
What a weird statement since all multiplatform games will be developed with the slower Xbox SSD and PC SSDs in mind.
Your thinking exactly along the lines that made Linus apologize. It's not about faster loading screens, games are constantly loading during RUN TIME. With that in mind

Playstation 5 can potentially have:
Better draw distances
Better LOD
Higher quality assets across the board

As well as better load times.
Better draw distances? No, the GPU, RAM and CPU still have to deal with those assets. Better LOD? Possible, if by better you mean quicker transitions. Higher quality assets across the board? Unlikely for the same reason as better draw distances.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The areas that the XSX are stronger in do not allow for the same sort of revolution in game design that the storage solution does. Yes the XSX may have the beefier GPU, but it's comparatively easy for developers to just lower the resolution for a weaker GPU.

That assumes the very quick SSD in the XSX is incapable of these revolutions in game design. The XSX isn't toting a slow HDD.

Both machines can fill their entire (comparatively limited memory pool) in around 5 seconds. The PS5 can do it in roughly half the time of the XSX. That might make a massive difference, it might make a small practical difference. We won't know until the games come out. We can only say it's comparatively easy for developers to lower the resolution for a weaker GPU because we've seen them do it. It could easily turn out it's comparatively easy for developers to work with the limitations of an SSD of the XSX's speed vs one of the PS5 speed without much obvious issue for the player in much the same way downscaling resolution is 'trivial'.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Both consoles memory and storage bandwidth is already off the chart insane compared to current gen, the idea that dev's would ever have to use "elevators" to hide loading times again is a joke.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I would be shocked if most third party developers would not just develop their games for the lowest common denominator. I mean, there's literally 0 chance that levels will get changed just because the PS5 can load them faster, simply because it's way too expensive and work intensive to do that.

The super fast PS5 SSD is nice for first party, but it won't make any economical sense to heavily adjust your games to suit one particular platform. On PCs and the Xbox, you'll have to work with what's there. So it's 2 platforms against 1. The scenario pointed out in the OP is highly unlikely.

Thanks Thomas,

This needs to be threadmarked.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Honestly, I can deal with some loading for a better looking game, its not like the series x hard drive is going to be so far behind that we have multi minute load times or something. Also, can't really see a dev changing the world layout between consoles (removing elevators/corridors).

Oct 28, 2017
actually hilarious that someone would actually think that in a multiplat game, one version would have instantaneous loading while in the other version, there would be an elevator or something.

But go off console warriors.

actually hilarious that someone would actually think they could comment on an article they didn't even read, then try to turn it into console wars or something.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
"I'll say two things with that. One, I understand that it's a marketing point and a high point – and I think I said in the last podcast we did, I'm really impressed with what they've done in the architecture with their drive and I think they'll be able to do really cool stuff with it," said Stillwell.

"I also don't think it's as impressive over what you'll be able to do [with Xbox Series X] and so I have high confidence in that team. I will also say – look I reserve the right to wake up smarter tomorrow and someone may prove me wrong and we'll learn. The one thing I have learned is [to] never underestimate game developers' [ability] to take advantage of something and work around it, but that works on both sides.
Conveniently left out of the OP lol.

I don't think the difference is going to be as large as some people thing. Sony first party is going to be where we see it, but even then you won't really be able to compare it because those games won't be available on any other platform. Interesting times.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The Xbox will be the baseline for multiplats, not PS5, the SSD speed on PS5 is more for exclusives.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If you're bound on memory rather than GPU draw rate then it could in those instances.

With a system like nanite, for example, it's quite possible, hypothetically, that a system with more memory access and a weaker GPU would draw a scene at a lower resolution but higher per pixel quality. And a system with less memory access an a stronger GPU could draw the same scene at a high resolution but lower per pixel quality.

It depends entirely on where the bound is and what the limit on input scalability is.

I suppose that is where something like VRS becomes more useful, rather thank blanket reduce that per pixel quality, you could increase it where it isn't most needed?

Dec 11, 2017
Dumb question in regards to system memory:

What is the practical difference between the PS5 having a faster SSD but slower memory, versus the Series X having a slower SSD but faster memory?

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I mean, isnt the SSD in the XSX faster than most NVMe drives already? I don't get what all the hoopla is all about. They both have SSD's that currently are cutting edge / still to come in the pc space. Most PC SSD's run at like 550 MB/s and the XSX has like what 5 times that?

Until games have moved on from cross-gen and from the baseline "slow" SSD's that are on PC's i doubt we will see much change in games except loading levels faster and faster UI's.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
www.vg247.com

Developers making Xbox Series X games will learn to address PS5's SSD advantage, says ex-Xbox lead

Developers working on multiplatform games will find a way to get around Xbox Series X's relatively slower SSD compared …

Developers will find solution to address the speed difference between XSX SSD and faster PS5 SSD said ex Xbox division, Brad Stillwell.
Like every generation and hardware, build games with lowest common nominator in mind. Xbsx is still faster than most SSD even though its not as fast as ps5. Still a good advantage over many todays pc.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Sounds like TF talk is a thing of the past now and everyone's talking about SSD nowadays, which is more interesting and exciting IMO, especially hearing about all the design and gameplay changes it could offer.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah no.

If I cared enough, I would bookmark all these thinly-veiled console warrior threads for a revisit in a years time when we've had good hands-on time with both consoles and all this speculation turns out to be crap.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This really doesn't make any sense. You'd think the XSX had an HDD.

While only half as fast, both consoles are capable of streaming gigs of data in a second. And MS is using some proprietary software (+ a little hardware) to close the gap a bit.

It's like saying:

"Maybe the XSX will hit 4K native, but the PS5....I dunno....drops to 720p or something"

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I see we're now at the point of equating an industry person sharing loose thoughts on a topic to an official MS statement, lol.

" ... Microsoft's William Stillwell, who currently manages the company's Mixed Reality program, spent years at Xbox working on backwards compatibility, xCloud, and Xbox platform services. ... "

Yeah, surely him isn't to be trusted, he didn't even see the PS5 dev kit.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we've had a lot of productive discussion on this topic in other threads lately, but the way the question is framed here is just asking for toxic platform wars. Bad thread.