• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Side note: the comments were made by Epic's VP of engineering not Tim Sweeney, for any future agitator wanting to call him a liar this isn't the thread . My question is why are the comments from the VP of engineering so offensive?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Side note: the comments were made by Epic's VP of engineering not Tim Sweeney, for any future agitator wanting to call him a liar this isn't the thread . My question is why are the comments from the VP of engineering so offensive?

Because he doesn't name any favorised product of the offended people.
And apparently he even denies to do so.

Sony bought epic or atleast this person /s

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The naive and/or baseless narrative which sees the latest and most important and used third-party videogame engine (UE5) created and optimized with a single device architecture in mind (PS5) which will "scale back" to all the others "lesser" platforms.
All of this during a never been so vast era of multi-platform/devices, multi-form factors and even "non-physical" gaming through Cloud Streaming.

tumblr_oc0m0jY9Fy1uv3hlzo1_500.gif
Dude you made a whole thread with this same baseless narrative with this exact subject.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I bet you think it would be perfectly fine to say that the resolution on a game needs to be scaled down from the XsX version to run the same on PS5.

It's however impossible for you no matter how many times it's explained that IO and streaming can scale from the better solution on PS5 to the slower XsX.

What's mind boggling....many of us know for the PS5 resolution will be scaled back, because of the TF difference.

So...why is it so hard to accept the same thing for the SSD?
I was gonna bring this up yesterday.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I love that the PS5 is really pushing SSD speeds to a new level but I'm highly doubting any third party devs will take advantage of it. So it's hard for me to get too excited about it. It could end up being amazing for first party games though.

Don't fall victim to console warrior talk here. The XSX SSD is still very fast. Even in the off chance that 3rd parties don't take full advantage of the speed delta, you're still getting the transformative experiences compared to the previous gen.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
great. We needed that work done. If UE5 is going to help guide development for the next 6-7 years, then certainly there are likely many outdated portions of the engine that will need serious overhauls, even with portions that aren't seeing such huge increases from one gen to the next. With an SSD faster than the overwhelming majority of commercial PC storage solutions? Sweeney isn't THAT forward looking lol.

Based on this response - it was money well spent. LOL. It's 100% marketing and it's ABSOLUTELY a deal. They did it last gen too, even though (surprise surprise), UE4 doesn't run any magically better on PS4 and almost no Sony studios developed UE games all gen. Doesn't mean the things they're saying aren't true, though, of course. The only thing I take exception to in this thread is how people are taking this opportunity to paint "xbox people" in this broad brush like everyone who owns one is SO DEVASTATED about the SSD situation. C'mon. It's endless.

"The SSD will change everything and no one else gets to be the better box because of it!"
"The SSD isn't going to change anything for graphical power and it's just a marketing ploy!"

Like, they're right. But they're also both mostly entirely very wrong. If we spend any more time on these strawmen, we're all going to burn out of gaming by the time these systems launch :/. End of the day, this news isn't worth fighting over lol.

It seems pretty.. standard? "Maker of popular multi-platform middleware engine makes sure next iteration of software supports the basic features of one of its hardware platform. As it should. As has always been expected." Like..? Yea? Imagine if Unreal was just like.. Yea, we support the Switch, but lol "HD Rumble", nah we're not gonna support that shit. Portable mode? Nah son, you got docked!!

IMO.. Epic did its job. Successful middleware developers do their best to allow devs to make the most of the hardware they're on - especially when it's something that's new and exciting and pushing the envelope of what we have. I'd be interested if the situation were that Epic had to say "No, the engine required a total IO rewrite to support how slow and anemic and crappy the Xbox storage solution is." Or even worse "Sony's storage solution is great, but Epic didn't find the need to upgrade its engine to support those massive improvements." These are hardly the case. So this is not worth the trouble. But we do love our console wars. As well as the other side of the coin: the absolute glee I see from people on this forum in trying to slap down the warriors is... honestly counterproductive. But I get it, it makes us feel good and justified and righteous. I do it too (both things, really).. but we should probably stop. Eh, but we all knew that.

You are bang on. Here's the litmus test.

Even fans of the Xbox need to acknowledge that the PS5s SSD IO solution is remarkable and will do more than simply load games quicker. 3rd Party games will be comparable.

Even fans of Sony need to acknowledge that the XSX is slightly more powerful, and was designed thoughtfully. It is not a brute force machine using off the shelf parts.

If you start to say words like "only" "No difference" and "merely" terms of viewing the strength of either console, you got problems.

Once we see the PS5's games, people will understand its strength.

Oct 27, 2017
What's mind boggling....many of us know for the PS5 resolution will be scaled back, because of the TF difference.

I was gonna bring this up yesterday.
I was going to say this same thing. I'm not exactly sure why people can't accept that Sony and MS focused on really pushing certain areas of their respective system architecture, and therefore, those areas with be strengths they can play to.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft already hyped up SSD at last year's E3 briefing. They say it'll give gamers "new experience". The thing is both companies are hyping SSD.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Edit: timestamped to the part where they mention the SSD.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If memory serves, the UE4 was initially unveiled and demonstrated in a completely platform agnostic way, and only a year later did they show the demo for PS4.

In fact, the stark contrast between the initial UE4 reveal and the initial UE5 reveal should be more than enough evidence to show that a contract is indeed in place.

Zero platforms mentioned at any point. Certainly nothing about anything here being "made possible thanks to X platform feature".

And just to address this before anyone brings it up, I am in no way downplaying the actually extremely advanced and exciting PS5 I/O architecture or any other PS5 feature, any Unreal Engine 5 feature or the synergy between those. If you have any doubts about my opinion on the PS5, check my post history.

Look at the views of every tech demo be it unreal or something else and then look at the views of the Unreal 5 demo .
12 million views just on one channel alone if anything it would make sense for EPIC to ask Sony not the other way around .
Plus Unreal 5 is a shift is how things are done and right now Sony has the fastest SSD speed.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Microsoft already hyped up SSD at last year's E3 briefing. They say it'll give gamers "new experience". The thing is both companies are hyping SSD.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Yes, they are hyping their SSD strongly:

Joel Baker, Technical Director at Hinterland Games
"The most exciting thing for me is the addition of an SSD and the custom hardware surrounding it to help get data into memory faster. This is not only going to allow for better streaming and load times but also make it easier to work with larger data sets that don't easily fit into memory. The addition of hardware ray tracing is also super exciting, but it's how it can be used outside of graphics that will enable the biggest changes."

Kevin Floyer-Lea, Chief Technology Innovation Officer at Rebellion
"The SSD storage speed then lets us take those beautiful realistic environments and make them load in a flash. And we're talking about bigger environments than the ones we could create on Xbox One."

and others....

but
"lol, ssd" "sony doesn't have anything else, that is why they talk about SSD" /s

Source Microsoft marketing

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Its not automatically not believing them its just not taking it 100 per cent as fact without proof. Every gen starts with the big marketing talk of new worlds and new things its hard not to roll your eyes at statements like that now.
What in the blazes? The mans company owns one of the biggest graphic engines used by many devs and his tech team rewrote certain io code in their engine to take advantage of PS5 high bandwidth 12 lane ssd. Where is the problem of not believing its real and it works? The even released their new engine running on the PS5 for crying out loud.
We need that time to bailout gif back.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017

Uhmm they wont. 10.3 to 12 is not a hindrance to full 4K [The devs will decide of course] You're brain is stuck on one thing when this time around its a whole different setup. Up from scratch not an add on in power to existing hardware.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing "PR" about the PS5 IO solution.

It's really, really fucking fast.
Y'know how it is. People just need to see and experience it in action in real time in a real game to be able to really grasp the significance of it. Until then it's always going to feel like people are downplaying it or overhyping it.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017

No one is saying it isn't, or calling that PR. The notion that the kinds of things shown on the UE demo are ONLY possible on UE5, or possible elsewhere only with very significant downgrades, which is something Epic never said, is fueled by the fact that Epic PR focuses solely on how the PS5 runs these technologies and doesn't talk about any other hardware beyond "yeah it runs" despite the engine being multiplatform.

The PS5 I/O architecture is significantly better than anything mainstream today and this is not up to opinion.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
No one is saying it isn't, or calling that PR. The notion that the kinds of things shown on the UE demo are ONLY possible on UE5, or possible elsewhere only with very significant downgrades, which is something Epic never said, is fueled by the fact that Epic PR focuses solely on how the PS5 runs these technologies and doesn't talk about any other hardware beyond "yeah it runs" despite the engine being multiplatform.

The PS5 I/O architecture is significantly better than anything mainstream today and this is not up to opinion.
There are certainly things developers can do with the PS5 that can't be done the same, as fast, or as well on any other consumer hardware at the moment. That's also a fact.

The PS5's IO is a big deal that will lead to actual results in games.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are certainly things developers can do with the PS5 that can't be done the same, as fast, or as well on any other consumer hardware at the moment. That's also a fact.

More importantly is it fun to work with?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017

It is a fact, but nobody knows what that difference is going to look like on their screens when leveraging the same I/O-intensive technology scaled to the competition's I/O architecture. And those who say the difference is going to be large (or small) are doing so without actually having any reason to do so. It might turn out to be true, but speaking about the makers of the only such technology we've seen so far, they haven't actually said ANYTHING about that.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It is a fact, but nobody knows what that difference is going to look like on their screens when leveraging the same I/O-intensive technology scaled to the competition's I/O architecture. And those who say the difference is going to be large (or small) are doing so without actually having any reason to do so. It might turn out to be true, but speaking about the makers of the only such technology we've seen so far, they haven't actually said ANYTHING about that.
I'm saying it.

It's so strange to see gamers downplaying technology that will help make games better. That this tech exists is an objective good, there is no downside, only upside. There is no other consumer solution that compares to this setup, and we should want companies to push the boundaries of technology for our benefit.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I love that the PS5 is really pushing SSD speeds to a new level but I'm highly doubting any third party devs will take advantage of it. So it's hard for me to get too excited about it. It could end up being amazing for first party games though.
Cerny said all of this SSD speed is invisible to the devs, they don't need to do anything. They just ask for data and it gets put into RAM ready to go super fast, so even if they don't design games around it they're still getting faster storage by default, so in the same way you might expect the Series X will have marginally higher resolution and/or better framerates, the PS5 ahould absolutely never have any issues with LOD pop in and the like. It will be flawless if the game is designed for slower SSDs. So there's one benefit for no cost.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the views of every tech demo be it unreal or something else and then look at the views of the Unreal 5 demo .
12 million views just on one channel alone if anything it would make sense for EPIC to ask Sony not the other way around .
Plus Unreal 5 is a shift is how things are done and right now Sony has the fastest SSD speed.
Yep. PS5 is legitimately cutting-edge in the advancements that are going to be most widely talked about and considered most important over the next few years. The PC market will eventually mass adopt SSDs that compare, but even then it doesn't have the custom hardware with deep I/O optimisations. Sony's unique architecture almost makes it a priority to optimise for. It makes total business sense for Epic to want to explore that technology, since PS5 is going to be one of the most important (popular) platforms for their engine. I can imagine Epic totally approaching Sony and not the other way around.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm saying it.

It's so strange to see gamers downplaying technology that will help make games better. That this tech exists is an objective good, there is no downside, only upside. There is no other consumer solution that compares to this setup, and we should want companies to push the boundaries of technology for our benefit.
It's your opinion that I'm downplaying this technology. What I'm actually saying is "wait until you see it in action". Or rather, wait until you see it in action and compared to other similar technologies that aren't quite as good.

You better believe I hope the difference is large.

By see it in action I mean as a finished product in consumers' hands, of course.

What's "so strange" is that a message as inoccuous as that elicits responses that boil down to "why would you say it sucks?" or "it's embarrassing and you don't know anything about development".

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

- YouTube

Yes, they are hyping their SSD strongly:

Joel Baker, Technical Director at Hinterland Games
"The most exciting thing for me is the addition of an SSD and the custom hardware surrounding it to help get data into memory faster. This is not only going to allow for better streaming and load times but also make it easier to work with larger data sets that don't easily fit into memory. The addition of hardware ray tracing is also super exciting, but it's how it can be used outside of graphics that will enable the biggest changes."

Kevin Floyer-Lea, Chief Technology Innovation Officer at Rebellion
"The SSD storage speed then lets us take those beautiful realistic environments and make them load in a flash. And we're talking about bigger environments than the ones we could create on Xbox One."

and others....

but
"lol, ssd" "sony doesn't have anything else, that is why they talk about SSD" /s

Source Microsoft marketing
I need to look at it. Is this where they mentioned using the SSD like virtual memory?

Nevermind, the timestamp helped. E3 2019 is where they mentioned using their SSD like virtual ram.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's your opinion that I'm downplaying this technology. What I'm actually saying is "wait until you see it in action". Or rather, wait until you see it in action and compared to other similar technologies that aren't quite as good.

By see it in action I mean as a finished product in consumers' hands, of course.
I have see it in action, first hand.

Even if you as a consumer don't consciously realize all the ways it will improve games on many levels, the difference for devs is striking.

Dec 8, 2018

What's "so strange" is that a message as inoccuous as that elicits responses that boil down to "why would you say it sucks?" or "it's embarrassing and you don't know anything about development".

He is a developer you know working on both consoles.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
... can't remember some thing like that...
maybe ultrafast on-demand loading into memory...
kinda like the "scrubbers" of the PS5 ?
nah.

It's pretty hyping up the SSD, than 'comparing the SSD to their nearest competitor'.

So it's a very big leap from the previous 2 gens from it, which had to contend with only 30-50 mb/s.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I have see it in action, first hand.

Even if you as a consumer don't consciously realize all the ways it will improve games on many levels, the difference for devs is striking.
Feel free to say whatever, then. My message was not directed at you.

As for the second point, I'm not sure consumers are going to take this into account when making purchasing decisions if they don't see large differences on their end, whether or not they should.

Arkham

Nov 12, 2017

Would this analogy be reasonable?

Looking at SSD+I/O, the XSX and PS5 are runners at the same starting line. The finish line is 5.5 seconds away. The XSX lane has hurdles but the PS5 lane is clear.

(Or, XSX lane has more hurdles than the PS5 lane, but I wanted to simplify.)

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

As for the second point, I'm not sure consumers are going to take this into account when making purchasing decisions if they don't see large differences on their end, whether or not they should.

Most consumers will see
8K 12TF SONY PlayStation XboXSeriesX Microsoft

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

Dude... give it a rest lol

The SSD will translate to big differences in load times, graphics tech, visuals, etc

It'll be the future for even Xbox consoles mid-gen or next-next gen. You should be excited, not resistant.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018

Honest question, does this include the XSX in your opinion?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

So, can we stop with the madness, please?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Dude... give it a rest lol

The SSD will translate to big differences in load times, graphics tech, visuals, etc

It'll be the future for even Xbox consoles mid-gen or next-next gen. You should be excited, not resistant.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

...so what? We're talking about tech here, our appreciation of it shouldn't be affected by the less informed's lack there of.