• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
I have see it in action, first hand.

Even if you as a consumer don't consciously realize all the ways it will improve games on many levels, the difference for devs is striking.

I now sense hundreds of goal posts moving in the Force after they scrutinize your post.

"Yes it's better for developers, but us consumers will not see any difference between XSX and PS5, if there are changes differences, it will be negligible. 😏"

Edit: I see there is already one. 😂

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude... give it a rest lol

The SSD will translate to big differences in load times, graphics tech, visuals, etc

It'll be the future for even Xbox consoles mid-gen or next-next gen. You should be excited, not resistant.
You mean it doesn't "Seems like MS messed up again tbh, prioritizing the wrong thing and not reading the landscape per usual."?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
...so what? We're talking about tech here, our appreciation of it shouldn't be affected by the less informed's lack there of.
If you've seen a large difference for developers between the PS5 I/O arch. and the XSX's (or are a developer with access to both), you can have this appreciation.

The rest can only speculate on it, especially based on messages from developers that (rightfully) praise the PS5 architecture while making no comparison to either currently available high end NVMe SSDs on PC or the XSX's architecture.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This and so many next gen threads are becoming so fucking unbearable to read.... Serious question, but to all off you warriors, don't you get tired off the BS you are trying to create. Of course disagreement is normal but FFS some of you are annoying and dishonest in every fucking way possible.

Is there a way to find a list of mods that i can contact to discuss my concern that this place is becoming one big shit show... every fucking thread same kind of BS.

Thank you Matt for giving some impressions of the performance of the SSD.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If you've seen a large difference for developers between the PS5 I/O arch. and the XSX's (or are a developer with access to both), you can have this appreciation.

The rest can only speculate on it, especially based on messages from developers that (rightfully) praise the PS5 architecture while making no comparison to either currently available high end NVMe SSDs on PC or the XSX's architecture.
There is no comparison.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the SX's IO or the speed you can get on a PC, and moving to any SSD based solution as a baseline is an incredible upgrade over the past that all games and gamers will benefit from.

But the PS5's IO is on another level. It does basically everything significantly faster than any competition in the consumer space. It is easily and by far the largest difference between the two next gen consoles.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
There is no other consumer solution that compares to this setup, and we should want companies to push the boundaries of technology for our benefit.
Thank you Matt for the feedback. As always your posts are very helpful.

Matt as a PC gamer I wonder if you believe that PC storage hardware in the future will follow the PlayStation 5 route (hardware customization's to resolve all the bottlenecks) or probably will have to get there again with brute force (really, really fast NVMe SSD)?

Personally I don't have any faith that API solutions like DirectStorage will have any significant affect and specific hardware customization's are not an easy option for an open platform (PC).

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It kind of feels like the whole ps5 ssd discussion is going like this now:

Doubter: "it's all pr speak and marketing, wait till we see how it's used".

Poster: " it's not pr speak, it's really good engineering and will help because of...."

Doubter: "yeah well that's all theoretical, wait and see how it actually performs"

Poster: "here are a bunch of devs that have used it and all rave about how good it is"

Doubter: "they are all biased"

Poster: "here are the 3rd party devs praising it"

Doubter: "just don't get your hopes up, it's not magic"

Poster: "actually it is a revolutionary jump and I have seen it in action"

Doubter: "Well let's see if that's enough to make people buy it".

Just constant goal post moving from some people and I don't know why. I don't think it even always is conscious console warring, but the fact that some people are excited about the possibilities of this jump and maybe because its ps5 being discussed, some other posters have to come and shit all over it or force themselves into the discussion as some wise moderator who is just trying to temper expectations.

The excitement hasn't been unreasonable so what exactly is the problem for some of you?

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks) - Continued History of Platform Warring

Poster: " it's not pr speak, it's really good engineering and will help because of...."

Doubter: "yeah well that's all theoretical, wait and see how it actually performs"

Poster: "here are a bunch of devs that have used it and all rave about how good it is"

Just constant goal post moving from some people and I don't know why. I don't think it even always is conscious console warring, but the fact that some people are excited about the possibilities of this jump and maybe because its ps5 being discussed, some other posters have to come and shit all over it or force themselves into the discussion as some wise moderator who is just trying to temper expectations.

The excitement hasn't been unreasonable so what exactly is the problem for some of you?
It's simple: no developers have anything good to say about XSX, and some people have already decided which box they're buying and need to convince themselves they're not buying the dud.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
There is no comparison.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the SX's IO or the speed you can get on a PC, and moving to any SSD based solution as a baseline is an incredible upgrade over the past that all games and gamers will benefit from.

But the PS5's IO is on another level. It does basically everything significantly faster than any competition in the consumer space. It is easily and by far the largest difference between the two next gen consoles.
And we're done here.

End the debate. Both are good, PS5's is way better.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
Don't fall victim to console warrior talk here. The XSX SSD is still very fast. Even in the off chance that 3rd parties don't take full advantage of the speed delta, you're still getting the transformative experiences compared to the previous gen.

What did I say that makes you think I'm pandering to console warrior talk? The PS5 and the XSX both have fast SSD drives. That being said, the PS5's SSD is quite a bit faster, and that extra speed will likely only be truly taken advantage of by first party devs. It could make loading and pop-in slightly faster than XSX, just by pure brute force, but as far as building a game around the PS5's SSD capabilities, that's not going to happen with 3rd party games.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is no need to downplay each machine, both are great, the end. Enjoy your games!

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
There is no comparison.

But the PS5's IO is on another level. It does basically everything significantly faster than any competition in the consumer space.
Well yes, we know it's twice as fast in bandwidth and possibly even faster in latency. That's significantly faster. Never denied that.

Since you're sharing what you've seen, and thank you very much by the way, this is the burning question I've yet to see addressed:
Have you seen work from major developers working on major SX titles? If so does the significant I/O advantage of the PS5 translate to a significantly better end-result in either visuals or game design when compared to SX/current high end PC NVMe?

Since you're basically paraphrasing my back and forth with Matt, I'll just say that it's a gross misrepresentation of what I was actually saying. I know devs praise the PS5. I agree with them. What devs haven't done is say how much better it is than either its direct competition or current high end PC. And I don't doubt for a second if the "revolutionary jump" can actually be experienced by consumers they'll buy it. What I actually said is that I don't know if it'll be enough to make people buy it if the "revolutionary jump" is only on the developer end.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's simple: nobody has anything good to say about XSX, and some people have already decided which box they're buying and need to convince themselves they're not buying the dud.
I have a ton of good to say about the SX. It's an fantastic box that I'm incredibly excited for, and it has a power advantage over the PS5 in many ways. It is also capable of doing things the PS5 can't or can't do as well.

They are both great machines and can both be appreciated.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
And another thing, can we stop the "3rd parties wont take advantage of the extra speed" thing? Why in gods name would they NOT?

Its literally there for them to use, theyre not going to just ignore it lol

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
There is no comparison.

Looking forward to seeing it in action!

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
I have a ton of good to say about the SX. It's an fantastic box that I'm incredibly excited for, and it has a power advantage over the PS5 in many ways. It is also capable of doing things the PS5 can't/as well.
Sure, when prompted you'll apend an 'oh, the other one is decent too'. But I haven't seen a single developer who says something positive about it except in that context. Or as with the Scorn developers, talking about general next-gen features like the CPU being more powerful. It's abundantly clear which platform is more exciting and capable.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's simple: no developers have anything good to say about XSX, and some people have already decided which box they're buying and need to convince themselves they're not buying the dud.
I do think for some people the fact that xbox isn't being as openly discussed by devs as being amazing, especially in comparison to the PS5, makes them feel attacked and start coming up with conspiracy theories like Sony having some marketing deal to exclude xbox talk or xbox having better NDAs etc.

Both consoles are gonna be great, xbox has a stronger cpu and gpu and the PS5 has a better ssd and reduced bottlenecks. If the fact that developers are saying the biggest and most important difference between the two is the ssd speed is enough to rustle your jimmies, maybe think about why that is instead of attacking people for being excited for one particular console.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
What did I say that makes you think I'm pandering to console warrior talk? The PS5 and the XSX both have fast SSD drives. That being said, the PS5's SSD is quite a bit faster, and that extra speed will likely only be truly taken advantage of by first party devs. It could make loading and pop-in slightly faster than XSX, just by pure brute force, but as far as building a game around the PS5's SSD capabilities, that's not going to happen with 3rd party games.
Cerny already specified that devs don't have to do extra work to use the IO at it's peak. So even if they don't design games around it we will still see improvements on things like LOD and pop in. Just like how XSX will probably has some framerate or res advantages without devs having to do anything. Some improvements require no extra work.

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
There is nothing "PR" about the PS5 IO solution.

It's really, really fucking fast.
I have see it in action, first hand.

Even if you as a consumer don't consciously realize all the ways it will improve games on many levels, the difference for devs is striking.

giphy.gif

What a freaking embarrasing thread.

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
I think people will only stop the downplaying and nagging devs like Tim Sweeney and Matt when Sony finally has their event and show what's possible.

On second thought... nah, who am I kidding.

Oct 28, 2017
Entirely depends on the support built into 3rd party engines. UE5 is fully optimised to leverage these speeds so there's no reason to expect third parties using this engine will not leverage the superior I/O performance.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Well yes, we know it's twice as fast in bandwidth and possibly even faster in latency. That's significantly faster. Never denied that.

Since you're sharing what you've seen, and thank you very much by the way, this is the burning question I've yet to see addressed:
Have you seen work from major developers working on major SX titles? If so does the significant I/O advantage of the PS5 translate to a significantly better end-result in either visuals or game design when compared to SX/current high end PC NVMe?
As I have said before, I expect the difference in third party titles to be modest, as they can't be designed around a faster solution. Maybe the PS5's IO advantages will be as noticeable as the SX's TF advantages in those titles.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Since you're basically paraphrasing my back and forth with Matt, I'll just say that it's a gross misrepresentation of what I was actually saying. I know devs praise the PS5. I agree with them. What devs haven't done is say how much better it is than either its direct competition or current high end PC. And I don't doubt for a second if the "revolutionary jump" can actually be experienced by consumers they'll buy it. What I actually said is that I don't know if it'll be enough to make people buy it if the "revolutionary jump" is only on the developer end.
But that line of thinking is flawed to begin with.

If the revolutionary jump helps devs make games by making things easier, quicker and allows them to do things that they haven't before, that will come through in the games and as such it isn't just benefiting the devs.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I think people will only stop the downplaying and nagging devs like Tim Sweeney and Matt when Sony finally has their event and show what's possible.

On second thought... nah, who am I kidding.

Cyberpunk 2077 has to be released with an in-depth DF analysis.
But even then.... they have xbox marketing... it can turn out bad /jk

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
As I have said before, I expect the difference in third party titles to be modest, as they can't be designed around a faster solution. Maybe the PS5's IO advantages will be as noticeable as the SX's TF advantages in those titles.
You don't expect games to be able to easily scale in order to also take full (or at least decent) advantage of the PS5 I/O even in multiplats? Epic made it sound like, at least on Unreal, this can be achieved with relative ease.

But that line of thinking is flawed to begin with.

If the revolutionary jump helps devs make games by making things easier, quicker and allows them to do things that they haven't before, that will come through in the games and as such it isn't just benefiting the devs.
But then the difference becomes visible to the consumers. And what I said was contingent on consumers not being able to see the difference because Matt mentioned consumers not realizing the difference (though I assume he was speaking hypothetically. Then again, so was I). That's all.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You don't expect games to be able to easily scale in order to also take full (or at least decent) advantage of the PS5 I/O even in multiplats? Epic made it sound like, at least on Unreal, this can be achieved with relative ease.
No, as I said I think that will lead to benefits for PS5 games, but game design won't be different.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
No, as I said I think that will lead to benefits for PS5 games, but game design won't be different.
But you expect PS5-only games to have fundamental, easily noticeable design advances that are not possible in any way, even scaled down, on competing systems? (Well, maybe on future high end PCs, but disregard that).

Because that's legitimately new information and it's something I've been wanting to hear.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
This very thread that you are posting is about a third party game engine that made fundamental changes in order to take advantage of the PS5 storage setup.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I have a ton of good to say about the SX. It's an fantastic box that I'm incredibly excited for, and it has a power advantage over the PS5 in many ways. It is also capable of doing things the PS5 can't or can't do as well.

They are both great machines and can both be appreciated.
If you're allowed to share an opinion on this yet, is Ps5 a more easy machine to develop for than SeX? (not saying SeX is hard, but if Ps5 is easier, so fanboys don't start a console war)

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Thank you Matt for the feedback. As always your posts are very helpful.

Matt as a PC gamer I wonder if you believe that PC storage hardware in the future will follow the PlayStation 5 route (hardware customization's to resolve all the bottlenecks) or probably will have to get there again with brute force (really, really fast NVMe SSD)?

Personally I don't have any faith that API solutions like DirectStorage will have any significant affect and specific hardware customization's are not an easy option for an open platform (PC).
DirectStorage is great for what it is, but yeah, I expect brute force speed to be the biggest factor here.

Sure, when prompted you'll apend an 'oh, the other one is decent too'. But I haven't seen a single developer who says something positive about it except in that context. Or as with the Scorn developers, talking about general next-gen features like the CPU being more powerful. It's abundantly clear which platform is more exciting and capable.
The SX more conventional than the PS5, and therefore less novel to talk about. It's still a stronger system in many ways.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DirectStorage is great for what it is, but yeah, I expect brute force speed to be the biggest factor here.

The SX more conventional than the PS5, and therefore less novel to talk about. It's still a stronger system in many ways.
Has a PS5 NDA lifted today Matt you seem unusually talkative ;-)

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
But you expect PS5-only games to have fundamental, easily noticeable design advances that are not possible in any way, even scaled down, on competing systems? (Well, maybe on future high end PCs, but disregard that).

Because that's legitimately new information and it's something I've been wanting to hear.
How much a consumer realizes that this only possible (or only possible in a way that fits the designer's vision) with an IO setup of this speed is something we'll have to wait and see.

But, yes, you can do things on the PS5 you can't on other systems without changing the gameplay experience.
If you're allowed to share an opinion on this yet, is Ps5 a more easy machine to develop for than SeX? (not saying SeX is hard, but if Ps5 is easier, so fanboys don't start a console war)
They are both great to develop for.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Has a PS5 NDA lifted today Matt you seem unusually talkative ;-)
Maybe I really pissed him off, I have that unintentional effect on a lot of people :(

How much a consumer realizes that this only possible (or only possible in a way that fits the designer's vision) with an IO setup of this speed is something we'll have to wait and see.

But, yes, you can do things on the PS5 you can't on other systems without changing the gameplay experience.
Well, they're bound to notice that those things only happen on PS5 exclusives. When I said earlier that "consumers had to see the difference", I just meant the difference had to be noticeable, not that they had to understand what makes that difference possible.

Also, that's really great to hear. If I may press you a little bit further... You've seen currently in-development PS5 titles that have that kind of revolutionary design? It's OK if you can't say that, but damn I hope it's true and we see truly groundbreaking things early in the generation.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
It's so strange to see gamers downplaying technology that will help make games better.

I think we all know the real reason behind all of the FUD that is spread in any thread that is positive about the PS5, or on twitter and the wider internet.

The idea that the PS5 is better than XSX in some ways is anathema to certain people. Even if it's true.

The idea that there isn't really one "better" console that is their console of choice hurts their pride and identity.

Personally I think it's awesome we're getting two amazing boxes that are different.

This and so many next gen threads are becoming so fucking unbearable to read.... Serious question, but to all off you warriors, don't you get tired off the BS you are trying to create. Of course disagreement is normal but FFS some of you are annoying and dishonest in every fucking way possible.

Is there a way to find a list of mods that i can contact to discuss my concern that this place is becoming one big shit show... every fucking thread same kind of BS.

I don't know about the XSX threads but every single PS5 thread is filled with this crap. Even the PS5 tech OT has multiple people basically coming in to troll and purposefully try and disseminate false information, downplay Son'y's approach and any of PS5's advantages etc.

It's getting to the point where's kind of unbearable.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
And another thing, can we stop the "3rd parties wont take advantage of the extra speed" thing? Why in gods name would they NOT?

Its literally there for them to use, theyre not going to just ignore it lol
They will use it in multiple ways. Load times are the most straightforward way, which is why a lot of people initially believed that is all it will bring. Things that come to mind: increased draw distance, texture detail and greater variety of individual assets in frame. They will use every tool at their disposal to represent their games in the best light, especially if it's a smooth experience - which it seems like it's been engineered to be.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Glad to see Matt sharing some info again. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
It honestly is ridiculous that this has to be such a heated debate. No one in here has claimed that the PS5 is the best system, just that the IO is beyond what we've seen or will see in the near future. Why does this bring such controversy? It can inform how things move forward for other consoles or PC, instead of being excited for it you have to dismiss it because it's not your favorite box.

Oct 29, 2017
I think everyone should get and understand the benefit the PS5 I/O and SSD will provide . I feel like the only push back is ppl needing a comparison to what will PS5 be able to do that XSX won't. Simple terms it's like sure you know XSX will be at native 4k vs 1440p on some games for example .

What will be questioned and wondered is what is what can the 5.5 raw SSD speed allow vs the 2.4 raw speed SSD . Until we get a Multiplatform game target for PS5
SSD and the same game changed and adjusted to work on XSX we won't know imo. Unless someone can tell me

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Theoretically speaking can faster I/O allow more polycount,higher-res textures, and more static objects on the screen ?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Sony first party is what going to have to really show off the system in term of what the SSD can do .
This gen both first parties will have system to show off difference aspect which should be great .