• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.vg247.com/2019/02/19/final-fantasy-9-switch-xbox-bugs-bad-hd/

VG24/7 said:
We've seen this story before, of course, but with the Switch release of FF9 it feels particularly egregious. FF9 released on iOS in February 2016. It hit Steam the following April, then PS4 in September 2017. Each and every one of these versions of the game has suffered the same problems, and fans have been consistently vocal about them. We're now three years on from that mobile release and not only has Square Enix not seen fit to fix the problems on those platforms, it's actively releasing the same flawed version of the game on two new pieces of hardware.

Just wanted to share this article because it puts into words my frustrations with Square-Enix and their consistent track record of re-releasing masterpieces from their golden era in buggy, inferior condition. Time and time again Square churns out mobile ports of their JRPG classics that are typically worse than their original forms by most measures (graphically inferior, new bugs introduced, etc.), and then they continue to base successive console re-releases off of this shoddy mobile codebase with zero effort put into fixing or improving them along the way. It's baffling and frustrating, and doubly so since they keep getting away with it. Sure, people on forums will complain and an occasional article like this one or the one Jason Schreier wrote for Kotaku bring more mainstream attention to the matter, but at the end of the day these shitty ports continue to sell like hotcakes regardless. Last I checked the Switch release of FF9 is the best-selling game on the US eShop!

That success is a testament to the quality of these old games, that people are still willing to fork over 20 fuggin' dollars for a quick and easy port of a mobile port that was plagued by issues (some minor, some significant) that have never and will never be addressed despite fan complaints.

vatoibui5rmedbaxqfj9.jpg

And let's not forget what they did to FFVI when they finally deigned to give it an updated release. Gross.

Even if you can look past the flaws in these ports and can justify spending the $20, I'd think that anybody could admit that Square is getting away with doing the absolute bare minimum here. They should be giving these JRPG masterpieces the definitive edition releases that they deserve, but that just never pans out.

giphy.webp

This is how Square-Enix makes me feel when I think about their shoddy FF ports.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a real JRPG mood lately, but these bugs kept me from picking up 9. I'll just wait for DMC5 at this point.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Im still baffled that Chrono Trigger got fixed and put into a great state since S-E usually never cares about bugged releases as long they are not gamebreaking.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Its wild to me that they're charging $21 for FF9 on iOS even tho it's been on that platform for 2+ years. It's even more ridiculous that they're charging the same amount on Switch & Xbox One.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That success is a testament to the quality of these old games, that people are still willing to fork over 20 fuggin' dollars for a quick and easy port of a mobile port that was plagued by issues (some minor, some significant) that have never and will never be addressed despite fan complaints.
it's a testament to the loyalty of Square's fanbase, which I do consider to have been earned.

It's also a testament to Square's blase willingness to squeeze their most loyal customers dry. Square looks at y'all like cows, ripe for the milking. And that's been evident since like the Nintendo DS days.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Square Enix not patching in the original music for the PC release of Final Fantasy VIII while VII was patched within a few months will never cease to bother me.
The lack of consistency is just mind boggling.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I read this over the weekend and wont buy the switch version because of it. So I guess unless the customer is vocal, square just going to keep releasing half assed HD "remassters"

Jan 2, 2018
At this point I'm hoping that the PS5 will be backwards compatible so I can just play the original versions of the older Final Fantasy games. :/

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Square Enix not patching in the original music for the PC release of Final Fantasy VIII while VII was patched within a few months will never cease to bother me.
The lack of consistency is just mind boggling.
Tbf it feels like square wants to ignore VIII altogether.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The director of Final Fantasy VI (Kitase) thinks that the iOS/Android/Steam port looks much better than it used to so.. I hate it too but it probably isn't going anywhere.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Im still baffled that Chrono Trigger got fixed and put into a great state since S-E usually never cares about bugged releases as long they are not gamebreaking.
Yeah that was a headscratcher. Particularly considering it's a property that they haven't shown an inclination in continuing.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It is kinda baffling that Chrono Trigger PC seems like this weird, almost-arbitrary exception.
That's what happens when a game gets review-bombed hard. It deserved it as well.

I'm still holding out hope that SE realizes that they need to preserve their legacy titles with a little more care than they've shown so far.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good. Let's hope more outlets handle this. Their treatment of their legacy games has been an utter joke.

FF IX is one of my favourite games ever and the fact the bug is still in there grinds my gears. Fix this shit already SE, you won't get any money from me until you do. This is unacceptable at this point.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It still makes me incredibly happy to see FF9 at the top of the eShop charts though, that game deserves its success despite the unfortunate state SquareEnix released it in

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah annoyed in this case.
Skyrim also deserves more spotlight for this, especially considering the amount of times it's been ported.

I know the KH collection for PS4 had old bugs for a period too. E.g. Xemnas reversal commands issue, which were present in the PS3 version and not fixed and then reintroduced.
To their credit however, they did actually fix all the issues I'm aware of for the PS4 port making it essentially perfect now, so they have the ability to fix these things. Only when theres enough of an outcry seemingly and their "pedigree" is in question.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I've never played any mainline FF, so I wanted to pickup IX and VII... but until they fix IX's music glitch I'm not buying it. If VII has the same issues, then I'm skipping it as well.

They may be good RPGs, and I'm a fan of the genre, but I'm not rewarding Squeenix for half assing the ports.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
ps2

c0cc318bf73061519ec710726aba4a66.jpg

HD """"remaster""""

5515cabde6beb10af2f312652d37b1ff.png

What makes you think they give a fuck ?

I mean .. this is a disingenuous case ..

FFX Remaster was actually pretty damn good outside of the artistic re-representations of Tidus and Yuna's faces.

They added a lot of environmental textures, high resolution sahdows, new foliage etc in a lot of places.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck.
hgh9N4Cr.jpg

Most regular consumers probably won't see or care about the little issues that we see.

It still makes me incredibly happy to see FF9 at the top of the eShop charts though, that game deserves its success despite the unfortunate state SquareEnix released it in

People still buy all those shitty ports because they know they will be able to mod or apply mods to enhance them.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It's just weird how about half of their re-releases are good ports with some effort and the other half are bare minimum ports of mobile games or whatever.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
I was all set to re-buy the Final Fantasy games on Switch but with these bugs it's a hard pass for me. What a damn shame. There's no excuse for this sloppiness and Square Enix should be embarrassed re-releasing their legacy titles in this state.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Both FF X and XII are good remasters. They updated both the models and textures.

FF12 is good.

Does this FFX model update look good to you ?

I mean .. this is a disingenuous case ..

FFX Remaster was actually pretty damn good outside of the artistic re-representations of Tidus and Yuna's faces.

They added a lot of environmental textures, high resolution sahdows, new foliage etc in a lot of places.

Artistic re-representation ? Removing facial animations and providing vomit inducing faces isn't exactly that, it's just incompetence. Remember the same team handled the atrocious Batman remaster's faces too.

Also i don't exactly give a shit about some random plant near a temple that was remade when the two main characters look like this and I have to look at them for literal dozens of hours.

baZqIJi.jpg

BcWPUUUCcAAiXz4.jpg-large.jpeg

My 4K ps2 emulator version looks better. Also because I can get better colors.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I was going to buy it, but then I saw it was $20 so I started looking for reviews... I am glad I waited.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It would be great if more sites wrote articles about the bugs. Not that I expect Square or whoever they outsourced the work to to care about it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't FFT fine also? The hi-res sprites are nice

The mobile version of FFT is the definitive version of the game. It's based on the PSP remaster (with the addition of improved character models) and mostly fixed that version's issues.

The PSP remaster, great as it was content-wise, was riddled with awful problems that seriously impacted the game's enjoyability, most notably extreme FPS slowdown, audio desyncing, and reduced audio effect quality during many of the game's battle animations. It never received any patches for its major issues, even though they were very easily solved by modders.

I'm praying we get a decent port of the mobile version to consoles one day. As much as I'm irritated by Square Enix refusing to fix these ports' issues, maybe if they sell well we'll see that War of the Lions port.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly I'm part of the problem in regards to the Switch. I bought it sight unseen because I have never gotten around to the game and it seemed like a good one for portable play. I'm trying to to dig into what all the issues are so I can just remain ignorant lol.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
FF12 is good.

Artistic re-representation ? Removing facial animations and providing vomit inducing faces isn't exactly that, it's just incompetence. Remember the same team handled the atrocious Batman remaster's faces too.

Also i don't exactly give a shit about some random plant near a temple that was remade when the two main characters look like this and I have to look at them for literal dozens of hours.

baZqIJi.jpg

BcWPUUUCcAAiXz4.jpg-large.jpeg

My 4K ps2 emulator version looks better. Also because I can get better colors.

I'm talking about bigger changes, not just one plant lol.

Yes I understand people didn't like the new Tidus face, but you simply cannot disregard all the other improvements the remaster had because of that.

Outside of texture injection mods, emulation won't get you any of these improvements.

PS2:
4ukjln.png

PS3:
35pjv9.png

PS2:
11mxjfs.png

PS3:
22dqk61.png

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF12 is good.

Yes, it does?

yTRgLgA.jpg

q8s3bus.jpg

jnILyi3.jpg

phKwI4g.jpg

TQgsoV0.jpg

Y0JoAMR.jpg

YyxD1QP.jpg

gz44lyZ.jpg

D2rhDPE.jpg

R3dZr9a.jpg

And that's not even mentioning the rearranged the whole OST.

Surely the FF XII remaster is an even better work with even a new ilumination system but still... The FF X remaster is pretty good.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
People to stop buying them.

They've lost my FF7 Switch money with this, and there's a good chance I'll skip XII until it's really cheap. They don't derserve my money. Wanted my FF9 fix and caved in blindly, turns out playing the original game through RetroArch is a better experience. I'm getting a better input delay emulating the game with a software renderer than through SE's own native port... This is just insane.

Sep 7, 2018
What's exactly wrong in this version? When I played on Steam sometimes Steiner's hand would disappear in his victory animation.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not touching this or any of their future re-releases on Switch because of this. Damned shame too, because I'd love to replay these games.