• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
What's exactly wrong in this version? When I played on Steam sometimes Steiner's hand would disappear in his victory animation.

- Aera's music starts over from the beginning at the end of each fight. You don't get to listen to a piece in its entirety unless you stay still to avoid random fights.
- There are no analog controls like in the original game. Left stick emulates a d-pad.
- Terrible input delay everywhere. At least one mini-game is unplayable because of this.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
These games are so good that some bugs and minor issues don't matter. I mean, how many non-SE games can you name (available on current consoles) that are in the same class as FFIX? I'm not defending SE's laziness. I'm just saying as long as there are no alternatives people will keep buying these ports.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These games are so good that some bugs and minor issues don't matter. I mean, how many non-SE games can you name (available on current consoles) that are in the same class as FFIX? I'm not defending SE's laziness. I'm just saying as long as there are no alternatives people will keep buying these ports.

The music bug is an insult to Uematsu's work

Oct 25, 2017
people keep buying these shit ports so they keep using them. On Steam, at least you have modding options and a refund policy in place to protect you from SE's shitty ports (see the fiasco surrounding Chrono Trigger's Steam release). on Consoles, you gotta really be loud or else SE doesnt give a shit and keeps counting the cash.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square releases broken full priced 60$ games, an old HD remaster/port being busted is not surprising at all.

People really have short memories.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
- Aera's music starts over from the beginning at the end of each fight. You don't get to listen to a piece in its entirety unless you stay still to avoid random fights.
- There are no analog controls like in the original game. Left stick emulates a d-pad.
- Terrible input delay everywhere. At least one mini-game is unplayable because of this.
You forgot to mention the awful scaling + blur filter applied to all of the backgrounds, which makes what would otherwise be gorgeous backdrops look like utter shit.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad FF12 managed to become a great remaster and didn't receive FF10's facelift abomination. The rest I have entirely no reason to buy them, ever.

The best remaster/remake they ever did was Tactics Ogre PSP. Let's hope Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon doesn't get the bad treatment too

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Either complain enough like with Chrono Trigger on PC, or stop buying them.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
FF12 is good.

Does this FFX model update look good to you ?

He said they are good remasters as a whole, not that the face looks good in that screen shot. And you know that.

Yes, Tidus' face looks weird sometimes. But as a whole, it's a fantastic release.

Lets focus on the actual problematic re-releases Square has done, of which there are multiple.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Only 3 years? FF7 PS4 still has music bugs from the 1998 PC version! And yeah the prices they're asking on these ancient ass games they made zillions off of from Day 1, n/m rereleases, are completely wack.

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah I'm going to pass on FFIX on Switch (was looking forward to it). Seems like a lazy cash-in - the music looping and analog controls should be easy to address.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Cheap cash grabs, and they have the audacity to hit you over the head with an inflated price. Square has a lot of nerve.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
i haven't noticed the music loop yet (not very far in the Switch port) but the controller issue is really disappointing. A lot of FF9's level design feels like it's designed for full analog turning. 8-way running in these levels means rubbing up against a lot of walls and taking longer than needed to get through doorways and stuff.

It's just crazy to me that these games are truly Square's legacy, and games people want to keep playing, but they cannot for the life of them authentically reproduce them for modern platforms.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys just going to complain here or actually send an email or something to Square Enix to let them know?

Oct 26, 2017
They also need to fix up World of Final Fantasy Maxima on Switch. I've heard there's issues with the change from docked to portable mode, and tree shadows are absent despite being on all other versions including the Vita version IIRC. :(

There is the South East Asia retail release that was just delayed. Maybe they're working on a patch and the retail release there is waiting for it... I hope.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad FF12 managed to become a great remaster and didn't receive FF10's facelift abomination. The rest I have entirely no reason to buy them, ever.

The best remaster/remake they ever did was Tactics Ogre PSP. Let's hope Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon doesn't get the bad treatment too

God, I would trade an organ for a port of Tactics Ogre's remaster to Switch, so I could finally shelve my Vita.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
I have the iOS version of FF9 on my phone, and I think it is pretty damned good. I'm still debating on whether to buy this for Switch, but I guess I'm just not as demanding as others. I love the FF option, maximum damage cheats, etc. Means I don't have to grind, which I'm not really a fan of. I haven't determined yet whether to buy it on Steam via WINE for my MacBook Pro or the Nintendo Switch. On my laptop, I don't get analog either, so that's a wash. I think it will run on my laptop, which is screaming fast (it runs Ori in WINE with little issue). But playing with the actual Switch joy cons would be nice as well.

And as someone said above, nobody cares in the casual crowd - #1 on the eShop

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
They also need to fix up World of Final Fantasy Maxima on Switch. I've heard there's issues with the change from docked to portable mode, and tree shadows are absent despite being on all other versions including the Vita version IIRC. :(

There is the South East Asia retail release that was just delayed. Maybe they're working on a patch and the retail release there is waiting for it... I hope.

WoFF's two major issues — the resolution switching bug, and the OS slowdown bug — were both promptly patched.

It's a great game and the Switch version is excellent post-patch. Highly recommend.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

SE has done plenty of great remakes. The ports are the ones that get butchered. Still don't understand how a FFIX port can have more bugs than the original.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Ah shucks, I still intend to go through the game in Vita but it's kinda painful to see the slowdowns lol.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
The port's okay. The music bug is annoying and the lack of analog movement inconvenient, but neither is a deal breaker. If you want to experience FFIX for the first time (or reexperience it) you aren't doing anything wrong with this version.

What makes all of this really frustrating, though, is that SE charges a premium for these releases without offering a premium port. Considering they sold the original PS1 version for half the price on PSN, paying 21€ for a resolution bump and hacked in convenience features is somewhat of a tough pill to swallow.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The port's okay. The music bug is annoying and the lack of analog movement inconvenient, but neither is a deal breaker. If you want to experience FFIX for the first time (or reexperience it) you aren't doing anything wrong with this version.

What makes all of this really frustrating, though, is that SE charges a premium for these releases without offering a premium port. Considering they sold the original PS1 version for half the price on PSN, paying 21€ for a resolution bump and hacked in convenience features is somewhat of a tough pill to swallow.
All new character models and the HD FMVs are nice. I'd rather a $40 full widescreen remaster but I'll take what I can get

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not being able to hear most of the overworld theme (or any music piece that goes longer than 30 seconds) is indeed a dealbreaker to some people. Please don't downplay these things just because you personally don't care about them.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to hear most of the overworld theme (or any music piece that goes longer than 30 seconds) is indeed a dealbreaker to some people. Please don't downplay these things just because you personally don't care about them.
I'm obviously talking about my own opinion on the matter and I'd very much appreciate it if you return the favor and don't tell me what to think. Thanks.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
People really need to stop buying them and be vocal about why they are not buying them. If they get enough profit out of it without fixing any of the issues, then they probably will never fix them.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to buy IX for the switch, as I need a pick up and play jrpg. Once I saw the price tag it immediately went to wait for sale.

Then learning about how or still had a year's old bug just re affirmed my stance.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Square will have its Capcom moment soon and remember how to be good at making video games again...?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm obviously talking about my own opinion on the matter and I'd very much appreciate it if you return the favor and don't tell me what to think. Thanks.
Pretty lame attempt, I explicitly said "to some people" and just asked you to not speak as if it's not a big deal to anyone and everyone should just buy the thing.
I never told you what to think. Try again.

Aug 11, 2018
It's kind of unfortunate considering Final Fantasy XIII now runs at a near native 4K with original cutscenes completely done by...

The BC team at Xbox, not Square Enix.

Oct 26, 2017
WoFF's two major issues — the resolution switching bug, and the OS slowdown bug — were both promptly patched.

It's a great game and the Switch version is excellent post-patch. Highly recommend.

Ooh, you don't say? Any footage of the Switch version post-patch? When was the patch released and is it worldwide? Thanks for the heads up! :D

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, you don't say? Any footage of the Switch version post-patch? When was the patch released and is it worldwide? Thanks for the heads up! :D

Patch was put out in the month after release. It didn't have descriptive notes, and I don't think it improved the visuals, but it fixed the bugs where (1) the OS would slow to a crawl if WoFF was running in the background, and (2) the resolution wouldn't change correctly when docking the Switch with WoFF running.

Game doesn't run native 720p in handheld, but it still looks quite good (though better docked).

Oct 26, 2017
Patch was put out in the month after release. It didn't have descriptive notes, and I don't think it improved the visuals, but it fixed the bugs where (1) the OS would slow to a crawl if WoFF was running in the background, and (2) the resolution wouldn't change correctly when docking the Switch with WoFF running.

Game doesn't run native 720p in handheld, but it still looks quite good (though better docked).

Yeah I think I just read folks mention it on Reddit on Dec 10th. Also here's a vid of the beginning post-patch:

The trees still lack shadows, but maybe it's because of how the rendering may differ than how Vita did it, and the shadows might've impacted performance? If it's what let them keep the amazing lighting and effects, that's just fine.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
ps2

c0cc318bf73061519ec710726aba4a66.jpg

HD """"remaster""""

5515cabde6beb10af2f312652d37b1ff.png

What makes you think they give a fuck ?
This still makes me angry.

I refuse to buy any of this crap, I'd rather play them on their original form even if it's not as convenient.