• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ps2

c0cc318bf73061519ec710726aba4a66.jpg

HD """"remaster""""

5515cabde6beb10af2f312652d37b1ff.png

What makes you think they give a fuck ?
God, I've never played FFX before and was thinking of picking it up on Switch. This has completely put me off that now, that is just awful. Bleh!

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think I just read folks mention it on Reddit on Dec 10th. Also here's a vid of the beginning post-patch:

The trees still lack shadows, but maybe it's because of how the rendering may differ than how Vita did it, and the shadows might've impacted performance? If it's what let them keep the amazing lighting and effects, that's just fine.

Just remembered another odd issue with the Switch version of WOFFM; there's this weird audio bug where sometimes Lann makes grunts in cutscenes (like outside of the cafe at the beginning) and it's unusually loud. This seems to still be the case in the 1.01 update. Not game-breaking and I think it was one of the only places this happens going by a quick look at the video above.

Any other patches would be very welcome if it fixes that, and any graphical oddities (like the missing tree shadows if that is doable).

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Keep shouting. They eventually gave in and fixed the PC port of Chrono Trigger entirely. (The fucks didn't update the smartphone versions all the way though so those are stuck with not even managing 60 FPS and that ugly "HD" filter)

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Because people are happy to buy $20 mobile ports, though i don't think most people realise it's a buggy mobile port, even if they did, they would buy it anyway, gamers are bad consumers.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ive never played ff9 and now it's out and I can't play it properly? This is infuriating

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Started playing tonight and while I'm OK with the new font, I am NOT okay with this limited 8-way directional movement for analog. True analog movement in the original PS1 version was fantastic and it's been horribly omitted here. Really hope this is patchable because I'm really disappointed and feeling buyer's remorse :(

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Realistically if it's a case of selling 500,000 with a bare-bones port that takes 10 minutes, vs 600,000 for an extensive do-over that costs significant money, the former just makes more business sense.

I presume that's the kind of logic operating here at SE.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
So compared to the PS Classic, how is it?
Played a bit on the Vita and still early on, how does that one compare to the switch version?

Oct 27, 2017
This still makes me angry.

I refuse to buy any of this crap, I'd rather play them on their original form even if it's not as convenient.

The only perfect FF remaster between X/X-2, IX and XII is just XII. The others have some issues here and there.

FF XII remaster adds International Zodiac Job System, that never reached West, while also being graphically much more nice. They also fixed Vaan's abs texture.
Added a new reorchestrated soundtrack with the option to choose original soundtrack.
Improvements to audio quality and choice between English and Japanese dub.

Everyone should buy FF XII remaster, because not only it's the remaster of one of the best FF out there, it's also a great remaster.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
- Aera's music starts over from the beginning at the end of each fight. You don't get to listen to a piece in its entirety unless you stay still to avoid random fights.
- There are no analog controls like in the original game. Left stick emulates a d-pad.
- Terrible input delay everywhere. At least one mini-game is unplayable because of this.

What mini game is unplayable? Jump rope cause that was unplayable even without input lag :V

I hate to be a line crosser, but I can live with looping music and no analog controls. They should be patched but it's not a deal breaking issue for me.

Also doesn't this version drastically reduce the load times and speed up gameplay? I think that's a much bigger issue that was fixed.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
What mini game is unplayable? Jump rope cause that was unplayable even without input lag :V

I hate to be a line crosser, but I can live with looping music and no analog controls. They should be patched but it's not a deal breaking issue for me.

Also doesn't this version drastically reduce the load times and speed up gameplay? I think that's a much bigger issue that was fixed.

I think they mean jump rope which somehow (and it amazed me) is even more unplayable than before! i could usually do around 50 with 'some' effort and once i had the "patience" to actually do a hundred as a kid before saying screw it gamegenie! the only time since then was on the PC when i just put a macro on my mouse and let it auto win..........but the switch version? my best even when really really genuinely trying was...........8, i'd honestly like the option to just buy the card off them for the HD remake since its got cheats in

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I think this has a lot to do with the company contracted to actually do the port, the details of what that contract looks like, and the payment scheme.

To be fair, even that game, iirc, was a dumpster fire degree of garbage at release, was it not? So, the only difference there is something was actually done about the release after they shoved it out in a horrible condition.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are you guys just going to complain here or actually send an email or something to Square Enix to let them know?
I have actually emailed Square Enix.

Nothing is guaranteed, but it IS worth reaching out to them. They fixed Chrono Trigger, AND FFIX - despite still having major bugs - was vastly had its UI improved from the original release and shrunk down so it didn't take up so much space on-screen. They've applied fixes before, so stay vocal.

Square Enix support

I emailed them informing them about the soundtrack bug, the loss of analog control, and the input delay. There are still OTHER issues - like the new font, the mobile platform carryovers (why are you bringing up emojis, game?), and the subpar background filtering, but the game should at the very least play and sound as good as the original version without excuse.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I've contacted Square support too. I honestly don't think it's gonna make a difference, but hey, if there's even a 0.1% it will help and it takes 2 minutes, why not...

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've contacted Square support too. I honestly don't think it's gonna make a difference, but hey, if there's even a 0.1% it will help and it takes 2 minutes, why not...
Precisely. It only takes a quick minute to send them a direct message. We spend more time complaining about the game on sites away from their ears.

And, again, they HAVE listened sporadically in the past. Fingers crossed.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
Damn, I had noticed some problems like the analogue controls and ugly UI/font. But I hadn't noticed the music bug and the few reviews I checked out before purchasing mentioned none of these issues.

Feeling that buyers remorse now, but I've wanted to check out FF9 for years and thought the Switch version was the ideal platform for me :(

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I had noticed some problems like the analogue controls and ugly UI/font. But I hadn't noticed the music bug and the few reviews I checked out before purchasing mentioned none of these issues.

Feeling that buyers remorse now, but I've wanted to check out FF9 for years and thought the Switch version was the ideal platform for me :(
The game is still absolutely playable and still a masterpiece, play it :)

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It's because Square last the source code to most of their PS1 era games. They don't have anything better than their reverse engineered buggy PC ports

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna quadruple dip (psone discs, psone download, PS4 and then switch) but ya know... $27cdn for the same annoying problems, the same ugly cell phone game interface, the unplayable 3x speed boost that is a pain to turn on and off. Blah.

I skipped it and just started playing it on Vita/PS3 and it's been great. I got used to the slow battles and am just enjoying it.

Square did such a great job with FFXII that it sucks they won't put the same effort into their older games

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tons of public outrage. It worked for Chrono Trigger on Steam. They re-released the shitty mobile game on steam, then after being shamed the went back and basically made it more like the SNES version in terms of look, options, and UI.

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017
Personally, I would rather a lazy port than no port at all. I wish more companies would port there games as often as Sqeenix does.

I want every game ever made ported, even the bad ones.

Let's get real though. Outside the bubble, no one cares. These ports are perfectly adequate to the vast majority of people.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I have it on steam and didnt know about the muisc bug, becuase i still havent gone into a dungeon. That and the low quality backgrounds are/will bother me (and know I understand why I found bothersome the "running pressing B thing", I thought it was the same in the original but I see that was not the case), but i love how crisp everything looks apart from the backgrounds, I finally can discern that nearly every NPC in the game has wildly different designs with the new models with retextures, when i played in its hayday you could only see a bucnh of coloured pixels with the NPCs that were far from the camera.

I would have absolutely loved a full redrawn of the background in 1080p making the game all crisp and finally 16:9, but I knew sqaure enix will never do that sadly.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
This is minor nitpick next to the much more egregious bugs, but I hate how little personality the text font has now. FF9's text was probably my favorite in the series and it's boring-ass Arial or something now. I would vastly prefer the original PS1 discs with no upscaling and a scanline filter to the half-assed up-rezz we got instead.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Square did such a great job with FFXII that it sucks they won't put the same effort into their older games

Different port teams, different budgets, different scopes, etc. etc.

With that said, I sent an inquiry to Square Enix support highlighting the issues I have with the port (8-way analog movement rather than full 360 control, environmental music resets after battle, fast-forward toggle is hidden in a pause menu rather than mapped to a button). I encourage other people to do the same:

EDIT: Got a response, apparently this Switch release was handled / published by Nintendo, so they're gonna have to be the ones that need to be contacted for Support: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/index.jsp

https://support.na.square-enix.com/contacttop.php?id=13961&la=1

Last edited:

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
This is minor nitpick next to the much more egregious bugs, but I hate how little personality the text font has now. FF9's text was probably my favorite in the series and it's boring-ass Arial or something now. I would vastly prefer the original PS1 discs with no upscaling and a scanline filter to the half-assed up-rezz we got instead.
What? Hearing the same and only 10 seconds of every music is much worse than an arial font on a freaking text box.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I must be the only one who doesn't mind the new font. The old one was so low res that it doesn't look all that different from the new one.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Topics like this are a bit frustrating to me since people often ignore or give passes to other re-releases. For example, last year Capcom re-released DMC HD Collection, this time despite fixing DMC3HD's past issues, DMC1 had lots of new issues. And the collection as a whole had worse performance on PC than vanilla DMC4 and even the bad old port of DMC3SE. I can't even play DMC3HD, while broken-ass DMC3SE PC runs okay through bruteforcing and is at least playable. But the criticisms of the collection re-release came largely from a small group of DMC fans. And very little happened. To this day I haven't played more than a minute of DMC3HD on PC. I feel like when articles like this happen, it's usually too little, too late.

Last edited:

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I have it on steam and didnt know about the muisc bug, becuase i still havent gone into a dungeon. That and the low quality backgrounds are/will bother me (and know I understand why I found bothersome the "running pressing B thing", I thought it was the same in the original but I see that was not the case), but i love how crisp everything looks apart from the backgrounds, I finally can discern that nearly every NPC in the game has wildly different designs with the new models with retextures, when i played in its hayday you could only see a bucnh of coloured pixels with the NPCs that were far from the camera.

I would have absolutely loved a full redrawn of the background in 1080p making the game all crisp and finally 16:9, but I knew sqaure enix will never do that sadly.

As close as you're going to get to 'hd' backgrounds, I recommend trying this for the pc version you have: https://steamcommunity.com/app/377840/discussions/0/1741105805743188237/

PSX
nxaGL7O.jpg

Default PC Not Modded

Modded on PC
Gs7dJqS.jpg

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play FFIX on Switch (it'd be my first time!), but hearing about the bugs really stopped me in my tracks.