• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.vg247.com/2019/03/25/se...steam-launch-lagging-behind-dark-souls-3/amp/
ith every high-profile Steam launch come concurrent player number comparisons, and in this case, Sekiro appears to have had a good, albeit slightly calm, launch. Since Friday, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice went on to have a peak of 124,334 players concurrently, according to Steam Charts as well as Steam's own stats page.

Depending on the time of day, Sekiro jumped between the fourth, and fifth spots on Steam's most active games list, sitting behind giants Dota 2, PUBG, and CS:GO.

These numbers are enough to make Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice the biggest Steam launch in 2019 so far, well ahead of Devil May Cry 5, and Resident Evil 2 Remake at 88.735, and 74,024 players, respectively – the two biggest releases on PC this year thus far.
When comparing this with From Software's most recent game, we can clearly see that it's just a couple of thousands players behind Dark Souls 3. The ending to the trilogy amassed over 129,000 concurrent players at launch, only 5,000 more than Sekiro.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The phrasing of this article is exceptionally strange.

"A somewhat calm launch"

Because its concurrent was slightly behind DS3? Expecting a new IP to outsell DS3 in the first place is a very strange stance to have

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Praised be our savior Miyazaki.

CBTIkrAWAAAobE9.jpg:large

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering what legs it'll have, given the number of people saying it's soul crushing hard. I'm personally having a great time with it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's really damn good for an entirely new franchise. Dark Souls 3 has Demon's souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 out before it.

Feb 13, 2018
Thats nice, but lets be real here. It won't reach Dark Souls 3 sales ever. DS 3 has more to offer than only single player and its in the most played games list on Steam since release because of the PvP community. Also many people who bought Sekiro will never finish it because you can't summon help this time so these people will not recommend it to their friends etc

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Deserved. Haven't beat it yet but its already one of my favorites of this gen. Right up there with Bloodborne and BOTW.

Oct 25, 2017
The debate over how much Sekiro is like Souls is wearying, but there is no debate about whether it's a new IP, don't be dumb.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Hell yea, it's an amazing game. Always heartwarming to see such a relentless yet rewarding game have a sizable audience. Reinforces that high production value games don't necessarily have to make sure everyone gets through it without issues.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
It probably helps too that this game is the new Twitch hotness.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, Sekiro is a new IP and doesn't have the Souls name to carry it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is why they are rocking that Multiplatform. It must cost a lot to try and lock fromsoftware down now.

SO glad to see the game performing so well. A new IP, great performance.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i do wonder what the refund rate is. i picked it up saturday and really wasn't feeling it by the time i hit the 2 hour limit so i refunded, and given the differences from dark souls i could see that being a relatively common thing.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Just to compare the concurrent peaks with the other From games on Steam

Dark Souls PTD = 11k
Dark Souls remastered = 24k
Dark Souls 2 = 79k
Dark Souls 2 SotFS = 12k
Dark Souls 3 = 129k

Sekiro = 125k

The souls trilogy sold about 10 million before Steamspy stopped being reliable. Each of the games doing around 3 million in sales. So Sekiro will most likely do the same lifetime.

JulesLove

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to compare the concurrent peaks with the other From games on Steam

Dark Souls PTD = 11k
Dark Souls remastered = 24k
Dark Souls 2 = 79k
Dark Souls 2 SotFS = 12k
Dark Souls 3 = 129k

Sekiro = 125k

The souls trilogy sold about 10 million before Steamspy stopped being reliable. Each of the games doing around 3 million in sales. So Sekiro will most likely do the same lifetime.
Activision games don't go on regular sales though

Rex Prime

Jul 29, 2018
I agree with Muffin to be honest. The way the game was marketed was primarily as "from the developers of Bloodborne and Dark Souls". Its a new I.P but for marketing purposes the main sell behind the game was "its the next FromSoft Souls-like game" and that is the basis of its sales. If any other dev name was attached to this game it would not sell nearly as much, but it was advertised as a game that any Souls fan should buy and I think you will see that easily in the population of people who bought or have interest in Sekiro.

tl;dr regardless of new IP or not the fact that this is From Software's next game was the selling point and it was marketed as such

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
That's really good!
I wonder what the long term reception will look like though, or if there will be any push back.
I'm not trying to downplay this success at all, I love the game. But looking at the general reception has been fascinating. It seems more divisive than From's previous games. I know I was super angry with it at first :P

Gparan

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Good for From that it seems to sell well, I skipped it and will probably never buy it because I know I wont like it. Hopefully for From this will turn in to a new successful franchise for them.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Great success. And for it being a single player only title and a new IP. I hope they decided to do at least one DLC expansion, would love more areas and crazy bosses.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
New IP sells similarly to the third entry of a beloved franchise

Claims it's a calm/muted launch. Okay.gif
It's as much a "new IP" as Dark Souls was (AKA, not at all). It was absolutely sold as the sequel to Dark Souls 3.

I do agree that it's a great start though!
What planet are you from
i do wonder what the refund rate is. i picked it up saturday and really wasn't feeling it by the time i hit the 2 hour limit so i refunded, and given the differences from dark souls i could see that being a relatively common thing.
Likely significantly less than 10%. Probably not much more than the average refund rate of a typical From game.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty damn impressive since Dark souls had a massive following with the third iteration. Fingers crossed for sekiro 2.