• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Analysis: 2,000 digital-only games will disappear when PlayStation closes its stores.
Many titles will be lost for good and others will become Xbox exclusives, VGC analysis shows.

Although users will still be able to redownload their previous purchases for the foreseeable future, from July 2 it will no longer be possible to buy games on the PS3 or PSP online marketplaces, and come August 27 the same will apply to the Vita too.

Of the games set to disappear from the formats, the vast majority are available on other platforms such as older PlayStation consoles or PC. However, around 120 games will essentially become lost forever once the stores close, our analysis suggests.

Some titles will essentially become Xbox console exclusives, such as Beyond Good & Evil HD, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and both Bionic Commando games.

In total, around 2,200 digital-only games will disappear after the stores close, including:
  • Around 630 digital-only Vita games
  • Around 730 digital-only PS3 (PSN) games
  • A small number of digital-only PSP games
  • 293 PlayStation Minis
  • 336 PS2 Classics
  • Around 260 PS1 Classics (particularly on PSP and Vita)

In terms of general preservation, the vast majority of the digital-only PlayStation games were also released on other systems – many were released on Xbox 360 or PC and others were re-released on PS4, while some of the handheld titles were also released on mobile.

Obviously, the physical disc versions of the PS2 Classics can also still be played on PS2 consoles. As such, while these games will disappear from PSP, Vita and PS3, they can't truly be considered 'lost' because they'll still be available in some form (albeit no longer on every format).

There are, however, around 120 games that were exclusive to the PS3, Vita and/or PSP that will essentially become lost forever once the stores close. These include the likes of Infamous: Festival of Blood, Echochrome II, Lumines Supernova, The Last Guy, Rain, Trash Panic, Pain, PixelJunk Racers, Tokyo Jungle, TxK and MotorStorm RC.

The Xbox brand has been extolling the virtues of backwards compatibility for some time now, and the upcoming store closures will also have something of a positive impact on how the Xbox library is perceived. As soon as the store closes, a number of games that were previously multi-format will automatically become Xbox console exclusives.

The likes of Beyond Good & Evil HD, Rayman 3 HD, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate HD, SoulCalibur II HD Online, Resident Evil Code: Veronica X, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and both Bionic Commando games will soon only be available to purchase on Microsoft's consoles.

The biggest third-party company affected by this by far will be Sega, who went through a spell releasing HD versions of a number of its past games on both Xbox Live Arcade and PSN. Almost all of these will become Xbox exclusives overnight.

HD versions of Sega titles like Daytona USA, Fighting Vipers, Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS Into Dreams, both Sonic Adventure games, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic CD, Virtua Fighter 2, Sonic CD and Space Channel 5 Part 2 will all soon only be available to buy on Xbox consoles (and PC).

It isn't just Xbox owners who will have something new to boast about: lightgun games Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles and Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronices will go back to being Wii exclusives too, since both were only released digitally on PS3.

More here

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't just Xbox owners who will have something new to boast about: lightgun games Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles and Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronices will go back to being Wii exclusives too, since both were only released digitally on PS3.
Poor Wii, there was a collection of both games on the PS3 so it isn't getting exclusives.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
This is why I've chosen not to invest in PlayStation digital purchases this gen. Sony making some poor moves out the gate here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
These games will not be lost for good since people who already bought them can still download them tho?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

It's very convenient he's stayed away from any interviews

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Isn't Metal Gear Solid technically about to be lost forever?

Wait, I guess not if you have the PS1 disc, but that will soon be the ONLY way to buy that game, which is incredibly wild to me.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Terrible news. I hope sony offers some other way to access these games. They're really making a bad move here.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite livid about this, still.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that these stores will all cease to exist at some point, but for the time being this just provides further incentive for me to choose other platforms when I can. I continue to applaud Microsoft's support of older games, and that's where I'll be making all my digital purchases when I can help it.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I've chosen not to invest in PlayStation digital purchases this gen. Sony making some poor moves out the gate here.
The fact that you chose not to invest in them doesn't change the fact that they'll no longer available. Physical evangelists keep missing the point - the issue here is very much about the digital-only games being lost and the issue that creates for preservation (though this will drive up the price of physical and drive down availability).

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
These games will not be lost for good since people who already bought them can still download them tho?
if you have no way for curious people to access them there lost. its not just about people who already own them. we can access most old movies and music we shouldnt treat gaming any differently

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Isn't Metal Gear Solid technically about to be lost forever?

Wait, I guess not if you have the PS1 disc, but that will soon be the ONLY way to buy that game, which is incredibly wild to me.
4, yes. (still available thru PS Now)

1 and 2 were re-released on GOG last year.

1-3 are available on Xbox BC, I believe.

edit: we need a comprehensive list of titles that are gonna be affected by this, and where else they might be available.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Analysis: 2,000 digital-only games will disappear when PlayStation closes its stores.
Many titles will be lost for good and others will become Xbox exclusives, VGC analysis shows.

I'm going to call this list out as questionable. Why are "336 PS2 classics" and "260 Ps1 classics" counted as digital only titles that will be lost forever, when every single PS2 and PS1 game ever made exists on disc?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yea, losing some of those for purchase will suck.

I do want to point out that VGC is wrong about RE: Code Veronica X. You can buy the PS4 version which works on PS5. The PS4 version was one of Sony's PS2 to PS4 ports.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to call this list out as questionable. Why are "336 PS2 classics" and "260 Ps1 classics" counted as digital only titles that will be lost forever, when every single PS2 and PS1 game ever made exists on disc?
majority of ps3 consoles sold cannot play ps2 BC, only ps1. so there is a cutoff unless you have a ps2
sony also sells them right now. they haven't released a ps2 physical game in ages

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Honestly,

It's kind of on publishers if your argument is about preservation. Old movies and music only continue to exist on modern storefronts because publishers either buy the rights or retain the rights. I kind of don't see how this is on Sony for shutting their store down. We didn't blame Borders for closing its stores...

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Only for as long as those consoles continue to work. Once your PS3 dies, if you can't fix it or find another one, you'll never be able to play those games again. Not really an issue now but these consoles have been discontinued, so every PS3 that breaks down is one less PS3 in the world - and the fewer there are, the more expensive they'll become.

At least with Xbox you can just buy the newest console and all those games will still be there for you to download.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Although not a crime in the legality sense, this is a moral crime for video game preservation. At least make these available on PS4/PS5. I get the vita has some limitations around touch screen/touchpad input, but there is no excuse for 95% of the other games.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
not sure why you are suggesting people to spend money on a platform on the verge of being thanos-snap. If anything else, shouldn't they avoid said platform even more?
Buy them and you will keep them forever. Or don't buy them and you will still have access to them thanks to damn dirty criminal pirates!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I keep inching closer and closer to just moving over to my Series X as my main platform, this kind of shit from Sony just keeps happening, and it's quite obvious Jim Ryan couldn't care less. Trophies and friends not moving away from PS are the only things basically keeping me from just using my PS5 as an exclusives machine, but even those are starting to not be enough.

I will say I don't agree with the whole these are now exclusive on other platform wording though since as long as Sony doesn't stop the ability to download anything I and any other person that purchased them can still play them on those PS devices but anyone new not being able to sucks tremendously.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Wonder how long until people can't re download. I give it less than 5 years.

Honestly,

It's kind of on publishers if your argument is about preservation. Old movies and music only continue to exist on modern storefronts because publishers either buy the rights or retain the rights. I kind of don't see how this is on Sony for shutting their store down. We didn't blame Borders for closing its stores...

Movies work by playing a video file and are not very comparable to games

On top of that, what about the games where Sony is the publisher?

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I hope this backfires tremendously.
But it won't. Fanboys will defend them like their lives depend on it and the casuals won't care.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Only for as long as those consoles continue to work. Once your PS3 dies, if you can't fix it or find another one, you'll never be able to play those games again. Not really an issue now but these consoles have been discontinued, so every PS3 that breaks down is one less PS3 in the world - and the fewer there are, the more expensive they'll become.

At least with Xbox you can just buy the newest console and all those games will still be there for you to download.
I mean that was true regardless if Sony discontinued the store or not?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly,

sony is the largest publisher for the system and owns the console for that matter. if sony doesn't lead, no one will follow. MS has showed this by doing work for 3rd party game BC

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
People not being able to buy Trash panic is an outrage.