• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
SOL-CRESTA_keyvisual_220123-1-1280x720.jpg

Inaba-san, you recently said that now that you're CEO you'd like Platinum to return to its roots, focusing more on original games. Could you elaborate on what you meant exactly? Have you been disappointed with recent titles in terms of originality?

Inaba:
I wouldn't say the comments originated from any kind of frustration or anything that we've had with any of our recent titles. It's more just, when I think of how we've grown as a company, usually you take all that experience of how it's built and changed you. But I just want to forget all of that for a second.

For me and my time as president, what's most important is that I remember what we started this company wanting to do: original gameplay, original fun. That was the base of the company. And so, I just want us to focus on that 200%. I just want that to be the key thing that we're focusing on. That comment is just about, 'let's change gears to focus on that more than anything'.

Would you say the company has been too concerned about risk?

Inaba:
I would say definitely yes, there has been in the past. What I'm trying to say now is not about turning 180-degrees to where we don't even think this is a job and do whatever we feel like. This is a business at the end of the day. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want to be making decisions that I'm going to regret when I look back, right?

There are always going to be some decisions that are going to be hard to make and I don't think that's something that you can completely remove from the equation. But I do think that, If I see an idea that we're thinking about or if something didn't work, if in my mind I support it, then I want to be able to go through with it and not regret it.

The same Japanese interview seemed to suggest that you want to place more focus on live service games, when you said you wanted users to be able to 'enjoy games for longer'. Could you elaborate on those comments?

Inaba:
I can't really elaborate further on what I said in that interview. I want people to be able to enjoy our games for longer. I think that has many meanings. For example, losing a game to a system that stops getting updated when new consoles come out is something that I've always felt is unfortunate. So, it has that meaning in there: finding ways to beat that.

And regarding live service games, it's not something I'm going to confirm or dismiss. I think it's something that we'll be able to discuss more openly when we're able to talk about Project GG more, which I look forward to doing some time in the near future.

Should fans of your past games be concerned that you're about to drastically shift focus?

Inaba:
I think both Kamiya and I would say that we have lots of different ideas for things that we want to do regarding online and multiplayer. We both think that's a fun concept and we want to explore that more. But at the same time, we don't want it to be taken as a message that we're abandoning games similar to what we would've made up until now. If we have an interesting idea, I don't think that there's any reason that we would say, 'no, we don't do that anymore, we're done with that'. So, we're interested in both ways.

Kamiya: I think in terms of the expectations of fans in relation to linear action games like NieR and Bayonetta, we understand that we do get some respect for the action games that we've created, and we're always happy to hear that. But we don't want to be labelled as 'the action game company', we want to be labelled as a company that is interested in original, fun gameplay.

Something like Sol Cresta isn't this black sheep, where it's totally different… it still feels like part of the family because at the end of the day, we feel that it's an original, fun thing that we wanted to do. I hope that with the things that we do in the future that philosophy will become more apparent to our fans.

NFT and blockchain have become a popular trend among corporations. What's Platinum's interest, if any?

Inaba:
We haven't really been thinking about that. I understand it's a hot topic right now and it's really starting to gain momentum, but the way that it's gained momentum has been focused on profitability for the company, but with no positive impact on the creators or the users in any sense. So that's frustrating to see happening.

The people who are trying to promote NFTs and partner with gaming companies, their conversations seem extremely one-sided. 'Hey, you're going to make money!' But how does it benefit the user or the creator? If I want to spend my time on something, I want it to benefit making good games.

As content gets more and more digital, I do think that NFT as a concept will gain more importance, but I think that the early adopters are just seeing it as a way to profit as much as possible. That's not something I'm interested in being part of, to be honest.

A lot more on the full interview below.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Interview: PlatinumGames doesn’t want to be known as ‘just the action game company’ | VGC

The Bayonetta studio’s newly-promoted president and vice president discuss service games, NFTs…

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if they started making games that aren't just "Bayonetta, but with [insert gimmick here]" again.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just waiting for them to release a good game again. Otherwise I think their output has been miserable as of late, and asking fans to fund a remaster through kickstarter is still not sitting right by me. I don't think they have done anything that justifies how they exploit the love and money that fans send to them 🤷

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
They are looking for a buyout because they are tired of the niche action games not selling and also always hunting for finance.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I think they are on the verge of implosion and are actively looking for investor/buyout.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
"Kamiya: Not really. If it smells like money, Konami's going to be there in a heartbeat!"

LMAO

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if they started making games that aren't just "Bayonetta, but with [insert gimmick here]" again.

What was the last game they made that you'd consider to not be that?

The only thing I'm coming up with is The Wonderful 101 AKA the most Kamiya game that ever Kamiya'd and that was... not their best seller.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The only thing I'm coming up with is The Wonderful 101 AKA the most Kamiya game that ever Kamiya'd and that was... not their best seller.

Honestly, Infinite Space probably.

The Wonderful 101 still had plenty of Bayonetta DNA in there.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think they are on the verge of implosion and are actively looking for investor/buyout.
Yep, I can't think of the last time a company was being this public about wanting to be bought and was actually bought as opposed to imploding. If there were people interested in buying those discussions would be happening behind the scenes.

Oct 31, 2017
Why leave out the rest of the quote

"we want to be labelled as a company that is interested in original, fun gameplay."

In context it makes sense. Fun gameplay that happens to be action oriented? Please go all out.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017

Starfox Zero (i liked it, i think they could make a great arcade shooter with more traditional controls, too. would likely flop as well though)

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
That's a lot of text to say nothing. He couldn't even comment on things he said in an other interview. What was the point of this interview?!?
The people who are trying to promote NFTs and partner with gaming companies, their conversations seem extremely one-sided. 'Hey, you're going to make money!' But how does it benefit the user or the creator? If I want to spend my time on something, I want it to benefit making good games.
At least it's interesting (while not surprising of course) to officially confirmed that's what happened behind the scenes.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
With all due respect, they don't really do anything else well. Their art and level design are pretty sub-par, their storytelling is generally nonsense, and their games are way behind the curve in terms of tech and presentation. They do write good one-liners and have good cutscene direction, but I almost consider that part of the "action" package in some way.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice that they want these things, but the ask for creative autonomy should they be purchased and the desire to distance yourself from your own history while having nothing to show for it. Well, that's a weird combo!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting for them to release a good game again. Otherwise I think their output has been miserable as of late, and asking fans to fund a remaster through kickstarter is still not sitting right by me. I don't think they have done anything that justifies how they exploit the love and money that fans send to them 🤷

They did in 2017 with Nier Automata and Astral Chain in 2019.
As for "asking fans to fund a remaster", people basically paid for a game they got. I don't see the problem with that and how that is "exploiting the love and money".

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they didn't get much new contrats recently? I really hope Nintendo asked for Astral Chain 2 though.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Infinite Space probably.

The Wonderful 101 still had plenty of Bayonetta DNA in there.

I feel like there's a difference between something sharing some DNA and being a clone with a gimmick. Like NieR Automata is just straight-up Bayo lite and Astral Chain is NieR Automata with a bad story and stands but if W101 counts then I'd be hard pressed to find an action game that wasn't a Bayo clone.

Starfox Zero (i liked it, i think they could make a great arcade shooter with more traditional controls, too. would likely flop as well though)

It'd probably be sacrilege to a lot of Treasure fans but I think I'd trust them to take a stab at a Sin & Punishment 3.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Shame, because they aren't making enough action games and there aren't many devs that are able to.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
the interview makes that clear. they are jealous of other companies getting acquired but keeping a lot of independency to make what they want. they are tried of begging companies like nintendo or square to greenlight one of their pitches so they can stay afloat.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're small enough that a non-Japanese company could actually buy them?

They are. The question is whether any major company would want them. I maintain that Sony has no established relationship with them of any kind to mine for a potential buyout, and Microsoft probably doesn't need a studio that's facing such a stark, progressive decline over the years.

If anyone gets Platinum, I expect it to be Tencent or NetEase.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I think they're preparing in advance for Babylon's Fall flopping hard.
The fall of Babylon's Fall is depressing. The initial showing of the game looked kind of interesting. Then they did that whole weird filter and crappy looking gameplay with the GAAS re-reveal and it was pretty much just dead then and there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The fall of Babylon's Fall is depressing. The initial showing of the game looked kind of interesting. Then they did that whole weird filter and crappy looking gameplay with the GAAS re-reveal and it was pretty much just dead then and there.

I remember when the original announcement trailer happened and it looked like we might be playing as the giant knight robots. I was actually moderately excited then.

Then it turned into a co-op game starring generic prettyboys and I just completely stopped paying attention. They invited me to two of the betas and I forgot to sign into BOTH.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Seems like every other day there's a Platinum headline. Looks like they're begging for a buyout