• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.videogameschronicle.com

Konami is set to revive Metal Gear, Castlevania and Silent Hill | VGC

The Japanese publisher will reveal major projects after a period of relative quiet…

However, following a restructure to the company's game development divisions earlier this year, Konami is now focused on bringing back its biggest brands to the premium games space, VGC was told.

The first of these titles will be a new Castlevania game, which sources described as a "reimagining" of the series currently in development internally at Konami in Japan, with support from local external studios.

There's been much speculation that Demon's Souls studio Bluepoint could be working on a remake of Metal Gear Solid. However, VGC was told the series is actually being worked on by an external studio based in China.

The remake project is currently in early development and multiple sources suggested it would be centred around fan-favourite entry Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, rather than the original MGS.

Konami also intends to release remasters of the original Metal Gear Solid games for modern consoles, ahead of the larger project, we understand.

Finally, multiple Silent Hill games are currently in development at various external development studios, as per an earlier VGC report from February.

One of these projects was outsourced to a prominent Japanese developer earlier this year, we were told.

Konami should publicly showcase its plans at major shows next year, disruption from the pandemic permitting. Konami pulled out of this year's E3 2021 show due to "timing" issues, although at the time it confirmed it had "a number of key projects" in the works.

In short:
Konami restructured earlier this year to develop premium games.
first project is internally developed castlevania which is a reimagining.
A chinese studio Virtuous which is based in Singapore is developing an MGS 3 remake is at an early development, remasters coming as well.
Multiple Silent Hill games in development, one of them is by a prominent Japanese studio.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Gritting my teeth and closing my eyes and just hoping these are decent. I can't imagine why you'd want to reimagine Castlevania after how quickly the Lords of Shadow reimagining cratered and basically made the franchise dormant for a decade.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to result in a lot of bad games. Konami doesn't have the killer instinct anymore, and games like MGS should probably stay dead rather than being trotted around to outsourcing studios.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Chinese MGS3 huh, that's very interesting.

I'm sure we'll see more games handled by Chinese studios soon, they're growing a lot.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I wouldn't be surprised at this point. Konami missin out on money.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
And with that, we can finally put Bluepoint Metal Gear to rest.

Not that there was any reason to believe it in the first place. Makes sense to put those MGS3 Pachinko assets to use in a game.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I literally cannot think of a "prominent" japanese studio that could handle SH, excluding Capcom that would not make much sense and Kojima for abvious reasons

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna remain super sceptical of a Konami Castlevania reimagining.

I've never liked any other time they've tried to reimagine what Castlevania is (64, Lords of Shadow, etc)

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Caution at maximum here, modern Konami does not spark confidence. Feel bad for that Chinese studio, they will be blasted to oblivion for any small misstep.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory generalisations.
A Chinese studio remaking MGS3??? lololol

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
User Banned (1 Month): Sinophobia
MGS3 remake by chinese studio is the literal definition of monkey paw shit

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
Let From Software make a truly gothic Castlevania game
Let Bluepoint make MGS1 and MGS3 remasters
Let Kojima Studios make/continue with P.T/Silent Hill

Profit?

It´s nice to dream sometimes.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Konami, please promise me this, if the Castlevania reimaging by your in-house people fails, could you please, PLEASE just license it out to IGA?

And i hope the reimaging is at least multiplatform.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Konami does not give a fuck. They haven't given a fuck in years. I'll be surprised if these turn out well.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Also can we please get MGS4 ported to something at least? It deserves better then being stuck on the PS3.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Super interesting that they're going straight to MGS3. You would have thought if this is their "reset point", it'd make sense to start at 1 and go from there.

Also, I guess we're going to get a lot people going "China lol" in this thread? Seems to have started already and its disappointing to see.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have zero confidence in the company at this point. I don't even trust them to put something out of Lords of Shadow 2 quality.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I literally cannot think of a "prominent" japanese studio that could handle SH, excluding Capcom that would not make much sense and Kojima for abvious reasons
Koei Tecmo, but they have Fatal Frame.

I'm going to guess Virtuos is doing the remake just because they're big and very capable + it seems like the natural next step for them (I'm pretty sure they wanted to evolve past just remasters and development support).

Overall, not very interested in basically all of this.

EDIT: Wait, while Virtuos was founded in China, they're headquartered in Singapore, so I guess they don't count?

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just want to be able to play all the MGS games on a modern console. MGS3 remake sounds cool though

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Weren't china behind the espionage in the MGS3 story? 😂 (Referring to the Eva character)

usyk

Oct 28, 2017
Latest games by China's company's look great, so i have belief that MGS remake will be cool