• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
www.videogameschronicle.com

Mark Cerny’s new patent could reveal plans to ‘accelerate’ ray-tracing on PS5 | VGC

A new patent describes a method of improving performance when ray-tracing is enabled…

The patent describes a system that uses shader processors to shorten rays, thus increasing overall performance when ray-tracing is turned on.

"The [described] processing strategy may result in a significant improvement of ray tracing speed, as the shader program is only performing hit testing," the patent reads.

Screenshot-2022-02-26-122146-480x302.jpg

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
This Patent describes hardware not in the ps5 - it will not improve ps5 performance as it is describing an RT unit like Intel or NV have which ps5 and AMD do not have in any released hardware. This is for a future Playstation iteration probably.

firen

Oct 25, 2017
This Patent describes hardware not in the ps5 - it will not improve ps5 performance as it is describing an RT unit like Intel or NV have which ps5 and AMD do not have in any released hardware. This is for a future Playstation iteration probably.

Welp, glad this was answered so quickly.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Ah so this is evidence that Sony is starting the very early stages on making the next PlayStation.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Lol there was a thread a few days ago wondering if Sony is working on PS6 yet. Might be your answer?!

Or PS5 Pro?

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol there was a thread a few days ago wondering if Sony is working on PS6 yet. Might be your answer?!

Or PS5 Pro?

It would be silly to think Sony, MS or Nintendo aren't already looking at their next consoles in some degree (particularly Nintendo since they're sort of "off-cycle," if that's even a thing any more.

I dunno about a PS5 Pro/XSX-2 or whatever this gen. The chip shortage would likely make this extremely difficult.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
It would be silly to think Sony, MS or Nintendo aren't already looking at their next consoles in some degree (particularly Nintendo since they're sort of "off-cycle," if that's even a thing any more.

I dunno about a PS5 Pro/XSX-2 or whatever this gen. The chip shortage would likely make this extremely difficult.
Agreed, these companies have to have plans in place for their successor consoles. Same with a mid gen refresh. The shortages are just so severe.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the lack of sufficient scaling and rapidly increasing costs are gonna make Pro models difficult. there's 5nm, but some industry folks are saying cost scaling has slowed to a standstill

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I personally believe this gen is going to last a long time, at least 10 years. I can totally see a PS5 Pro in 2025/2026.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
A Series Z / PS5 Pro with beefy custom RDNA 3 GPUs with a ton of hardware accelerated RT capability would be nice to see.

While the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were marketed as "4K" machines, a PS5 Pro and new Xbox could be positioned as being built for ray-tracing.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
A Series Z / PS5 Pro with beefy custom RDNA 3 GPUs with a ton of hardware accelerated RT capability would be nice to see.

While the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were marketed as "4K" machines, a PS5 Pro and new Xbox could be positioned as being built for ray-tracing.
Personally think it would be a lot easier to showcase through marketing than 4K.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
I hope they are implementing a DLSS like feature as well, which is way more important imo than ray tracing to future consoles.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Haven't really kept up but can someone inform me why all these patents always show up for mark cerny for PS HW stuff but I've never heard anything like that for Nintendo or Xbox? Do they not patent anything or is this just a case of people posting things that mark patents.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
In pictures it would, but dont think it gets any easier than "you just spent $$ on a 4k TV, this console let's you take advantage of it".
Yeah definitely, the images can be a huge difference though. Like the image below sells itself if it has a PS5 icon on the top and PS5 Pro icon on the bottom.
VH9Nls3KCXVu7vrLRta2YPK_IfSaBxjH0XOZGGLsppU.jpg

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't really kept up but can someone inform me why all these patents always show up for mark cerny for PS HW stuff but I've never heard anything like that for Nintendo or Xbox? Do they not patent anything or is this just a case of people posting things that mark patents.
At least in the case of XBox you'll see it in patents for DirectX but typically they'll assist AMD and Nvidia and let their engineers take credit. It's part of why they waited til RDNA2 was fully complete before finalizing their GPU as a lot of those features have software support in DX12U and were researched and planned by MS.

Oct 27, 2017
They have their own number of patents. We got Nintendo ones for the supplemental computing device that people thought was a Switch dock with HW and one for the BOTW2 ground traveling feature. And way back for a controller with haptics/that creates physical buttons pre Switch

It's more people here seem to look out for Cerny patents

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Really hope that a PS5 pro/Series X Pro is in development as unlikely as it may be

OP
OP
nolifebr

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Gotta say that I'm hoping for no enhanced consoles this gen. Chip-shortage/pandemic "delayed" the generation by at least 2 years.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
At least in the case of XBox you'll see it in patents for DirectX but typically they'll assist AMD and Nvidia and let their engineers take credit. It's part of why they waited til RDNA2 was fully complete before finalizing their GPU as a lot of those features have software support in DX12U and were researched and planned by MS.
They have their own number of patents. We got Nintendo ones for the supplemental computing device that people thought was a Switch dock with HW and one for the BOTW2 ground traveling feature. And way back for a controller with haptics/that creates physical buttons pre Switch

It's more people here seem to look out for Cerny patents

ah ok thanks for that! Interesting stuff, this stuff is probs for PS6 so a while to go before we see it but cool to see.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Gotta say that I'm hoping for no enhanced consoles this gen. Chip-shortage/pandemic "delayed" the generation by at least 2 years.
I'm in a similar boat. I dutifully upgraded both my base consoles to the One X and PS4 Pro but the base consoles were so lacking out the gate that I felt it was worth it. Not sure I'm that interested in doing the same this time round and I'm also not sure the AMD APUs currently available (or will be available by mid-gen) will be significantly better than what the consoles already have in them that it'd be worth having 5 SKUs on the market again within such a short time.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mark Cerny has more name recognition

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
I really hope they're working on a ps5 pro that could release around 2025. I don't want to play on ps5 until the end of the decade. The console is already struggling..

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019

Based on the fact that you can't have native 4k/60fps on most games. Dying light 2 on ps5 is 1080p/60fps and horizon 2 has crazy shimmering at 60fps. Elden ring while being poor technically can't maintain 60fps and the list goes on and on.
Not to mention Ray tracing.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So if this is not for base PS5, then there must be a pro out there then... A Pro system that can over come the limitations of current AMD ray tracing would be nice.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure we'll see devs come up with creative ways to improve the ray tracing performance across consoles and PC as the gen progresses.

Interesting to see where it could go in future hardware iterations.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
A PS5 Pro that has a bigger HD, smaller form factor and improved RT performance would be perfect.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Based on the fact that you can't have native 4k/60fps on most games. Dying light 2 on ps5 is 1080p/60fps and horizon 2 has crazy shimmering at 60fps. Elden ring while being poor technically can't maintain 60fps and the list goes on and on.
Not to mention Ray tracing.
You can't have native 4K|60fps in most games even on the most high end GPUs, so that has really nothing to do with the "lack of power" of the PS5, like you're claiming. The games you've listed also have nothing to do with the console itself, and more to do with the games/engines. Do share with us this list that apparently goes "on and on" as well.

The only major thing that the PS5, and indeed the Series X aren't good at, is ray tracing, which is what this apparent patent hopes to one day remedy. Otherwise, these are the most capable and balanced consoles that we've ever seen.

I don't even own a PS5 nor SX, but this take is just a teeny bit ridiculous.