• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Stressing the need for video games to bring joy at a time when "there is more despair in the world," Spencer stated that the onus is on business leaders to ensure players receive this joy instead of experiencing more negativity.

"Today, as creators, as leaders, as world builders, our greatest responsibility is to inspire and invite joy," Spencer said. "Each one of the hundreds of titles that players have at their fingertips today and tomorrow is a calling card for joy.

"Halo, God of War, Vampire Survivors, Peppa Pig – big games, small games, mobile games indie games – each one is designed to deliver an infusion of joy in the midst of our lives, to give us so much joy people want to talk about it, to share it.

"Our creators who bravely and intentionally release their visions to the world, particularly in the current culture of criticism and cancellation. Our players who bravely and intentionally carve out time for our games to invite, rest and rejuvenate their lives.

"To seek and surround ourselves with a multitude of perspectives. To honour our differences across experiences and geographies, and to practice empathy when intentionally listening to others.

"We turn away from dividing players and creators, and instead towards each other, as we advance and amplify joy together. This is the echo effect of gaming joy."

---

This was at the 12th annual New York Game Awards on Tuesday, and Phil Spencer accepted the Andrew Yoon Memorial Legend Award. Video of his introduction from Reggie Fils-Aime and his speech in the timestamped vid below.

View: https://youtu.be/YSTPl-toxM4?t=7516

Source

Oct 27, 2017
Says this then does the opposite.

What message does that send comrade phil?

Sigh they keep shooting themselves in the foot. Shame.

Edit: Didn't even notice the cancellation comment... man wtf is this... do better ffs

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Unsure of his intentions really but off the headline alone that sounds like an awful statement to make

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Reckon we should be calm and reasonable before jumping to conclusions here 🚶‍♂️

Dunno if cancellation is the right word but the relationship between developers and consumers seems strenuous nowadays. I don't think the responsibility is on the devs to fix it, though. I feel instances of rightful criticism ends up morphing into outright hate towards game developers and has only really intensified as the years have gone by.

You've seen it with Halo and 343 in particular but this almost feels like an industry-wide thing with a few exceptions (FFXIV). Sit in a subreddit for any given popular multiplayer game and you'll see just how common inflammatory rhetoric directed at devs are. I'm reminded of the early days of Motive showing off the Dead Space remake too. That's my interpretation of what he meant but maybe I'm way off the mark.

Last edited:

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We must not divide ourselves from bigots, racists, sexists and transphobes, because we want their money, too!

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
erik-killmonger.gif

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao really excited for when he declares the FTC is too woke for blocking their acquisitions.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Considering Microsoft wants to buy ABK, this checks out.

"Guys stop cancelling the people at the companies we want to buyyyy"

Jul 2, 2021
"Our creators who bravely and intentionally release their visions to the world, particularly in the current culture of criticism and cancellation. Our players who bravely and intentionally carve out time for our games to invite, rest and rejuvenate their lives.

To seek and surround ourselves with a multitude of perspectives. To honour our differences across experiences and geographies, and to practice empathy when intentionally listening to others."
DazzlingPeriodicGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah... What?

It'd be nice if he gave some hard examples because otherwise I genuinely don't know what he's saying. Which is par for the course when it comes to acceptance speeches; They're either incredibly milquetoast or incredibly volatile.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh. Yikes. I'm honestly not sure what he was trying to say but that sounds all kinds of wrong.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand what he is trying to say here lmao, also a weird thing for him to say given he isn't shy about his political beliefs.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
What is he talking about, bro.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who laments cancel culture is a loser. Cmon dude. What a bizarre statement all around.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
Microsoft is about to cancel a lot of jobs, so this fear of the cancel culture is probably true to some extent.

Otherwise, he said a ton of words and absolutely nothing at the same time, just like any other acceptance speech.

Oct 27, 2017
Now idk if he meant it like that but i get now why companies like Nintendo dont have thier execs speaking every month about stuff. Sometimes its best to just shut up

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Fuck this shit. Sounds like the stuff a cult leader would be spouting, absolutely ridiculous.

Guy works for Microsoft but wants to sound like a revolutionary.