• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation-Plus-Video-Pass-768x432.jpg

Sony could be set to roll movie and television content into PlayStation Plus subscriptions, according to content briefly uploaded to its website.

A logo for 'PlayStation Plus Video Pass' was published on Sony's official website today, along with the following description on its Polish website (now removed):

"A new benefit available for a limited time on PlayStation Plus… PS Plus Video Pass is a trial service active 22.04.21 – 22.04.22. The subscription benefit is available to PS Plus users".

unknown.png

It could be that the platform holder is looking to increase the value of its paid subscription service, in the midst of strong competition from Xbox Game Pass.

Recently the company launched initiatives that could be viewed as moves to counter the popularity of Game Pass.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Sony looks set to announce ‘PlayStation Plus Video Pass’ | VGC

Website listing suggests Sony could offer video content as part of subscriptions…

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Coincides nicely with the killing of PS TV and the shuttering of the movie/tv stores

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Not a bad addition, I'd be curious to see if they'd be willing to do day one theatrical releases digitally with discount for ps+ later too.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if this would be for funimation and ultimately crunchyroll combined service.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, this would do nothing for me. As a value add to PS Plus, fine, but I'm subbing to their service for games, not the limited amount of Sony pictures content or whatever they would offer. There are already endless numbers of services to fulfill that need.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
This won't go well.

They should know to keep it to games. But guess we'll see how it works before passing final judgement.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Nice added benefit depending on the content, but I can't see this being the "counterpunch" to Gamepass.

Oct 30, 2017
Any added benefit to PS+ is fine.

I hope they're laying the groundwork for a higher tier service which allows things like this and more expansive game offerings.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Cant wait for the inevitable confusion of "spiderman/demon slayer coming to ps plus!" "wow the games?" "no the movie/anime"

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Fine if it's free with PS+ but I can't see it being a huge success with gamers if, after this trial, it was a premium sub on top of also needing PS+.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
They really keep trying to include music and videos in the PlayStation brand. I think none had ever success or?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it'd watch media through the PS4/PS5's native stuff, but if they've partnered with some streaming service, I'm down.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a bad idea in principal but oof at those headliners lol. And I say that as someone that kinda likes Venom even.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Nice!
Sony Picturs and anime are a big part of their business, I'm glad to see a better integration

I just hope this is an added benefit to the existing subscription and not something to pay more

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
God I miss Vue
Please focus on games like gamepass instead of tv or movies
If you saw some of those marketing deal docs from the capcom leak, they def are laying the foundation to increase value in PS+/PSNow with more recent games.
Nice!
Sony Picturs and anime are a big part of their business, I'm glad to see a better integration

I just hope this is an added benefit to the existing subscription and not something to pay more
If this has that new 4k high bitrate Video Service they have on their TVs. I'm with it.

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
If this is Sony's "counterpunch" to Game Pass then they are way off the mark.. but as an added bonus to PlayStation Plus, sure, if it's no extra charge.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, Shpeshal Ed mentioned this a couple weeks back. I'm not really interested, but a cool addition nonetheless. He said things like movies, music, anime and gaming put into one package basically.