Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
The Callisto Protocol's season pass will include extra death animations for the protagonist Jacob and the enemies he faces, it's been confirmed.

The details of the season pass were recently added to the game's Steam Page, listing everything it offers.
The full Season Pass content is as follows:

Outer Way Skin Collection: Bear the armor of the Outer Way, an underground insurgency pitted against the UJC, as you fight to survive the horrors of Callisto.
Contagion Bundle: Discover the ultimate survival horror experience with a new mode, Contagion. With reduced ammo and health drops, a customized difficulty and permadeath – there are no second chances to escape Black Iron Prison or the horrors lurking beneath the surface of Callisto. The Contagion Bundle also includes thirteen new Jacob death animations and the Watchtower Skin Collection.
Riot Bundle: Venture into a previously undiscovered area of Black Iron Prison and battle through waves of brutal enemies. Gather credits to upgrade your weapons, or forge new ones, and survive the onslaught as long as you can in Riot, an all-new mode. The Riot Bundle also includes twelve new enemy death animations and the Engineer Skin Collection.
Story DLC: Dig deeper into the horrifying secrets of The Callisto Protocol.

More at VGC: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...on-pass-includes-new-player-death-animations/

UPDATE:
Screenshot_9.png

View: https://twitter.com/GlenSchofield/status/1595513458618818560?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1595513458618818560%7Ctwgr%5Ea2ccee772a80c70f00f1ff7131c43db2b95543e6%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.videogameschronicle.com%2Fnews%2Fthe-callisto-protocols-dlc-death-animations-arent-being-held-back-from-the-main-game-creator-says%2F

Last edited:

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh...?

This is a first and honestly I'm not liking the implications.

I'd rather have them in the base game or not have them at all

Like yeah Death animations are work but I don't need MORE than what's there.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
All that crunching and they still had to cut content and sell it later.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
In for the Story DLC and the Horde mode. I don`t get the obsession with player death animations though.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, a season pass for Callisto? How did I miss this?

Blargh, no thanks.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it's not that different than selling dances and shit, but definitely feels like they need stuff to justify a season pass instead of something you'd actually buy it for.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If it's part of a new game mode, maybe it's because of new enemies? If it's just more animations that could have been in the base game, seems not so great. But then having to pay more for a permadeath and new game mode is not great either.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Remember when horse armor was the worst thing in the world?
People keep bringing this up... but horse armor is still by far one of the worst cosmetic dlc we've seen. Not only was it purely cosmetic, but after paying real world money for the privilege, you'd then have to spend even more in game gold to pretty up more then 1 horse. The horse armor dlc never stopped being bad, the industry has just found more ways to do bad dlc like this death animation dlc or Sonic Origin's menu animation dlc.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It would make sense if the mode also adds new enemies or environmental hazards but from the description it just sound like an extra hard mode?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if the animations are contextual to that mode then it kind of makes sense? Will have to see more when it comes out I guess

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Difficulty mode and death animations locked behind a season pass. I'm out. There are enough games elsewhere.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Not only does it say that there are new player death animations but:
The Riot Bundle also includes twelve new enemy death animations and the Engineer Skin Collection.
The fuck is this even supposed to mean? If I buy this pack, the things I kill will die differently? Twelve new animations of them being dismembered? What the fuck are we doing here?

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand a new area having new animations since that means new hazards and enemies but the Contagion bundle makes no sense.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
This focus on death animations is really weird. What if players rarely die? I hope they don't regularly funnel you into dying just to see the awesome death animations.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Extra Death Animations just for (Digital) Deluxe Edition is shitty but well i did manage to preorder the digital deluxe edition version when somehow Krafton managed to price the game according to my region's recommended price on steam, for a limited time that is.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, half of that stuff seems like it should be included in the base game. Paid DLC death animations in a survival horror game? Come the fuck on.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Not only does it say that there are new player death animations but:

The fuck is this even supposed to mean? If I buy this pack, the things I kill will die differently? Twelve new animations of them being dismembered? What the fuck are we doing here?
The description says this:
Gather credits to upgrade your weapons, or forge new ones
So the new enemy death animations might come from them?

The Contagion DLC is what confuses me, since there doesn't seem to be new content that would add new animations.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when horse armor was the worst thing in the world?

Yes, and I remember being very against the precedent it was going to set that the majority seemed to think "was no big deal" at the time.
Even I couldn't have foreseen this kind of shit though.

People keep bringing this up... but horse armor is still by far one of the worst cosmetic dlc we've seen. Not only was it purely cosmetic, but after paying real world money for the privilege, you'd then have to spend even more in game gold to pretty up more then 1 horse. The horse armor dlc never stopped being bad, the industry has just found more ways to do bad dlc like this death animation dlc or Sonic Origin's menu animation dlc.

It was bad for many reasons, but it's nowhere near as bad as what has become of the gaming industry's milking attempts today. It's not even remotely close. For PC players at least it made no sense to bother with since there were already mods that did the same thing (and in some cases better) anyway. The biggest offense that the horse armor has is that it was successful.

Last edited:

Vantair

Aug 2, 2022
Their whole focus on death animations in general has felt really… weird? I don't know. I'm not morally against it, it just feels like they think it's this huge selling feature.

Maybe it is to a lot of people, but to me it's just felt a little baffling all the focus it's gotten, and this dlc for even more really just solidifies that.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The description says this:

So the new enemy death animations might come from them?

The Contagion DLC is what confuses me, since there doesn't seem to be new content that would add new animations.
It could be that but at first blush that sounded like it was suggesting that you either upgrade your weapons as you go or use those resources to craft other weapons wholesale, not necessarily that the DLC introduces new weapons to the game? I feel like if that were the case, they'd surely prop that up rather than saying "new death animations" because "new weapons" sounds more exciting and common.

This whole thing is a mess. I've had the digital deluxe edition pre-ordered for ages and this is so egregious that I almost want to bump my pre-order down to the standard out of principle, lol.

redlentil

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I was considering day 1 for this (reviews pending) but this has driven me away. I'll stick to the backlog and get it on sale in a few years with everything included. Terrible marketing.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
So the meat of the DLC is the story expansion and it has some additional goodies thrown in that they couldn't polish in time for launch plus death animations that might happen in new contexts introduced by some of the content in the DLC? I guess they would have been better off not mentioning the death animations at all in this to pad the table of contents for the DLC but otherwise I don't see the problem.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I'll buy the story DLC if I enjoy the game enough. But the rest, yeah, can suck my balls. Not dealing with all that

Their whole focus on death animations in general has felt really… weird? I don't know. I'm not morally against it, it just feels like they think it's this huge selling feature.

Maybe it is to a lot of people, but to me it's just felt a little baffling all the focus it's gotten, and this dlc for even more really just solidifies that.

Gore and horror go hand and hand. They ain't making Hereditary. This one is violent

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
My first thought when I read this is I will just wait for a discounted version with all features included, which is precisely not what you want from a new IP that needs sales to establish a franchise and studio.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
It could be that but at first blush that sounded like it was suggesting that you either upgrade your weapons as you go or use those resources to craft other weapons wholesale, not necessarily that the DLC introduces new weapons to the game? I feel like if that were the case, they'd surely prop that up rather than saying "new death animations" because "new weapons" sounds more exciting and common.

This whole thing is a mess. I've had the digital deluxe edition pre-ordered for ages and this is so egregious that I almost want to bump my pre-order down to the standard out of principle, lol.
Yeah, that makes more sense, actually.

It really is weird. I guess we'll see in the Season Pass trailer how they work.

But just adding new animations into the new game is not only lame, but it also makes it seem unfinished.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

It was a big thing for Dead Space, though more natural than marketing focus if I remember. Then the eye laser scene from 2 went super viral.

MK had a similar video boom. So probably them tapping into that.