• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Intellivision-Amico-Glacier-White

Article

The team at Intellivision has been working tirelessly to bring Amico, our family-focused entertainment system, to eager households around the world.
We've grown to a strong and stable company of more than 60 passionate team members spanning three continents, representing some of the industry's best talent. All of us are extremely excited to share Amico with you.

We originally planned to launch Amico in the Fall of 2020 but had to adapt during the midst of the global pandemic disrupting our production. Despite our best efforts, and now facing new unprecedented international component supply and logistics challenges beyond our control, we want to apologise as we are forced to push our desired launch date yet again.
In spite of these supply hurdles hampering our ability to fill all orders, we are focused and determined to deliver pre-ordered units by the end of the year. This will also allow us more time to optimise our operating system for future game development.

We want to ensure that those who have anticipated the Amico for so long, get a chance to enjoy it as soon as possible. Of course, we will keep all of our customers and interested parties informed and updated on our continued progress.

Fun fact this is apparently the third delay for the Amico if you add this delay to the count:
It was originally due to release in October 2020, but the COVID-19 pandemic pushed this back to April 2021, then again to Fall 2021.

For those of you that preordered the Amico, don't you worry lmao:
Intellivision says that everyone who has pre-ordered will be getting "a very special thank you gift via email next week" as an apology for the further delay.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
If I can ever get one for ultra dirt cheap second hand I'd actually be interested in just seeing what the whole thing is like in the end but they could just delay it into a dumpster and I'd be totally fine with that lmao

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will also allow us more time to optimise our operating system for future game development.
a look into their OS and game dev environment would be interesting

EDIT: wait this is running on a snapdragon and custom android?

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Not surprising given the pandemic. This had pretty low odds of success to begin with and I'm sure dealing with the production issues that covid has brought on has only decreased the odds. I do hope the thing actually manages to get out there in the world even if... a lot of the execution looks suspect.

I think there is like, a kernel of a good product differentiation idea here. Tallarico has mostly lacked professionalism and marketing focus -- I don't get why the audience of what is probably only a few hundred middle aged retro true believers is remotely strategically important to what the purported value proposition is of this thing. I suppose you work with the captured audience you have, but this thing is not going to succeed or fail due to that crowd

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
If I can ever get one for ultra dirt cheap second hand I'd actually be interested in just seeing what the whole thing is like in the end but they could just delay it into a dumpster and I'd be totally fine with that lmao
lmao lowkey, this feels like one of those things where several years from now, they're gonna be rare to get cause barely anyone bought them and some small tiny community will start collecting them and find ways to mod the Amico

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, plain and simple.
to be fair, I can definitely see them having a hard time getting components. they're probably scraping left over chips from Qualcomm and other companies. the good thing is they probably don't have too many orders to fill. actually, that's probably a bad thing

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hope is that it will get cancelled, they sell the Intellivision brand, and the new Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain games end up on regular consoles and/or PC.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
The idea is not bad, but is pretty niche to guarantee a meaningful success. I think the Playdate idea is more attractive, or even the Evercade model as it gives cheap physical releases to games lost in time.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
they apparently sent the notice out at midnight Friday night.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
to be fair, I can definitely see them having a hard time getting components. they're probably scraping left over chips from Qualcomm and other companies. the good thing is they probably don't have too many orders to fill. actually, that's probably a bad thing

My guess is it's the lack of orders that is the real reason for the delay. This buys them a few more months to try and salvage some interest somehow. Not that they will, but they can try.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is it's the lack of orders that is the real reason for the delay. This buys them a few more months to try and salvage some interest somehow. Not that they will, but they can try.
Would not be shocked if they didn't hit the threshold of where building them would no longer be a net loss or don't have the cashflow for a production line.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
The supposed insider info says they had a window to lock in hardware before Covid, but chose to wait to get better prices and then a pandemic happened. Prices are way higher now and they've adjusted to different, cheaper components which has led to game delays because the new components aren't working exactly same as before.

Getting all their ducks in a row in the midst of a global pandemic along with a number of amateur decisions has led to a bit of a mess. Designing and releasing a console isn't easy, folks.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Did they inform Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo about the new release date so they can push back their releases?