• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is it then?

• Remake

Votes: 184 20.5%
  • Remaster

Votes: 317 35.3%
  • Port

Votes: 29 3.2%
  • Not enough effort i bet

Votes: 224 25.0%
  • Marvel Studio's Eternals

Votes: 143 15.9%

• Total voters

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Man, chrono cross was always one of my absolute favorites as a kid. Such strong memories of this game, actually liked it better than trigger, much to the shock and dismay of my buddies, but I attribute that mostly to playing it first, and then playing trigger years later, so that probably had a huge impact. Honestly, even just a ff8 level remaster would be awesome, and in all likely hood is what is most probable. I really hope this ends up being true. Tried going back to the ps1 game a few years back and it was pretty tough.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How much work is "enough", though? Which is what I'm getting at. Objectively speaking it's a remaster. They updated the lighting, certain effects, resolution and as you've said, framerate. In the grand scheme of things it's pretty weak but if we're talking semantics here then checks all of the boxes as to what a remaster is vs. a simple port.
there isn't an exact science, unfortunately. We just have to weigh all aspects of a rerelease and compare them to those of its original release, and, from that, gauge if the improvements to the rerelease were enough to warrant the label remaster. It's not quantifiable, so I can't say "this is the threshold beyond which all rereleases can use the term 'remaster'". But what I do know, is that, in my book, Dark Souls Remastered does not meet that threshold.

ashm

Oct 26, 2017
What's the difference between a remaster and a port, in the context of this game?
  • A game is ported with respect to its source code and target platform.
    • A port may have performance adjustments that result in better or worse visuals.
  • A game is remastered with respect to its assets.
    • A remaster may look better, worse, different, or the same as its original counterpart.
    • A remaster is usually a port.
  • A game is remade with respect to its conceptual design.
    • A remake may play different or the same as its original counterpart.
    • A remake may look better, worse, different or the same as its original counterpart.
    • A remake is usually not a port.
  • A rerelease to a new platform that is not achieved through emulation and is not a remake is inherently a port, and may also be a remaster.
  • Any rerelease, be it a port, a remaster, a remake or an emulation, may include new content, exclude content, or be exactly the same as its original counterpart.
One edge-case example I really like is Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for Game Boy Colour, which is essentially a remake of Super Mario Bros. for the NES that looks and plays the exact same, other than the different resolution and minor adjustments.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
To me a remaster is when you take the original game and make it look as good as it possibly can in its original form. High definition rendering resolution, texture filtering, integer scaled 2D elements, redrawn stuff here and there.

It's like how Blade Runner Definitive Cut took the original movie, shuffled some scenes around, fixed the special effects goofs (visible wires) then spit it out in 1080p.

Something like OOT 3D straddles the line since it's the original game with a significant graphical overhaul. It's still the N64 original running under the hood though.

Dec 21, 2020
Remaster: an ambitious port that updates aspects of the original game and cleans it up. Can have new music, assets, QoL features added to it, etc. but at it's core, it is that original game. It's, on an financial level, a smarter thing to go at when bringing a game to a newer audience but not wanting to just port it.

Example: Xenoblade Definitive Edition, Alan Wake Remastered and GTA 3 Trilogy which just released (in a poor state)

Remake: a game that is much more ambitious than a remaster, in that it can be as faithful to the original or as ambitious as possible. It is a completely different game from the original and more of a copycat of the original to varying degrees. The overall concepts, philosophy, plot, etc is recreated in this other game. The scope of that recreation is up to the developer. A game can attempt to be like the original or take liberties and add extra or take away something from the original source, but still follow the original plot in the overarching way.

Example: RE2 Remake, Shadow of the Colossus, Pokémon Brilliant Diamond.

Retellings fall under or are extension of Remake, except they just have the same characters and settings but the plot is not really like the original, this is what Final Fantasy 7 RE is.

That's *my* definition of course. Neither are bad.

Developers go about it their own way of how they want to do remakes and remasters. Nintendo is more faithful with their remakes, as to not alter a title away from the source. Square Enix was ambitious with its remake of 7, not really sticking to the original.

granted the original couldn't be stuck to really considering how ancient it was. :p

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be cool with some big changes (particularly to the stank battle system and non-existent difficulty curve) just as long as they don't try to explicitly tie the two games harder in response to the long running complaints.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
Been wondering about something since this was posted. It looks like Chrono Cross Remaster is likely true (nvidia leak, being validated by gaming journalists etc).

That aside, what are the odds that someone actually got confirmation that the song that Irish singer was referring to was Chrono Cross? I'd think this information would be fairly hard to get a hold of and you'd need some sort of connection with the musicians working for the game.

Do you think it was actually confirmed the singer's game is related or that someone just made an assumption based on some of the similarities between the two reports/leaks?

It may end up being a remake
OP
OP
Blackbird

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Fairly certain Chrono Cross is a remake. Not a remaster. This isn't a FF8 Remaster type release.

Minor things. Certainly subject to change.

It's not a high budget release. But I don't believe it's a simple remaster ala FF8.

But I've also seen some reporting suggest Forever Entertainment is doing Chrono Cross... so maybe scope changed & the info I had is out of date.

NateDrake coming up with more info.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck are they not remaking Chrono Trigger?
Now THAT would have been an event.
(╯ ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)╯┻━┻

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I don't wanna speak for them, but from my time at Era they seem a trustworthy insider that often hear about stuff before coming out.

Personally, i'd vouch for their info.

You are right, very trustworthy. Doesn't speak riddles or make vague comments like a lot of insiders, just pops up every now and then with some news and that is it. He is up there for reliability.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Why the fuck are they not remaking Chrono Trigger?
Now THAT would have been an event.
(╯ ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)╯┻━┻

We don't deserve it.

I'm assuming it's a remake. I don't think the games mechanics have aged that well compared to FF games. But I'm excited either way.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Another rumor said it's being developed by the same studio who did Panzer Dragoon: Remake, which despite its title is really a remaster. I think it'll be the same here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Another rumor said it's being developed by the same studio who did Panzer Dragoon: Remake, which despite its title is really a remaster. I think it'll be the same here.

Their deal with SE was to develop multiple remakes for a single IP, so Chrono doesn't seem like a fit:
www.gamesindustry.biz

Square Enix taps Forever Entertainment for remakes

Square Enix has signed a deal with Forever Entertainment to remake some of its catalog titles.The studio today confirme…
The purpose of the agreement is to create and release multiple games remakes of one Square Enix Japan IP.
Getting more than 50% of revenue also makes it seem like a lower priority SE IP? Their last game with SE was Fear Effect Sedna.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
the worst tracks on FFX HD were done by Uematsu and his protégé to be fair, like the battle theme

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
That was done by Masashi Hamauzu not Mitsuda
I know, and I trust he will do a great job.
What I meant is remastered soundtracks (as most things remastered, really) often end up being worse than the original counterpart.
As for Hamauzu, in retrospect it's kind of a miracle FFVIIR OST turned as good as it did.
But that's another topic.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the worst tracks on FFX HD were done by Uematsu and his protégé to be fair, like the battle theme
Interesting... Uematsu's recent works have been pretty subpar in general but many people don't want to admit it...

I know, and I trust he will do a great job.
What I meant is remastered soundtracks (as most things remastered, really) often end up being worse than the original counterpart.
As for Hamauzu, in retrospect it's kind of a miracle FFVIIR OST turned as good as it did.
But that's another topic.
Ehh I disagree. The Pixel Remaster soundtracks have all been stellar.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping its a remake, even if its not a high budget one. Never played it, so it would be a treat.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
Man, chrono cross was always one of my absolute favorites as a kid. Such strong memories of this game, actually liked it better than trigger, much to the shock and dismay of my buddies, but I attribute that mostly to playing it first, and then playing trigger years later, so that probably had a huge impact. Honestly, even just a ff8 level remaster would be awesome, and in all likely hood is what is most probable. I really hope this ends up being true. Tried going back to the ps1 game a few years back and it was pretty tough.

exact same for me. I'd look forward to both.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Where can we see who composed specific tracks? It's not listed in the game credits, as far as I've seen.
vgmdb.net

SQEX-20015 | FINAL FANTASY X HD Remaster Original Soundtrack - VGMdb

Commercial (Blu-ray) published by SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. on Dec 25, 2013 containing original soundtrack, arrangement, vocal from Final Fantasy X HD Remaster, FINAL FANTASY X-2

you need to check arrangers as they're the ones that did the remaster. Composer is just who did the original melody or who did the original track in 2001

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Their deal with SE was to develop multiple remakes for a single IP, so Chrono doesn't seem like a fit:
www.gamesindustry.biz

Square Enix taps Forever Entertainment for remakes

Square Enix has signed a deal with Forever Entertainment to remake some of its catalog titles.The studio today confirme…

Getting more than 50% of revenue also makes it seem like a lower priority SE IP? Their last game with SE was Fear Effect Sedna.

For what it's worth, a producer working at a Forever owned company has been Tweeting about Chrono Cross recently. He was also asked about it directly, but only responded with some coy GIFs. Although I got the impression the Forever deal was announced pretty much as soon as it was signed, so it seems odd they'd be announcing a remake of any kind in such a short time if they are indeed working on it.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Phalk

Oct 27, 2017
Campo Grande, Brazil
Chrono Cross is my favorite JRPG of all time, I was already happy with the rumors of a remaster, now I'm even happier knowing it could be a remake, even if it's in the same lines as Trials of Mana (another favorite of mine).