• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Changing the lighting of a level = completely replacing assets and changing significant amounts of level geometry, apparently.
The level geometry did change quite a bit not just the lighting, and a lot of the mechanics of Soul Reaver required moving between both worlds to solve puzzles to progress
And it did it on the back of PS1's 2x CD drive lol

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
The pocket dimensions are pretty standard portal stuff, probably not too different from what Prey did on the 360. Those big shifts are the bigger question

EDk80g6.gif

This is the gif - an argument can be made for the other portal jumps in game, but this instant (and others throughout this world) is the technical aspect of the game design in Rift Apart that couldn't be replicated on older hardware.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Thats not the point. They specifically said that the rifts were only possible to do on the PS5 because of the SSD and that is not true. It was buzzwordy schpiel to market the console.

No one is questioning whether or not the PS5 is capable of better graphics, but the example they used to showcase what's possible with an SSD was misleading.

SSDs are awesome and incredibly fast, you can load stuff dozens of times faster compared to a platter disk but the way Sony marketed it made it seem like it would revolutionise games and change what type of games you can play, akin to Microsoft's "Cloud Computing". Now, unlike "Cloud Computing" you can actually get measurable results from an SSD, they do make an impact, but they don't enable anything that wasn't possible before, they just allow developers to load and unload data much faster which, in turn, can help deliver higher graphical fidelity because they can offload assets sooner than they would otherwise.

There are plenty of benefits to having SSDs, but it's not the revolutionary thing that will reinvent games that Sony tried to make it out to be.

All my machines have SSDs, they're awesome! Trust me, I know, but they didn't revolutionise computing and they won't revolutionise consoles, they will just bring the same types of improvements that we saw on PCs and that is the point.

Yes but unfortunately you know most here won't bother to rationalize it. They just want to spit their hot take.

Right. "Ultra fast SSD" has become soemthing of an annyoing buzzword.

SSD's are great. However, game revolutions nowadays will happen because of new design. Not because the SSD loads fast.

I don't get why so many buy into "only possbile on X" PR speak.

Because they're super fans and can't accept any sort of negativity towards their company of choice. This attitude is as old as gaming itself.

So you're just taking this idiots opinion as gospel? Why wasn't the rift mechanic used in previous generations if it was so easily attainable?

Maybe Insomniac was given direction by Sony to design a scene to show off what they wanted to market as something revolutionary? It's not like this is the first time that would have happened.

This video is one of those "technically correct" situations. and pushing it like this is disingenuous imo.

this is possible on older hardware but you would have to give up way more ram to allow for loading in both sets of assets. this would lead to way less asset variety making both your scenes less dense or both scenes would have to share more assets. The time between scene changes would probably also have to be longer to account for the slower loading times. again this can be mitigated with less assets or lower quality assets. but the fact remains that doing what R&C is doing at the fidelity and pacing it is doing it at is not possible on older hardware.

The SSD allows insomniac to dedicate less (if any) of the ram to keeping both levels in memory while the 2nd level gets loaded, it makes things so much easier and places less restrictions on the design and art team when making those kind of transitions.

This was all about prerelease marketing and you know it. It's not like we can't find quotes by them stating that their SSD is magical and stuff like this can only be done on it. It's just marketing.

As ghostcrew post above says, the article is trying to make a clickbaitey story to be inflammatory.
If you watch the video the guy talks about how they specifically stated on more than one occasion that the rift tech wasn't possible withou the SSD

He then goes to to show that is would be and how exactly they have achieved the sequences in the game and how limited in scope they are specifically to achieve the set piece they want to show. He even goes on to show the same effect happening in a PS3 game.

He's not commenting on graphics, he's not saying that it would like like it does now on PS3, simply that in Sony's marketing for the PS5 and placing so much emphasis on the SSD could delivery gameplay experiences never before possible, they have told some porkies.

It's amazing to me we have people who continue to buy into marketing year after year.

Going from "the crazy fast SSD allows never-before-seen gameplay innovations" to "the crazy fast SSD allows stuff that was already possible, but with better graphics" sounds like a slight goal post move to me. Pre-release people were 100% talking about the portal mechanic itself being impossible on slower storage.

Yep.

So it's a marketing lie because this thing that they do for the first time on new hardware was theoretically possible before but never demonstrated in a game that anyone can point to on earlier hardware?

Yep, exactly. Nothing wrong with pointing it out either. Read the article to understand what he is really saying. Stop reading inflammatory headlines and accepting them as truth.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's like saying that Shadow Of Mordor's nemesis system is possible on a ps3. You're technically correct but not in the way you think.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Honing in on if it's possible on older hardware misses the point somewhat.

The bigger thing is 'Would you design a game based around rifts without the SSD speeds?'. The answer is no.

You could hone in on a set-piece and say it could be achieved on older hardware, but that means very little practically.

The bigger questions are 'How much more time would you need?', 'How much more staff?', 'How much more testing?'.

You could optmize a room in Marvel's Spider-Man to have accurate reflections. You use screen-space reflections and cubemaps. You reduce the model complexity - and have mirrored models of Spider-Man and the enemies on glass. You could spend months ironing out the bugs and performance issues.

Could you do that for every room? No. Would it be worth doing it for one room? Maybe - a boss room perhaps.

What hardware-accelerated ray tracing enables is having accurate reflections for that room, and every other room - so you would do it more.

Would Insomniac invest the months in optimizing a single set-piece to jump between areas seamlessly? Maybe. Would you design a game around that? No - it would be a practical impossibility. That's what the importance of the SSD is.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Marketing lies.

Watch the video or look at the various examples of the same technique being used both in the ps3 and PS4 era that people have talked about here.

Yeah but Ratchet does the Titanfall 2 / Dishonored 2 thing while also just straight up loading entirely new environments just as fast.

I'm not seeing any examples of the latter on previous generations without a loading screen or walking through a tight space and to my recollection the marketing around the game's loading was almost entirely focused on that element of the game rather than hitting the crystals and the same level changing into a different version. If you want to say there was less Rift full level loads in the game than the marketing lead you to believe I'd agree since that was such a focus.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Do we really have people in here that think, that the Rift transitioning Stuff is possible with an HDD? At that Fidelty? Come on guys.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah but Ratchet does the Titanfall 2 / Dishonored 2 thing while also just straight up loading entirely new environments just as fast.

I'm not seeing any examples of the latter on previous generations without a loading screen or walking through a tight space and to my recollection the marketing around the game's loading was almost entirely focused on that element of the game rather than hitting the crystals and the same level changing into a different version. If you want to say there was less Rift full level loads in the game than the marketing lead you to believe I'd agree since that was such a focus.
You are disputing something else entirely, watch the video. He explains himself much better than that article does.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
But in this case, we have a lot of evidence.

This guy is saying it could be done provided you built in the time and left space to pre-load all the new assets while still playing in the current level's assets. That's a completely different implementation to how Insomniac is doing it. In Ratchet their asset quality in a current level is making pretty much full use of the hardware, so they can't then preload a second level at the same time. Instead, they're unloading the current level and then loading the next level at record speed thanks to the SSD. That method absolutely can't be done on previous generations.

So for him to say "it could have been done by preloading the next level while still playing in the current level on older hardware" - no shit, Sherlock. LOTS of developers already did that. Hell, Jak and Daxter blew people's minds by doing it on the PS2. No loading screens during gameplay! It was incredible. But that's not what Insomniac is doing here. They're not holding back asset quality by being able to load multiple levels into memory simultaneously. They're using the SSD speed to maximise quality while still having almost instantaneous level swaps. The closest thing we've seen to this approach until now is in the notorious loading corridors, where a character squeezes slowly through a tight space so the game has time to unload what came before and load up what comes afterwards. If Insomniac's method was possible previously, these slow-ass corridors wouldn't have been so common.

87469250.jpg

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
At blu-ray read speeds and with 256 MB of memory

Yeah I suppose if it looked like an early PS2 game

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Honestly, they completely oversold those rifts. They're quite rare to begin with and they don't add much. I expected much more.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Yes! And star citizen could probably run on a PS3!

it just would not be the same project the devs envisioned to make with every downgrade imaginable used and scaling back that just gimp the vision.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
He should use his deep knowledge of portals to travel back in time and make sure that Rascal never happened.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Honing in on if it's possible on older hardware misses the point somewhat.

The bigger thing is 'Would you design a game based around rifts without the SSD speeds?'. The answer is no.

You could hone in on a set-piece and say it could be achieved on older hardware, but that means very little practically.
Exactly.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Do we really have people in here that think, that the Rift transitioning Stuff is possible with an HDD? At that Fidelty? Come on guys.

I think a lot of people accept that visual fidelity would make it infeasible. However It seems a number of people do think that the data needs of non-graphical data, for 'gameplay', are universally small enough that any dev team could realise any concept they'd ever want, on any schedule, with any budget, and buffer it twice or three times over in the RAM of a PS3, alongside even PS3-era assets etc. That from a gameplay perspective you could take the data related to any conceivable gameplay situation and apply 'portal-ing' to it, on PS3-levels of memory, and anything else memory wise is just useful graphical gravy and nothing more. Adding an SSD doesn't really 'free developers to do things', gameplay-wise, and ergo statements to that effect have been misleading.

Interesting if true, but there seems to be a huge amount of assumption there.

Bobsjourney

Jul 19, 2020
This whole thing reminds of this video i would see people from the xbox cant run rift apart camp bring up. I timestamped where he says its not possible unless u bought an ultra fast 3rd party ssd that can brute force it lol

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! And star citizen could probably run on a PS3!

it just would not be the same project the devs envisioned to make with every downgrade imaginable used and scaling back that just gimp the vision.

And not to mention the fact that it probably could be pulled off on a PS3 with massive sacrifices and concessions... imagine the years of devs pulling their hair out trying to get this kind of stuff to work on older hardware.

Sometimes it's not that something "isn't possible on older hardware" but instead it's a case of "we didn't want to spend 9 months trying to figure this out so we cut it"

Seventy5

Mar 14, 2020
I played PS3 enough to know it's not true lol

If we are changing the graphics it could technically be made for anything, like those PS1 demakes.
I still play mine fairly regularly and played thru R&C Into the Nexus a month ago. I can't imagine how much they would have had to cut back to add rifts, and the load times are already pretty long.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
not really. The actual Atheon fight is a relatively small arena; 'Mars' and 'Venus' are already in memory.
Exactly.

"The Pocket Dimensions are really graphically basic, and in fact just seem to use a lot of the same generic objects like crates that would already be available in generic memory.

"So it's pretty much a sky dome, a few small platforms, generic objects and nice lighting, so on older hardware it wouldn't take much memory, especially as it also uses the generic objects, all of which make it quick to load."

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
But in this case, we have a lot of evidence.

This guy is saying it could be done provided you built in the time and left space to pre-load all the new assets while still playing in the current level's assets. That's a completely different implementation to how Insomniac is doing it. In Ratchet their asset quality in a current level is making pretty much full use of the hardware, so they can't then preload a second level at the same time. Instead, they're unloading the current level and then loading the next level at record speed thanks to the SSD. That method absolutely can't be done on previous generations.

So for him to say "it could have been done by preloading the next level while still playing in the current level on older hardware" - no shit, Sherlock. LOTS of developers already did that. Hell, Jak and Daxter blew people's minds by doing it on the PS2. No loading screens during gameplay! It was incredible. But that's not what Insomniac is doing here. They're not holding back asset quality by being able to load multiple levels into memory simultaneously. They're using the SSD speed to maximise quality while still having almost instantaneous level swaps. The closest thing we've seen to this approach until now is in the notorious loading corridors, where a character squeezes slowly through a tight space so the game has time to unload what came before and load up what comes afterwards. If Insomniac's method was possible previously, these slow-ass corridors wouldn't have been so common.

87469250.jpg

I also watched Mark Cerny's explanation of the PS5, but thanks for transcribing it here. It is always important that information is made available from as many sources as possible, it only enriches the debate.

There are two points here that I want to emphasize:

1- We don't know how much memory each of these rifts costs. As the video says, these are snippets on rails that may well be just pre-calculated streams and that may be small next to the grand scheme of things. Eventually, to work with a slower load, it would only need the previous segment to be a few seconds longer. Most of the elements are generic and the excerpts are short.

2- Insomniac clearly made the game to work on PS5, using PS5 features. But that doesn't necessarily mean that this game couldn't be made on another platform if that's what it wanted. Many games were made thinking that the console has a HDD, but they could have been made unintentionally. Just like this game doesn't work on Xbox either, because it wasn't intended for this console.

A Soulsborne was never made on the PS2. That's not to say it was impossible.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yes, you can switch between two, empty square rooms in memory on PS1.

The tech wizardry here was always the size of the swap, the instant streaming, and the large amount of data (level fidelity and size).
You should check out Soul Reaver on ps1, you would be surprised at what a ps1 could do back then.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Soul Reaver was swapping between two worlds back on the PS1, but of course, Ratchet & Clank doing the area swapping with such high level graphics is what makes it impressive.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah there was definitely some salesmanship taking place in those early tech demos trying to get people excited about the PS5.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I think you need more ram if your not going to be using the SSD for streaming, otherwise your game will need to look like a Ps1 game.

I believe games like titanfall 2 do this, load levels in to ram.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Soul Reaver was swapping between two worlds back on the PS1, but of course, Ratchet & Clank doing the area swapping with such high level graphics is what makes it impressive.
It also at the forefront of streaming the gameworld to avoid loading times.
On a goddamn ps1 where you average game had load times for most of anything.

It's also important to note that Soul Reaver did that while not degrading the game noticeably, it even a looker in its weakest configuration (I'm not even talking about the DC port here).

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Insomniac clearly made the game to work on PS5, using PS5 features. But that doesn't necessarily mean that this game couldn't be made on another platform if that's what it wanted. Many games were made thinking that the console has a HDD, but they could have been made unintentionally. Just like this game doesn't work on Xbox either, because it wasn't intended for this console.

A Soulsborne was never made on the PS2. That's not to say it was impossible.
Are you high..? Your goalposts for this argument are jumping around all over the place.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing reminds of this video i would see people from the xbox cant run rift apart camp bring up. I timestamped where he says its not possible unless u bought an ultra fast 3rd party ssd that can brute force it lol

To be fair, that's a video from three months before the PS5 came up. They're fully basing their discvussion on the pre-release stuff that this dev is pushing back on about the rifts not being possible on anything other than the PS5 SSD.

I'm not saying they're wrong - but it's an example of what this dev is saying in terms of pre-release statements, not proof of them being wrong.

Edit: re-reading your post, I think I might have misread it and might just be agreeing with you

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
You should check out Soul Reaver on ps1, you would be surprised at what a ps1 could do back then.

Game development is wizardry and magic in a way. So much of it is smoke and mirrors to trick us into thinking a virtual world is normal and acting in a way out brains would expect.

R&C was very likely heavily influenced by what those guys pulled off back in the day.

It also at the forefront of streaming the gameworld to avoid loading times.
On a goddamn ps1 where you average game had load times for most of anything.

It's also important to note that Soul Reaver did that while not degrading the game noticeably, it even a looker in its weakest configuration (I'm not even talking about the DC port here).

As an example of limitations and work around, Resident Evil was originally supposed to be 3D, but they went with the hybrid 3D isometric view and prerendered background after they couldn't get the feeling they were working for with complete polygons. The loading times were some of the fastest at the time, and it worked creating a classic hit.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Wait isn't this a re-upload? Did he cut something out or change something?

I mean Blizar Prime alone should end this debate. It's an insane amount of data switched in the fly by the player.

blackboxme

Sep 30, 2019
Just loading the game from scratch proves R&C's tech. It is so fast that it feels uncanny. Every switch to a different planet proves it to. You can pick any planet, with different characters. It's what, 1 second. That is really unusual. I can't really think of another game that feels that way.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The pocket dimensions are pretty standard portal stuff, probably not too different from what Prey did on the 360. Those big shifts are the bigger question

EDk80g6.gif
There is no questions, if the answer has to be 1000% exact. I love the SSD and don't get me wrong here... But on a PC with a truckload of RAM (64GB perhaps?) or more RAM this would be technically possible.

RAM has lower latency and significantly more bandwidth than SSD. So if you can keep everything in RAM such transition's would be possible and the kicker is even faster. Like literally instantly instead of the half a second to a second transition.

The problem... You would have horrendous first time loading times and a console with 64GB RAM would cost to much.

Rosebud Here is the answer.
Ask yourself why these kinds of tricks were never attempted or pulled off on older hardware.
Actually there were attempts. Just smaller in scale, due to the available RAM. But technically speaking he is right, lwao and Tiago Rodrigues. If you hold both levels in RAM you can easily switch. Let's say PS5 would've had 128GB of RAM... Ratchet would have easily work. It would have even faster transition than the real PS5 version, because RAM compared to the SSD had significantly more bandwidth and lower latency.

Make no mistake, having so much RAM doesn't make sense in a consumer product and MS/Sony were absolutely smart here. But a SSD at the end of the day is nothing special in terms of speed. It's the bicycle 🚲 in a world of Bugattis (RAM). 5.5GB/s bandwidth vs 448GB/s (PS5 RAM).

What's makes it special is the amount of storage and the price. But if the only question is speed, then RAM wins every award.

Imma let you finish but the PS3 has 512MB of RAM, 256 of which are accessible to the RSX, vs 16GB for the PS5. That's 32x more. How would that work exactly?
It works the same on every device. You keep both levels or more in RAM. Which obviously leads to a massive disadvantage on available RAM and what you can do compared to other games on the same console that don't cut the RAM in half, 1/4 just to do these rifts on a console without a NVMe SSD.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Wait isn't this a re-upload? Did he cut something out or change something?

I mean Blizar Prime alone should end this debate. It's an insane amount of data switched in the fly by the player.
I know where you are coming from and tend to agree, even if he is technically correct. But the question is and that's something only you'd know... How much RAM would a PS5 need to have to keep everything in RAM? 64-128GB? And that's not possible. I like that those console manufacturer put the SSD in there and made the usage of RAM pool more efficient instead of trying to go for significantly higher numbers. Besides, do I even want to know how long a HDD or SATA SSD would need to fill 64-128GB of RAM?

Oct 30, 2017
People seem not understand what is happening in the game, there is a big difference between having two areas stored in the ram at one point and a portal swapping the areas instantously by loading the second area from the ram. The way ratchet and clank world teleportation works is by reading the second world's data directly from ssd within a second or less, the i/o complex is what enables such a behaviour to happen with such highly detailed graphics. Yes it could be achieved even on an hdd but you have to compromise the graphics or have a long loading screen simple as that.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
This is the gif - an argument can be made for the other portal jumps in game, but this instant (and others throughout this world) is the technical aspect of the game design in Rift Apart that couldn't be replicated on older hardware.

A Crack in the Slab (Dishonoured 2) and Effect and Cause (Titanfall 2) both make far more impressive, and crucially gameplay affecting, instant level transitions than anything in Rift Apart.

Rift Apart does next to nothing with the dimension hopping in terms of actual mechanics, and it mostly happens at prescribed times and in prescribed places.

Timepiece_Shift.gif
da65w7g-45f90da3-e630-4ca4-9726-1a316cb6c1a6.gif

A Crack in the Slab is an entire mansion with two versions that you can flip back and forth between at any time to solve puzzles or evade guards.

On top of that you have a constantly visible "window" into the other world. In fact it's almost like both worlds are running at the same time, as though they are both kept in RAM, but if that were possible... you wouldn't even need to load anything in from some magically fast storage device when switching! Wild!

vbk2rmocwi88chfgjxxv.gif
rfmwikdsajbxaaex3kfr.gif

Effect and Cause similarly has two versions of the level that you can swap between at any time and with actual systemic effects on gameplay.

Can't imagine how they managed all that before the PS5 came out, real wizards over at Respawn and Arkane.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
A Crack in the Slab (Dishonoured 2) and Effect and Cause (Titanfall 2) both make far more impressive, and crucially gameplay affecting, instant level transitions than anything in Rift Apart.

vbk2rmocwi88chfgjxxv.gif
rfmwikdsajbxaaex3kfr.gif

Effect and Cause similarly has two versions of the level that you can swap between at any time and with actual systemic effects on gameplay.

Titanfall 2's sequence was entirely indoors iirc and not loading nearly the same amount of assets. I would not call that far more impressive, nor would I call it more impressive. More fun? sure.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That video aged like milk, considering Ratchet runs fine on a slower SSD according to one of the insomniac devs on twitter and verge testings.

Anyhow I think the developer from the OP video is missing the point really. Yes, he is correct. If you keep everything in RAM you could do something like this. But consoles don't have enough RAM for those Ratchet rifts. So without a SSD it's not possible on a PS5 with the RAM pool the consoles has.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Game development is wizardry and magic in a way. So much of it is smoke and mirrors to trick us into thinking a virtual world is normal and acting in a way out brains would expect.

R&C was very likely heavily influenced by what those guys pulled off back in the day.
It's ALL smoke and mirrors.
it's just that in some cases you can see the wires while the better wizards hide them well.
I find it a bit weird to claim that this could only be done on ps5 as it kinds of imply that the bigger factor is the ps5 adnd not Insomniac engineers.