• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
In the letter, Suzuki says he will "never give up" on his ambition to complete the overall Shenmue story, which has previously been estimated to be less than 50% complete by the end of the third game. In a 2015 AMA, Suzuki said he would like to complete 11 story chapters across at least five games.
Suzuki says in the letter: "For as long as there are those who wish to see Shenmue live on, I will never give up on my own personal journey to complete its story. As with Shenmue 3, the Shenmue story is with you.

Well, I was hoping he'd try to make a new Outrun first, but it's neat that he's so dedicated in finishing the story. If he manages to tell it all in games, Shenmue will definitely become one of gaming's greatest franchises of all time.

Jun 12, 2018
What an awesome guy. Such a legend.

Shenmue 4 will be easier and cheaper to make due to the assets n team already being in place.

Shenmue 3 is amazing and is everything i wished it to be.

Thank you yu suzuki.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
So less than 50% has been covered in 3 games and the rest is planned to be completed in 2 games?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Unless THQ Nordic buys it or Epic helps out there's zero chance Suzuki doesn't fade into obscurity again.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Hope he doesn't need crowdfunding to help fund his next project because it will most likely fail.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
He has my full support. Although he should probably duck out of resorting to crowdsourcing for it if he can. I don't think it would work out nearly as well for him as it did for Shenmue 3 back in 2015.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He has my full support. Although he should probably duck out of resorting to crowdsourcing for it if he can. I don't think it would work out nearly as well for him as it did for Shenmue 3 back in 2015.

With everything that happened with the PC version I would be shocked if anyone but the hardest of the hardcore fans would be willing to back a crowdfunded Shenmue 4, yeah.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I don't think it'll happen, I doubt the crowdfunding will be there again and I imagine sales for Shenmue III are going to be abysmal.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
So less than 50% has been covered in 3 games and the rest is planned to be completed in 2 games?
Absolutely possible. It depends how long those games are. The story of Shenmue consists of 11 chapters.
Shenmue 1 only consisted of 1 chapter and Shenmue II consisted of 3 chapters. Yesterday I only played a tiny bit of Shenmue 3, so I don't know how many chapters that game consists of.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure he will need to go through kickstarter again, I don't think this will sell well outside of the kickstarter backers and Shenmue fans.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that his studio probably is already or will be disbanded now that the game shipped and there are no immediate plans, that we know of, for the next one. Now that they have the tech down and got into the groove it probably would have been ideal and cheaper to continue and keep everybody working than to recruit again if or when he gets to continue.
If thought about the similar situation for Kojima Productions. They have the PC version to work at but a studio of that size needs constant work for all of its departments.

Jun 12, 2018
There will be no more crowd funding. The plan was always to be a once off given shenmue's situation.

Ysnet now have the funds, experience and team to pump out console games

To be honest, i can see how he could easily make another virtua fighter game. The foundation is set in shenmue 3. Just needs to add all the additional vf stuff. Honestly though sega should just pick the studio back up

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I like Shenmue 3, but it certainly has some room for improvement. I feel Shenmue 2 is more inviting to you player and doesn't hit you over the head as much if you go in the wrong direction or fail a fight. I hope he gets another chance.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With everything that happened with the PC version I would be shocked if anyone but the hardest of the hardcore fans would be willing to back a crowdfunded Shenmue 4, yeah.
I hope Shenmue 4 and on gets made but yes they killed any chance they had at crowdfunding with how they handled Shenmue 3 kickstarter.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure he will need to go through kickstarter again, I don't think this will sell well outside of the kickstarter backers and Shenmue fans.
I'm not so sure. Cedric Biscay hinted at already having a plan in place and wanting to move onto Shenmue 4 right away. He didn't go into specifics

Oct 30, 2017
Make Outrun 3 instead :)
If he can't get a shot at finishing Shenmue, I certainly hope he's chosen by Sega to help resurrect these classic series. Never keep a good man down... I've been decently surprised by Sega pushing Shenmue 3 via social media. What do most of you figure this game ended up costing the studio? It seems like sales have been decent considering how out of step the game is with modern trends, so I assume it doesn't even need to hit a million to merit another sequel.

Oct 30, 2017
It's presently #12 on the Amazon PS4 chart. Not sure what that would equal in sales, but seems healthy considering we're in the holiday season.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So basically please buy Shenmue 3 so maybe in the future I could make Shenmue 4?