• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks, hopefully his archive of music is kept somewhere because some of it was really amazing.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Well there goes a bunch of game music thats not avaible on atreaming services from the internet. Last time this happened there was alot of friendly fire

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the end of high quality rips tm but it still sucks ass

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He had the best rips. There are many others, but his channel was the most comprehensive.

Hey, Nintendo, ever heard of Spotify/Apple Music, or you know hosting these yourselves? There's a demand.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
cell.gif

All those strikes

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Did he only have Nintendo stuff on his yt ? Because it sounds like every was coming for him after the initial Nintendo claims.

Either way bummer. Though real heads probably have those rips already saved because stuff like this isnt surprising.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This sucks. Why can't Nintendo just put their music on any music site like other companies, or leave VGM on Youtube alone? Hell, Square Enix even does it now, putting their stuff on Spotify, and they were notorious for refusing to do so.

SE has even left alone the Endwalker OST uploads on Youtube (for now at least).

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Did he only have Nintendo stuff on his yt ? Because it sounds like every was coming for him after the initial Nintendo claims.

Either way bummer. Though real heads probably have those rips already saved because stuff like this isnt surprising.
Yeah, Nintendo stuff. But very high quality. Good thumbnails. Good looping.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
"Damn, sucks for anyone that wanted good rips of VG music"
"IT'S NOT HIS PROPERTY, HE HAS NO RIGHT TO IT"
"but his channel isn't monetisedm and this content quite limited in how it can be heard otherwise"
"IT DOESN't MATTER!"

I'm not here to say companies shouldn't be defending their IP (though i'm not sure it works like that, not a lawyer so someone else can clarify), but damn - would it kill Nintendo to just let people listen to the fucking music on streaming services, or if they really need to be unique about it, make it a perk of NSO?

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, that sucks. He's been uploading video game soundtracks for like 12+ years now, hasn't he? Nintendo needs to get with the times.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Is Nintendo the only company where the fans have to literally beg for things that other companies would just do already?

Oct 25, 2017
He had the best rips. There are many others, but his channel was the most comprehensive.

Hey, Nintendo, ever heard of Spotify/Apple Music, or you know hosting these yourselves? There's a demand.
They will have you buy it by the minute over the phone and you will like it. Press 5 to hear Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze soundtrack

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That 3DS Louvre music is beautiful. Shame this channel won't exist anymore.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Fucking hell Nintendo. I really better not lose the tracks I already have.

Nov 15, 2020
At this point I got to imagine there's a legal reason Nintendo doesn't sell or stream their music commercially. Lack of a dedicated staff to manage it? Would they want to handle it or would they team up with a music publisher? In Japan they release soundtrack CDs for their games all the time - the only CDs that make it to the west are usually part of some preorder bonus or collector's edition. There's got to be some blocker that stops them from just selling the music, stand-alone, in the west.

Still doesn't excuse the content ID behavior :\

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
President Nintendo says please stare at the wall in silence while waiting for our next release thank you

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Huge loss for people that just want to hear some of their favourite OSTs of all time in the only way they really can.

Hoping Nintendo eventually comes to their senses and just puts their mountain of untapped OSTs onto streaming services, even if it takes a while for them to come to this conclusion.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
God damn, I'm just imagining him getting an email for each complaint and having to clear out 3500 emails in two days. That's a little ridiculous, but Nintendo always likes to make examples of people skirting their rather specific copyright interpretations.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
At this point I got to imagine there's a legal reason Nintendo doesn't sell or stream their music commercially. Lack of a dedicated staff to manage it? Would they want to handle it or would they team up with a music publisher? In Japan they release soundtrack CDs for their games all the time - the only CDs that make it to the west are usually part of some preorder bonus or collector's edition. There's got to be some blocker that stops them from just selling the music, stand-alone, in the west.

Still doesn't excuse the content ID behavior :\
NOA said they would have to manage it, like a business unit. The context was not streaming, but CDs.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Like, legally Nintendo is in the right here, I get it. But practically, having those OSTs up on youtube generates more interest in not only the music but the game itself. It's often an extremely helpful way to show someone some cool piece of music that could intrigue them to checking out the game. You can't really say "alright well if you buy this soundtrack and check out Track 13, you might see that this is your kind of thing". The songs being up on Spotify or something could help, hopefully that happens, but it still isn't as elegant.

I respect that there's really no legal justification for having these songs just uploaded like this but I really feel like they were likely doing more good than harm for Nintendo. Most people listening to a song on youtube aren't going to buy an album, I dunno.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huge loss for people that just want to hear some of their favourite OSTs of all time in the only way they really can.

Hoping Nintendo eventually comes to their senses and just puts their mountain of untapped OSTs onto streaming services, even if it takes a while for them to come to this conclusion.
It honestly feels like they don't have a departement for creating and handling this type of revenue stream, and nobody close to the top of the company wants to push to create one. Which is a shame, its would be a good flow of cash for them.