• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S frame rate comparison comparing the games framerate/fps in the campaign using the 120fps and Ray Tracing modes. Subscribe for more gaming tech analysis: http://bit.ly/VGTechSubscribe

The versions tested were 1.004.000 on PS5 and 1.0.3.0 on Xbox Series X|S (both were using the latest version at the time of testing). The 120fps mode was captured at 1080p. Ray tracing was enabled in the 60fps mode tested on PS5 and Xbox Series X which uses a form of ray tracing for certain shadows. Xbox Series S doesn't have a 120fps mode or a ray tracing mode.

0:00 - PS5 120fps and Xbox Series X 120fps
7:30 - PS5 RT, Xbox Series X RT and Xbox Series S There was an issue on PS5 where the frame rate could randomly drop below 60fps during scenes that it previously ran at a solid 60fps. T

his issue wasn't encountered on Xbox Series X. https://bit.ly/2IHsqPN

Both PS5 and Series X in the ray tracing mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1800. PS5 at 120fps, Series X at 120fps and Series S use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x1200. PS5 at 120fps, Series X at 120fps and Series S use a form of temporal reconstruction to reconstruct the horizontal resolution up to 2560 when the horizontal resolution is below this figure.

Stats: https://bit.ly/36CvNzp

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
dGVp3jE.png

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Super curious how PS5 holds it frames better here. More optimization time for it due to it being the lead console maybe? Idk I feel like that still doesn't explain it.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this pop-up and watched it. The 120fps mode is a lot better than I thought it would be. Higher-res than I expected and holds 120 mode of the time when on the ground in first-person, just those big helicopter battle moments high over the jungle give it some trouble.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Super curious how PS5 holds it frames better here. More optimization time for it due to it being the lead console maybe? Idk I feel like that still doesn't explain it.
I agree that it probably doesn't explain it. Xbox is the lead platform for Valhalla and PS5 holds frames better on there as well.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
Doesn't Xbox SX use the CPU for audio and data decompression unlike PS5? That could be the reason for these results.

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
Interesting, the series X power difference is not materialising. I wonder If this just a case of Devs having PS5 kits for longer able want the fact that it is an iterative kit dev kit making it easier to program the the Series X GDK kit?

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 consistently seems to punch above its weight in these early comparisons. Hard to draw any conclusions yet if that's due more to efficiencies in its architecture or just familiarity with it coming from the PS4. Series S is also super impressive. All three new hardware profiles are awesome.

Dec 25, 2018

"PS5 at 120fps, Series X at 120fps and Series S use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x1200. PS5 at 120fps, Series X at 120fps and Series S use a form of temporal reconstruction to reconstruct the horizontal resolution up to 2560 when the horizontal resolution is below this figure."

Pinned comment from the uploader in comments

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
[Mod Edit: Removed unverified source DM chain]

Last edited by a moderator:

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I still remember when some thought the PS5 GPU was an overclocked 8tf gpu... But this is really nice seeing both seems being able to provide a some what decent 120hz experience. Also I would rather have a higher resolution, over using ray traced shadows. This game seems pretty solid overall, will likely pick it up down the line.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
There could be multiple things at play. It has a power advantage just like the PS5 has an SSD speed advantage. Drawing a conclusion now is not the right call IMO.
If the series x can't handle 120fps for launch games than it's not looking too good for the future. Sony at least didn't scream from the mountain tops about it and their system can actually pull it off without giant drops.

edit: so it's because of new dev kits.

Last edited:

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Series x power advantage is obviously a bunch of hoopla.

120 FPS is just gonna be better on ps5 this gen.

That's a pretty big assumption based on a handful of cross gen launch titles.

We know that MS is using more of the RDNA2 spec and those tools are much less mature at this point. We've been told by insiders it's why there are less XSX than PS5s in the wild and why tools are less mature

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
3 things:

1) It's early in the gen on brand new hardware, it will take time for devs to get fully up to speed
2) The PS5 dev tools are simply better and more mature right now
3) It turns out Sony wasn't lying about "fast and narrow" having some benefits over "wide and slow"

Ultimatly the machines are very close to each other, and that's the best possible outcome.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
If the series x can't handle 120fps for launch games than it's not looking too good for the future. Sony at least didn't scream from the mountain tops about it and their system can actually pull it off without giant drops.
Launch games are rarely an indicator of what consoles are capable of. They are almost always compromised by under-developed tools, rushed production, etc.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think I am crazy, because looking the graphic sheet and watching the video looks like both consoles perform almost exactly the same?

Yes, they are just about neck and neck.

The PS5 has a 3 fps advantage on average in the 120hz mode and XBSX has a 0.01 FPS average advantage in the 60 FPS mode.

They're practically interchangeable. I have a feeling a lot of multi-plat games this gen may be like this.

Jun 23, 2019

See, the problem with this is that consumers are very fickle when it comes to optics. We've been seeing for months that Series X is stronger and rightfully so hardware wise. So when these first games come out and the PS5 is constantly punching above its weight, thats going to start getting questions from consumers and start painting narratives. MS needs to get on these dev tools and quick.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Series x power advantage is obviously a bunch of hoopla.

120 FPS is just gonna be better on ps5 this gen.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. The consoles are close in power and the Series X sdk is coming in hot while the PS5 sdk was an evolution of the PS4 one and was available earlier. Not to mention that the GPU design (slim and fast over the wide and slower design of XSX) is almost certainly more beneficial for cross gen games due to the manner in which the games are coded.

Doesn't Xbox SX use the CPU for audio and data decompression unlike PS5? That could be the reason for these results.

The Series X and presumably S have their own audio chip and stuff for data decompression. Regardless, both the PS5 and XSX CPUs are 4x faster than the last gen consoles so even if the PS5 CPU did have an advantage on account of not doing decompression and audio, both systems would be able to easily maintain 120FPS if the game was a CPU bound 60fps on current gen. The likely answer is PS5 being the lead platform, PS5 having a more mature sdk that was an evolution of PS4 and the Xbox devs needing to optimize for both Series S and Series X. Not to mention that the PS5 hardware is more similar to PS4 Pro hardware (36CUs vs 36CUs) meaning that the code for the game (being cross gen) was easier to optimize between systems

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, the series X power difference is not materialising. I wonder If this just a case of Devs having PS5 kits for longer able want the fact that it is an iterative kit dev kit making it easier to program the the Series X GDK kit?
There's never any one reason for things like this. It's probably multiple factors but both consoles are so close in raw performance that I can't see anyone being unhappy with how their's is running.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That is a good flippin' framerate on all three consoles.

It's a great look for COD at the launch of three new sets of hardware. Remember when Ghosts launched with PS4 and Xbox One and had drops to the 30s and 40s on both consoles? And one console was 720p and the other was 1080p? Can't not be happy with these.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
So far we've had DMC5, Valhalla and COD all performing very similarly. Still early days, but I think this bodes well for everyone if both consoles can perform so closely to one another

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
These consoles are closer in power than ever before. I'm not surprised that they run pretty much the same.

Last gen the more powerful console was much more clear.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
As expected very similar performance. Maybe in the future with better tools Xbox will perform slighty better but i'm predicting very small differences. Nothing like PS4 - Xbox or Xbox One X - PS4 Pro.