• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Not a good look for MS to be honest. I mean that opening cutscene even saw drops.......Yeah I understand "Tools" and all that but you want to come out swinging when you launch a console.
You understand tools, but it's a matter of how mature they are. It's been said a few times now that the PS5 dev tools are similar to PS4, while Xbox Series X/S are brand new for this generation, and came in late.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The devkits were late due to Microsoft waiting for AMD to finish full RDNA2 and according to MS Xbox are now the only console to support full RDNA2.

Keep in mind that is the Microsoft centric narrative. The narrative from the Sony camp (eg their engineers on social media etc) is that the PS5 doesn't use certain features because it uses custom stuff, or as one of their engineers put it, features that aren't part of any RDNA architecture at present, and might in future be part of RDNA3 or further.

Sony has (as of the last few generations) been relatively tight lipped about its custom API and subsequent features outside of discussing AMD specific stuff or using predominantly AMD terminology (perhaps due to marketing obligations to AMD, who knows), whereas Microsoft has always been super vocal about theirs, advertising every little feature and even creating entire glossaries for all the different terms.

All we have on the Sony front is a huge number of patents about different API features and tools, none of which they've officially talked about, and perhaps never will.

Last edited:

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
But you must be able to tell if a game drops down from say 60 to 30. The motion will just be more jagged?
Yes of course, but no game does that. If it's targeting 60 it might drop to the mid 50s sometimes. Without VRR you will either get stuttering or tearing when that happens because the display is out of sync with the frame rate. VRR fixes that problem.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these comments are embarrassing. MS tools are apparently late and less mature, so I expect XSX games will improve. That said, Sony's tools will improve as well. Maybe not as much so, but regardless, I expect the differences in MP games to be negligible as most expected.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
I guessed before launch that PS5 would probably have better looking/performing games the first couple of years based off the high praise it was getting by devs about it being super easy to develop for. I do think Xbox will eventually show off it's power advantage when devs get more familiar(especially 1st party)

At the end of the day tho, these consoles are super close in power so that is a win for us. It will come down to ecosystems, features(like the dual sense) and services like gamepass for most consumers.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Some of these comments are embarrassing. MS tools are apparently late and less mature, so I expect XSX games will improve. That said, Sony's tools will improve as well. Maybe not as much so, but regardless, I expect the differences in MP games to be negligible as most expected.
Precisely that, I don't think we'll see much of a difference between both the PS5 and XSX with 3rd party games. Where both will shine is in their 1st party games.

Oct 27, 2017

The answer here is actually pretty easy in relation to Microsoft and Sony. Sony only needs tools for the Playstation family. Anything from the full RDNA toolset that isn't in their product, they can create a bespoke version of it or simply go without. Microsoft can not due to their need to have alignment with PC. Direct X and many other things should be in alignment with all platforms. Not everyone is following the nerd stuff but this kind of information was out there as late as July

www.thurrott.com

The Latest on Xbox Game Core - Thurrott.com

Microsoft's latest Game Core update brings it closer to release as the company prepares for its next-generation Xbox launch.

With the next generation of the Xbox console, Microsoft is working on a new development environment called Game Core. The environment is now available to developers building titles for the series X and series S (Lockhart) but it's not quite finished yet and won't be finished before the release of the upcoming consoles.

Late last month, information pertaining to Lockhart showed up in the June release of the Game Development Kit, or GDK, and that same documentation has more information about Game Core's current status.

The purpose of Game Core is two-fold, to make it easier to develop games for the two SKUs of series X/S and it is designed to make game development closer to that of building a traditional Windows 10 application.

Considering Game Core is all new, not everything will be ready for the launch of the consoles. While developers can now use the June 2020 release for games that will head to retail, features like "Multi-process games in Game Core" will not arrive until after launch. There is a work-around for this in the current release, so fret not that this means games can't be multi-threaded.

The takeaway here is that Microsoft's Game Core is moving full-steam ahead and will be ready for launch later this year. But it's not complete and there are quite a few bugs/optimization that need to be worked out before all the functionality meets the targeted spec sheet when the project was first started.

Or like Dictator has speculated on B3D

Regardless of what devs say - I think it makes more sense if the XSX GPU has features from RDNA 2 that the PS5 GPU does not (VRS, SFS, and mesh shaders being an advancement on primitive shaders). Xbox Series X having a bigger more feature rich GPU would align with the time tables we know about this gen. That PS5 was originally going to launch in 2019, that Xbox Series X was waiting on silicon and hardware for longer and as a result sent its dev kits out much later. It is also presumably why the PS5 development environment and SDK is much more performant, stable, and user friendly than the one for XSX as they have had more time with the near final hardware.

Ultimately, it is premature to judge these consoles now as Microsoft is late to the party with their tools being in order. However, there is more than 17% greater TF difference at work here if the feature set is more robust in Microsoft's console. I do believe those technologies will show their purpose as this generation carries on.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Everyone should want parity between these consoles. I'm tired of the wars... Having just one generation where nobody focuses on the differences but the actual games themselves would honestly be amazing (and a first).

I hope this keeps being the case. I hope they keep running and looking just as great as eachother.

lol

This is the place that had people saying they'd boycott any multiplat Xbox One X game that ran at the same settings as the PS4 Pro version.

So no, there's definitely a certain segment of users here that absolutely don't want parity.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone is following the nerd stuff but this kind of information was out there as late as July
GDK/gamecore was introduced in 2019. It's easily more mature than anything xbox consoles launched with in the past 3 gens. Of course, there's always improvements going to be coming all the way up to launch, but that goes for all consoles, ps5 quite clearly has stuff coming in hot as well.

Or like Dictator has speculated on B3D
This one is better as it actually is speculative. Problem is its speculation based on nothing material though.
Eg. 17% delta was something that has no need of exploiting exclusive hw features. Arguing to look for special sauce as an explanation of missing paper targets isn't really making much sense.

Secondary part is that similar speculation exists for PS5 gpu features that negate/supercede some of that list as well (VRS and geo shaders in particular). But of course we have no actual info on that either.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
A bit off topic but why did Dark1x stop posting here anyway?

Anyway, looking forward to see more comparisons between the two especially with Cyberpunk coming out soon.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Could've any number of reasons. I remember there was an embarrassing PS5 thread a while ago that had gotten pretty fanboytastic. It made Era look really bad. I wouldn't be surprised if Dark1x took a break for mental health reasons or he could be busy with work. Either way, I'd stay away from Era right now, and judging by this thread, I don't blame him.

There are not a lot of technical people here, but there are a lot of wannabes just to push the narrative of their preferred platform.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

www.resetera.com

Digital Foundry - Ion Fury - Every Console Tested - How An Ancient Engine Stresses Current-Gen CPUs

Ion Fury pushes the ancient Build engine - powering classics like Duke Nukem 3D - to its very limits, but fundamentally, how difficult can a port to current-gen consoles be? The answer turns out to be more complex than you might think. John Linnemans checks out the PS4, Xbox One and Switch...

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
3 things:

1) It's early in the gen on brand new hardware, it will take time for devs to get fully up to speed
2) The PS5 dev tools are simply better and more mature right now
3) It turns out Sony wasn't lying about "fast and narrow" having some benefits over "wide and slow"

Ultimatly the machines are very close to each other, and that's the best possible outcome.
This should be quoted in upcoming similar threads until clear difference in performance appears.

DoctorOcho

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You understand tools, but it's a matter of how mature they are. It's been said a few times now that the PS5 dev tools are similar to PS4, while Xbox Series X/S are brand new for this generation, and came in late.

I'm a dev and understand tools. I'm also a gamer and as a gamer, why should I care if Microsoft's tools came in late and are immature? I'm supposed to be getting the most powerful console experience according to all the marketing I've seen. Why aren't I?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm a dev and understand tools. I'm also a gamer and as a gamer, why should I care if Microsoft's tools came in late and are immature? I'm supposed to be getting the most powerful console experience according to all the marketing I've seen. Why aren't I?
Your understanding of tools and development should answer your questions. I seriously can't believe a fellow developer would type this. You being a gamer doesn't erase your development experience so you should understand why. You are not an average consumer.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Lol what the? You are a dev that understands tools and then proceeds to show that you don't understand with your next sentence. Nice

DoctorOcho

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your understanding of tools and development should answer your questions. I seriously can't believe a fellow developer would type this. You being a gamer doesn't erase your development experience so you should understand why. You are not an average consumer.

Spoken like a developer who can't change their mindset beyond technical concerns. Customers shouldn't have to worry about the state of tools. Microsoft decided to market this as the most powerful experience available. Where is the experience that validates that claim? Shouldn't I as a customer expect that I'm getting what I was promised?

I literally worked on developer tools for many years. If I delivered tools that held back a shipping product and impacted the customer experience, I would not keep my job for long. Customers shouldn't have to care about any of this and they should be free to judge based on what is currently shipping.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Keep in mind that is the Microsoft centric narrative. The narrative from the Sony camp (eg their engineers on social media etc) is that the PS5 doesn't use certain features because it uses custom stuff, or as one of their engineers put it, features that aren't part of any RDNA architecture at present, and might in future be part of RDNA3 or further.

Sony has (as of the last few generations) been relatively tight lipped about its custom API and subsequent features outside of discussing AMD specific stuff or using predominantly AMD terminology (perhaps due to marketing obligations to AMD, who knows), whereas Microsoft has always been super vocal about theirs, advertising every little feature and even creating entire glossaries for all the different terms.

All we have on the Sony front is a huge number of patents about different API features and tools, none of which they've officially talked about, and perhaps never will.
I would be interested in hearing more about their changes and what Cerny has worked out with AMD. But it's clear to me that those are unlikely to be RDNA3 or RDNA4 features based on the comments Cerny made during the deep dive. I don't think a official Sony staff member has talked about RDNA3 and beyond either.

You know I'll happily eat crow and it's clear to be Cerny made some smart decision and custom changes like the cache scrubbers, but all those RDNA3 stuff are just rumors and in my opinion contradict what Cerny said in his deep dive at around 25 minute mark.

"If you see a similar discrete GPU available as a PC card at roughly the same time as we release your console, that means our collaboration with AMD succeeded in technology being useful in both worlds."

M take on all of this based on the deep dive comments is that Sony made changes that are specific to the needs for PS and those will perhabs never come to RDNA. These changes like chache scrubbers are cool and I won't downplay them. But for what it's worth I don't think there are RDNA3 feature. They are simply custom features, some are now trying to list as RDNA3 features.

To be honest I don't even think it matters for the performance, if those are only for PS or part of RDNA3/4. It's just a name in the end and what matters is wether those specific features are in the consoles or not, because that determines the performance and not what architecture label these features are part of.

Btw watching the deep dive GPU section again Cerny talks about primitive shaders like a Epic developer did afterwards when talking about the UE5 demo. We know RDNA2 PC GPU use mesh shaders (more advanced) and we know Xbox uses them. Thus this is likely one of those "full RDNA2" features.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Everyone seems really hung up on the tools thing, which is a factor as I said, but the number one reason why these games run so similar is because these systems are incredibly close to each other in hardware performance.

It's not much more complicated than that. Tools will get better and devs will get more experience with the hardware, but there is never going to be a giant gulf between the SX and the PS5, or even one nearly as large as between the PS4 and One or Pro and X.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
The thing is, in the end it's not really important the reason why it runs better or not. It is probably indeed cause of less mature tools on XBSX.
But what matters is what the mainstream audience hears in the first months.

PS4 gained a ton of momentum and XBO could never recover cause it was more expensive and every comparison was adantaging the power difference for multiplatform games.
Hell, go back a little, PS3 was more expensive and gave a ton of room to X360, cause it had terrible tools and perf was not as good as it should have been for launch multiplat games.

It matters a lot.
You don't launch a console with immature dev tools. At least worst than your competitor. In an age of framerate and pixel counting wars, it can kill your chances.

Hopefully for Microsoft i think it's more about their business model than anything now i guess.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone seems really hung up on the tools thing, which is a factor as I said, but the number one reason why these games run so similar is because these systems are incredibly close to each other in hardware performance.

It's not much more complicated than that. Tools will get better and devs will get more experience with the hardware, but there is never going to be a giant gulf between the SX and the PS5, or even one nearly as large as between the PS4 and One or Pro and X.
I dont think thats the issue here.

The issue is why the Series X is running worse. Shouldn't be happening and is not a good look tbh, the start of the gen are where narratives are born... Just look at Twitter and Youtube comments. PS5 is winning the power war early.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing as the PS5 will be my console of choice for the new gen (whenever I actually get to own one, that is...) I am very happy it's performant.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Didnt watch the full video. Great this gen is out to be great on all sides.

Are we getting any feedback on how it handles dualsense (if any use at all?)

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

The issue is why the Series X is running worse. Shouldn't be happening and is not a good look tbh, the start of the gen are where narratives are born... Just look at Twitter and Youtube comments. PS5 is winning the power war early.
"Shouldn't be happening" based on...?

The PS5 has a number of hardware advantages over the SX, its better dev environment besides. The problem with the elevation of TF performance as the end all be all of judging hardware is that it doesn't nearly tell the whole story.

The SX does have a modest pure TF advantage that will be better utilized over time, but it's not a blowout by any stretch of imagination. When you have systems as close as these two are, with each having their own positives and negatives, the "winner" of these head to heads won't always be the one with the TF lead.

I expect there to be some PS5 games that match or outperform their SX versions for years to come. Ultimately though games are going to be in general pretty even throughout this gen, and that's a good thing.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform wars and history of past similar behavior
Two weeks ago expectations were that, for sure, go for XsX for better multiplatform performance. And the PS5 would be so so in the BC department.

All that turned on its head.
def gonna be revisiting a lot of this thread when the next round of multiplats come out

The PS5 has a number of hardware advantages over the SX, its better dev environment besides. The problem with the elevation of TF performance as the end all be all of judging hardware is that it doesn't nearly tell the whole story.

The SX does have a modest pure TF advantage that will be better utilized over time, but it's not a blowout by any stretch of imagination. When you have systems as close as these two are, with each having their own positives and negatives, the "winner" of these head to heads won't always be the one with the TF lead.

I expect there to be some PS5 games that match or outperform their SX versions for years to come.
Alright so lol, the xbox is weaker, got it

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
It's looks like the PS5 run better in scenario without RT, probably because the frequency bruteforce the rasterisation and all calculations, when the XsX hold better in RT scenario.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017

Im sorry this isn't directed at you because I get what you mean but if people need to win a "power war" for like 5 FPS is select scenes, they really need to step outside for a little. It would be impossible to even see without throwing it through some tools. God I hate console wars

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Spoken like a developer who can't change their mindset beyond technical concerns. Customers shouldn't have to worry about the state of tools. Microsoft decided to market this as the most powerful experience available. Where is the experience that validates that claim? Shouldn't I, as a customer expect that I'm getting what I was promised?

I literally worked on developer tools for many years. If I delivered tools that held back a shipping product and impacted the customer experience, I would not keep my job for long. Customers shouldn't have to care about any of this and they should be free to judge based on what is currently shipping.
I've been doing this for a long time, and of course, I can't turn it off. I've worked on generations of implementing GPU features, and it seems like it gets harder each time due to technological advancements. Building on an already stable foundation makes it easy, but it creates a domino effect from top to bottom when the underlying architecture changes. Should customers suffer, the right answer is no, but given the nature of the beast, things like this will happen.

have both next-gen systems, so I am not making an excuse for Microsoft's supposed GPU advantage or Sony's supposed SSD speed advantage.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Two weeks ago expectations were that, for sure, go for XsX for better multiplatform performance. And the PS5 would be so so in the BC department.

All that turned on its head.

I mean, did it? We had been hearing for a while that the Xbox GDK was behind where the PS5 development kit was at. The differences look like a difference in maturity in software.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
I suggest watching the video, there are a lot of drops on both consoles and it's clear that:
- the PS5 has the constant lead
- VRR is a must

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
What a ridiculous response to my post.
That's clearly not what he said.
That's not what he said...
PS5 has:
- Better dev tools
- Several hardware advantages of XSX
- The I/O SSD capabilities
- Will have games that match or outperform their SX versions for years to come despite the XSX labeled as the "most powerful console"

XSX:
- TF advantage that is almost ALWAYS accompanied by a disclaimer that TF doesn't mean much, if anything (even in the very post above)

Not sure how else it's supposed to be interpreted? But sure, I'll wait for the GDK to "mature" and see where we are at in 1-3 years.

Frustrating because I just wanted one console to outperform the other clearly, made it so easy to know for a while there to always pick up the PS4 version (prior to 1x launch) of games instead of waiting for DF analysis and picking between different positives and negatives.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
PS5 has:
- Better dev tools
- Will have games that match or outperform their SX versions for years to come despite the XSX labeled as the "most powerful console"

XSX:
- TF advantage that is almost ALWAYS accompanied by a disclaimer that TF doesn't mean much, if anything (even in the very post above)

Not sure how else it's supposed to be interpreted? But sure, I'll wait for the GDK to "mature" and see where we are at in 1-3 years.

Frustrating because I just wanted one console to outperform the other clearly, made it so easy to know for a while there to always pick up the PS4 version (prior to 1x launch) of games instead of waiting for DF analysis and picking between different positives and negatives.
They're so close it's not really going to matter which you buy.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

I expect there to be some PS5 games that match or outperform their SX versions for years to come. Ultimately though games are going to be in general pretty even throughout this gen, and that's a good thing.

Is this why Series X performed better on DMCV 4K mode versus Performance mode where PS5 faired better (1080p)?

Seems the raw GPU advantage is better suited for high res. Am I correct in assuming that?

Again, DMCV is such a poor job on both consoles not sure it's even a good comparison to begin with.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Is this why Series X performed better on DMCV 4K mode versus Performance mode where PS5 faired better (1080p)?

Seems the raw GPU advantage is better suited for high res. Am I correct in assuming that?

Again, DMCV is such a poor job on both consoles not sure it's even a good comparison to begin with.
Would make sense "fast and narrow" seems to deliver more on FR/120fps from what we've seen thus far?

How do you explain all that screen tearing on ACV? Again w/ CPU differences?

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
PS5 has:
- Better dev tools

XSX:

Does it really matter? They are super close. Do you really need the version that performs 1-2 frames better than the other which you obviously wouldn't have known if DF didn't tell you? You only have yourself to blame for being frustrated.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The results are solid, but I'm a bit disappointed at there not being a 120fps mode on Series S, even if it had to be low-res.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Would make sense "fast and narrow" seems to deliver more on FR/120fps from what we've seen thus far?

How do you explain all that screen tearing on ACV? Again w/ CPU differences?

Lack of vsync? If you go back to X360 days, x360 multiplatform games usually have more tearing than PS3. I clearly remember AC, Lost Planet among many others having more tearing on X360.

Maybe MS isn't forcing vsync in thier dev kits.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is not at all surprising.

These consoles are extremely close in power, and are ALSO taking some different approaches in architecture (wide and slow, fast and narrow). Because of this, the slightly more powerful console doing things one way will sometimes outperform the slightly weaker console that does things another way, and sometimes the opposite will be true, like in this game.

I'm sure there will be plenty of games that are ever so slightly better on PS5, and plenty that will be ever so slightly better on Series X. Absolutely ideal situation for gamers.