• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
And Gears is 30 fps only in 4k mode.
So will RE2. The softness in RE2 has nothing to do with performance. It's entirely down to it's TAA implementation...RE7 was the exact same so I'm not sure why people were expecting it to be any different with RE2, especially since you could see the heavy TAA and post processing in the gameplay footage itself.

While TAA naturally causes some blur, it's the implementation that matters. Gears 4 uses TAA as well and it's one of the sharpest games I've played this gen because UE4 has a very good TAA solution in general.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looked to me like 40-50 on base ps4, seems like i was kinda on the money! hoping the full version gets closer to 60

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On Reddit I read that the demo on Pro apparently has significantly more aliasing whereas it doesn't on X due to more aggressive AA. Wasn't that the case with RE7 as well? That would explain it then. I really didn't notice much jaggies if at all yesterday in the demo on X.

It's great to have jaggies gone but a softer image sucks all the same. Hope they can find a solution for that next gen.
Yea basically you need a really high resolution these days to overcome the softness that comes from this fucking temporal AA that every developer seems to love these days.
Red Dead Redemption 2 spoiled me with that crisp and clean 4K image.
I think I will just buy it on Steam then for the G-sync, it's a shame because I would've preferred to play it on the big screen.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
So will RE2. The softness in RE2 has nothing to do with performance. It's entirely down to it's TAA implementation...RE7 was the exact same so I'm not sure why people were expecting it to be any different with RE2, especially since you could see the heavy TAA and post processing in the gameplay footage itself.

While TAA naturally causes some blur, it's the implementation that matters. Gears 4 uses TAA as well and it's one of the sharpest games I've played this gen because UE4 has a very good TAA solution in general.
I don't know what's so good in UE4 taa, its also very blurry. But Gears 4 has sharpening filter which helps a little, but still not ideal (and Reshade Adaptive Sharpening filter helps with RE7 šŸ˜Ž)

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what's so good in UE4 taa, its also very blurry. But Gears 4 has sharpening filter which helps a little, but still not ideal (and Reshade Adaptive Sharpening filter helps with RE7 šŸ˜Ž)
Well UE4's TAA is good at eliminating pixel crawl, RE2/RE7 is the same but it's noticeable a bit blurrier than Gears. A sharpen filter I feel is pretty much needed when using TAA. I always use lumasharpen when I can, although I doubt it'll make RE2 as crisp as Gears 4 even with sharpening. Unless I use adaptive sharpening which I never liked because I find it to cause some artifacts in some games due to how strong it is.

Oct 26, 2017
Yea basically you need a really high resolution these days to overcome the softness that comes from this fucking temporal AA that every developer seems to love these days.
I think I will just buy it on Steam then for the G-sync, it's a shame because I would've preferred to play it on the big screen.

At least we still have the resolution mode to look forward to. That should come close to RDR2 I think.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Pro version looks and performs incredible for anyone who can't or doesn't have a capable PC of running this.

Also, while things *may* change in the final game, for this demo, the TAA in the XBX version is really heavy and makes it look a worse compared to the Pro version in terms of IQ/Clarity.

Pro to the left XBX to the right.

untitled0ecl7.png

untitledg8fid.png

5s7epx.png

Pro above, XBX below:

33nfd3.png

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Pro version looks and performs incredible for anyone who can't or doesn't have a capable PC of running this.

Also, while things *may* change in the final game, for this demo, the TAA in the XBX version is really heavy and makes it look a worse compared to the Pro version in terms of IQ/Clarity.

untitled0ecl7.png

untitledg8fid.png

5s7epx.png

Pro above, XBX below:

33nfd3.png
Yea fuck getting in on the Xbox, I'll play on PC where we can toggle this stupid shit off.
Why do developers do this, is there absolutely fucking no one on the entire staff that just says "wait hold the fuck up, is this actually a good idea".

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yea fuck getting in on the Xbox, I'll play on PC where we can toggle this stupid shit off.
Why do developers do this, is there absolutely fucking no one on the entire staff that just says "wait hold the fuck up, is this actually a good idea".

The PC version is actually a good case of why TAA works, playing it on anything but TAA will make everything look noisy/shimmery all over. TAA works, they just need to sharpen it up a bit or add a sharpness toggle for the player.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Been locked in on PS4 Pro since announce, but that's owing largely to me having bought and played all the other RE releases on PS4 this generation. It's one of my favorite series, and I wanted to keep it all on one platform (and have all the discs collected together -- I'm digital-only on XB1X), because I'm strange like that. I'll grab it again on my X on sale in the future, but probably not until it's going down to around $20 for the Deluxe Edition, so I imagine that's a couple years down the road at least. I hope the final version takes advantage of the X a lot better, and I do acknowledge that this demo build is far from final -- I'm guessing it's really just the playable E3 build with the 30 minute timer and online-connection-DRM added on.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

untitled0ecl7.png

untitledg8fid.png

5s7epx.png

Pro above, XBX below:

33nfd3.png

Christ that looks awful on Xbox.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

untitled0ecl7.png

untitledg8fid.png

5s7epx.png

Pro above, XBX below:

33nfd3.png
The blur on the XBX version is awful. It's even worse than the blur on RDR2 on Pro compared to the XBX version. Maybe they thought the XBX had enough grunt to use TXAA but it's not a good solution particularly combined with Chromatic aberration, vignetting and film grain.

It's really odd that Digital Foundry still didn't make an article about it (they didn't wait one second to make an article about the blur on the infamous RDR2 Pro version). Maybe they are waiting for the release build to see if the devs remove the heavy blur on XBX ?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's really odd that Digital Foundry still didn't make an article about it (they didn't wait one second to make an article about the blur on the Pro version). Maybe they are waiting for the release build to see if the devs remove the heavy blur on XBX ?

NXGamer just put up a video

Can a mod please add this to the OP and change title as something general like Resident Evil 2 Demo Performance Analysis VGTech/NXGamer ?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
So this should run at 60fps downsampled to 1080p ezpz on the pro right?

Plum

May 31, 2018

untitled0ecl7.png

untitledg8fid.png

5s7epx.png

Pro above, XBX below:

33nfd3.png

Just cancelled my Xbox One pre-order due to this. If the final release is less blurry then I'll go for it but if not I'll just wait until I get a PC to play that version.

Oct 26, 2017
Guys don't forget this is performance mode though. Resolution mode will obviously look a lot better. But it definitely sucks for the performance mode players.

But is it true that the aliasing is significantly worse compared to X? I'm not sure which one I would choose if I had both Pro and X. I hate aliasing but a soft image isn't exactly great. Although if you up your TV sharpness you can get it to look crisper.

For some reason Chandoog's image aren't loading here. It's all empty for me.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Deciding between PS4 Pro and PC. My PC isn't good enough to max it out, gonna try the demo on both to help me decide where to get it.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TAA is great, primarily because it cleans up a lot of jaggies and maintains a smooth image. While the blur can be strong, I find it preferable to the alternative. And even then, you can use ReShade to counter the blur with lumasharpen. Used it in RE7, and it was a notable improvement.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Average of 50fps is not bad actually, rather play it at 1080p 50fps

1080p/50 is only suitable if you're running on a 50hz display. Locked 50 FPS on a 60hz display will cause a lot of judder and make it really annoying to play. Locked 50 FPS on a 50hz display though, will look and play extremely smoothly, just about as good as locked 60 on a 60hz display.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
30 minute raw-play of the XB1X version. Clarity seemed solid, and especially seeing a comment on the image supposedly having a higher green value, I'm wondering if the captures in the OP have some unrelated settings influencing them.

21:28 has my footage of the window approach shown in this post, and I'm not seeing what that still seems to be showing re: the green tint. It's possible this is down to display calibration.

Last edited:

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I really hope the final version is much more polished, there were many inconsistencies. But the potential is grand! Lack of polish would be really jarring on a game like Resident Evil 2. I have waited so long for this game, I could have waited even longer if helped polish things up. But we will see, the built is really really old. Man I cannot believe we are getting REmake 2 in two weeks.... HYPE!

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
it's so sick that AAA devs are aiming for 60fps nowadays AND also making visually impressive games, next-gen is gonna be sweet
godspeed 30fps

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I could tell there was a reconstruction technique going around on consoles as soon as I booted up the PC version. Tested both PC and XBX on the same 1440p monitor and it looks much, much cleaner on PC at native 1440p. It's like if the image has noise on consoles.

Did you turn off the film noise option on the console version?

I tried both the XB1X and PS4 Pro versions of the demo and while they both generally look about the same the noise my PS4 Pro creates during gameplay and even the title screen is ludicrous. Def going with the XB1X version because that machine stays whisper quiet even during intense action. I want to experience the audio of the game not a jet engine in the background about to lift off.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

untitled0ecl7.png

untitledg8fid.png

5s7epx.png

Pro above, XBX below:

33nfd3.png

Could this be because XBX version uses less detailed assets due to the base XBO build compromises?

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe it's like that because the X enhancement patch isn't on the demo? It very well could be when the game releases we'll see an X enhanced patch that will make the game incredibly detailed. Anyone know if the devs have confirmed this?

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Why are people constantly saying that the demo is an old build ? Do we have an indication for that to be true ?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

untitled0ecl7.png

untitledg8fid.png

5s7epx.png

Pro above, XBX below:

33nfd3.png

What the heck is going on with the X version? It should be at least on par with the Pro in asset quality if not exceed it.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
What the heck is going on with the X version? It should be at least on par with the Pro in asset quality if not exceed it.

Something tells me that the X patch is not present on the demo so it's not using the higher quality assets. That's just a guess though, not sure if that's been confirmed or not.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Could this be because XBX version uses less detailed assets due to the base XBO build compromises?

NXGamer put out a detailed analysis and they didn''t mention anything like difference in asset/texture quality.

Wasn't there a debug trick to see if a game is Scorpio enhanced on the XBX's dash ? can someone check that please ?

I think it's time for Sony to step up their firmware. 50 fps with Freesync is amazing.

For someone who doesn't have a Gsync/Freesync device, on PC (if you have a supported monitor) 50hz gaming is also pretty great. If your game cannot maintain a solid 60 but you don't want to make visual compromises, 1080p/50 feels neigh indistinguishable and gives your CPU/GPU more breathing room.

Oct 25, 2017
On Reddit I read that the demo on Pro apparently has significantly more aliasing whereas it doesn't on X due to more aggressive AA. Wasn't that the case with RE7 as well? That would explain it then. I really didn't notice much jaggies if at all yesterday in the demo on X.

It's great to have jaggies gone but a softer image sucks all the same. Hope they can find a solution for that next gen.

Solution will be native 4K.

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
What does reconstructed mean? Like checkerboard or upscaled or?

Performance aside, I really hope the final game has been fixed with it's weird treatment of blacks and such.

I noticed you mentioned blacks, so do you have an HDR set ? HDR only look good on the room where the cop gets torn in half before you obtain he's note book.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Is the HDR in this good enough to pass on a PC version? My pc is great but my monitor doesn't support HDR.

Edit: sounds like it is

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
This is a quick 4K 60 FPS capture I took on my Xbox One X, it personally looks amazing to me.