• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

1p0k7m.png

2s6k0j.png

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
They need to make the dynamic resolution more aggressive

Last edited:

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Considering its impossible to maintain a locked 60fps on PC that Series S performance is really impressive despite the resolution. A locked 60fps will always take precedence over resolution for me so if I was to pick up the game in future I'd seriously consider the Series S version over the PC version.

Between this, Mass Effect Legendary and Outriders, it's a little absurd the amount of games stacking up that maintain a better 60fps lock without stuttering on my ÂŁ220 Series S vs. the PC I've spent nearly ÂŁ1500 on is a little troubling.

PC has been my primary gaming platform for a long time but games like this aren't a great advert for it. Given stock availability for PS5/Series X/GPUs being able to just jump on Amazon and drop ÂŁ250 on a 60fps next gen machine is a fantastic option vs. the stress and cost of trying to buy a PC GPU or a PS5 right now.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Considering its impossible to maintain a locked 60fps on PC that Series S performance is really impressive despite the resolution. A locked 60fps will always take precedence over resolution for me so if I was to pick up the game in future I'd seriously consider the Series S version over the PC version.

Between this, Mass Effect Legendary and Outriders, it's a little absurd the amount of games stacking up that maintain a better 60fps lock without stuttering on my ÂŁ220 Series S vs. the PC I've spent nearly ÂŁ1500 on is a little troubling.

PC has been my primary gaming platform for a long time but games like this aren't a great advert for it. Given stock availability for PS5/Series X/GPUs being able to just jump on Amazon and drop ÂŁ250 on a 60fps next gen machine is a fantastic option vs. the stress and cost of trying to buy a PC GPU or a PS5 right now.
I wonder if the PC version ever got performance updates? Tried playing it at launch with a 3080 and i7 9700k and it was basically impossible for me to maintain 60fps (particularly while driving) no matter what combination of settings I tried

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
.02 fps higher framerate on ps5. Xbox destroyed.
Average framerate are meaningless when it's not vsynced and the game exhibits screen tearning. You need to look at the average frame-time:

PS5 16.67ms: 99.58%
XSX 16.67ms: 97.66%.

So basically the XSX tears 2.33% of the time (PS5 0.42%). The screen tearing is very much noticeable on XSX and quite rare on PS5.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
They never fixed it in Immortals, so I doubt they'll fix it here

Screen tearing is always a developer choice. For that reason, I don't expect it to be "fixed" as they've chosen for the frame to tear rather than duplicate a frame.

Perhaps the Series X gets a more aggressive resolution scaler closer to the the PS5 setup, as it is a poor showing when the best performing console in the game is delivering the lowest framerates due to the dynamic resolution parameters that are set.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
I've never played anything in the series, is Legion worth $20?

I think so (I nabbed it full price Day One with no regrets) but some people really dislike this game.

I personally consider it right behind W2 and it actually does some things better, like combat. Also, the recruit anyone mechanics - while not fully realized - are still very interesting.

And it looks and plays great with this new 60fps option.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Average framerate are meaningless when it's not vsynced and the game exhibits screen tearning. You need to look at the average frame-time:

PS5 16.67ms: 99.58%
XSX 16.67ms: 97.66%.

So basically the XSX tears 2.33% of the time (PS5 0.42%). The screen tearing is very much noticeable on XSX and quite rare on PS5.
I believe they are joking

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It's interesting how the Series X (and I assume they are still using the old SDK version here), both hits the highest frame time and the lowest frame time compared to PS5 (meaning it sometimes renders frames faster and could be internally rendering a slightly faster framerate at times, but also has moments when it would drop slightly lower).

That kind of suggests to me that PS5's overclock is doing a good job of keeping things more consistent rather than slightly overpowering the Xbox here. Either that, or Xbox's System-wide VRR supports actually causes some devs/QA to miss torn frames and frame drops, therefore missing optimization edge cases.

I personally haven't noticed any dropped frames or screen tearing on Series X since I'm playing with VRR enabled. The framerate was impressive. Honestly, this is an impressive patch all around. Even Series S holds up great. It does suffer a bit in the image quality department, but it plays amazing now.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
That kind of suggests to me that PS5's overclock is doing a good job of keeping things more consistent rather than slightly overpowering the Xbox here. Either that, or Xbox's System-wide VRR supports actually causes some devs/QA to miss torn frames and frame drops, therefore missing optimization edge cases.

WDL averages 175 watt on the PS5 and 135 watt on the X. Game is underutilizing both consoles and in the case of the X/S, significantly.

205 watt is the peak we've seen for PS5 in multiple games, and 211 watt (Gears 5) is the peak we've seen for X.

image0.png

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
WDL averages 175 watt on the PS5 and 135 watt on the X. Game is underutilizing both consoles and in the case of the X/S, significantly.

205 watt is the peak we've seen for PS5 in multiple games, and 211 watt (Gears 5) is the peak we've seen for X.

image0.png
Am I the only one that actually feels this is a good trade off? If it can run the game this well and use 80 or so less watts that's not bad.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Are there any texture quality, lighting, AO etc difference between the two modes ?

From what I've seen, you get less light bounce with RT turned off, so you'll see a bit less color bouncing around the environment and reflections, but it's a very subtle difference. The textures look great at 60fps, and really, there's no reason to dial those down anyways.

Otherwise it looks pretty much identical, it just looks smoother in my experience, and even the reflections often look great and similar so long as you don't tilt your camera down too far as the reflections will fade out as the objects are no longer in view (as all screen-space reflections work). I actually thought it was running at higher resolutions since the image looked so good in areas (like the alleyway at the beginning of my video), but apparently it's not.

It's not really a comparison, but here's the 4k 60 footage I took from Series X. I can possibly do a comparison video of a few scenes if you'd like.

youtu.be

Watch Dogs Legion - 60 FPS Update - Xbox Series X - 4K

A Quick bit of chaos through the streets of Watch Dogs Legion on Xbox Series X, showing off the brand new 60fps Update. This so far seems like an excellent ...

Wavves

Oct 27, 2017
I've been holding out for a 60 fps update on Series X and look at that tearing.

Shaz12567

Jun 7, 2021
This is such a badly optimized game on all platforms. I keep getting hitching and stuttering while driving across London on a 3080/9900k at 4k very high settings with RTX Ultra and DLSS Performance. Night time is especially worse in this regard. Limiting FPS to 60 on PC does help, but the one odd stutter or so still passes through. Shockingly, it runs buttery smooth on the PS5 with the 60 fps patch in comparison but the visual downgrade relative to PC is huge. With the ray tracing disabled, all cars stick out like a sore thumb with a matte finish paint. They didn't bother to improve the SSR implementation to make ray tracing look good as it usually doesn't look this bad (check Mafia 1 definitive edition, almost looks like ray tracing reflections with SSR). The pop in and anti aliasing just looks horrible so it looks like I either have to sit through the stutters on PC to get next gen graphics or play a last-gen graphics game on PS5.