• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
You couldn't make it up

Ms Sadó was awarded a trophy and a vibrator for getting the top spot in the squash championship in northern Spain.

The women in second, third and fourth places won an electronic foot file or hair removal wax.

MO3rQmF.jpg

The women sent the prizes to the local squash federation along with a letter of complaint. Officials at Squash Oviedo, the club that organised the event, have stepped down over the incident, according to the federation

Ms Sadó said she was pleased that the incident had got people across Spain talking about sexism in sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48348431

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Having a hard time understanding how someone thought this was a good reward. Supposed to be a jab that she won't get a partner?

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, that's ridiculous and dumb. I don't get the thought process of someone thinking that was going to be an ok prize for a squash tournament or any sporting event for that matter...

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't found any other source besides the Daily Mail, but they said the men just received trophies. Why the fuck didn't they do that for the women too?

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The only thing i can think if is they were just sponsors and that's the crap they sent and nobody thought for even a second.
I'm looking at the other rewards:
https://i./1s/2019/05/21/11/13757288-7053259-image-m-87_1558434292281.jpg
And it seems these are different brands (unless they all fall under the same parent company?). If it were the case, though, I suspect 'pamper baskets' may have been more appropriate. Pretty shoddy and stingy nonetheless, though.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
I mean if you're gonna have sex toys be a prize at least make it a Lelo or something.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the title meant that a vibrator won the top prize at a squash (as in, the vegetable) competition.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
https://nypost.com/2019/05/22/female-squash-stars-furious-after-given-vibrators-as-tournament-prize/

A group of champion female squash players slammed the Spanish tournament they won as sexist after being given vibrators as a prize.

The incident took place after the winner of the Asturias Squash Championship 2019, Elisabet Sado Garriga, received her prize along with runner-up Olaya Fernandez Lence.

Third-place winner Marina Arraiza Mier and fourth-place winner Cristina Barandica Fernandez also were given gifts. The prizes for the four included a "Pure Fantasy" vibrator from Durex, a waxing set and an electronic exfoliator for their feet.

The vibrator is sold as an "elegant personal stimulator designed to give you sensual pleasure." The winners reportedly filed a complaint with the country's squash federation for sexism and discrimination.

Local radio show "Ganamos Con Ellas" ("We Win With Women") posted a photo of the prizes, describing them as "degrading, shocking, harmful, inconceivable but sadly real."