• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's actually kinda funny, thinking on it now. Outside of a handful of roles, Vic never really made himself a household name. His biggest opportunity would've been had ADV's dub of Keroro made it to TV air (ADV was in the final negotiations with Nickelodeon when internal bullshit with Sojitz happened), as he was the lead on that. But as luck may have it, Keroro got screwed over big time. In one way, kinda thankful because I cannot absolutely stand the idea of Vic reaching popularity levels because of that role, but on the other hand, still pissed things fell apart, because the series ended up bombing hard when the license transferred to FUNimation (and they also opted to just do a new cast, rather than follow the lead of the test dubs ADV did). It's also a favorite series of mine, so seeing it fail in any capacity is pretty heart breaking...

They had him at a con a couple years ago here mainly promoting him for the Star Trek Returns thing, they had most of the cast of that in attendance and really no one was lined up for Vic or any of them. Same show they had the main cast of RWBY who had lines of 100's, as well as cast members from Voltron and Overwatch VA's, all with huge lines all day. Vic and company just sitting there with the occasional passing by fan asking for a pic or something.

It's crazy but it's almost like he might benefit from this whole thing in a manner as you got all these douche bags who suddenly care about him.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The entire page, showing the letterhead. Vic's team are actual fucking morons.
YoFzBGh.jpg

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like they're trying to get slapped down

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Mere vulgar abuse is an insult that is not necessarily defamatory because it is not intended to be taken literally or believed, or likely to cause real damage to a reputation. Vituperative statements made in anger, such as calling someone "an arse" during a drunken argument, would likely be considered mere vulgar abuse and not defamatory

Context is critical. For example, it was not libel for ESPN to caption a photo "Evel Knievel proves you're never too old to be a pimp," since it was (in context) "not intended as a criminal accusation, nor was it reasonably susceptible to such a literal interpretation. Ironically, it was most likely intended as a compliment."

surprisingly, the people making the laws seem to have thought of this clever loophole before

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
They had him at a con a couple years ago here mainly promoting him for the Star Trek Returns thing, they had most of the cast of that in attendance and really no one was lined up for Vic or any of them. Same show they had the main cast of RWBY who had lines of 100's, as well as cast members from Voltron and Overwatch VA's, all with huge lines all day. Vic and company just sitting there with the occasional passing by fan asking for a pic or something.

It's crazy but it's almost like he might benefit from this whole thing in a manner as you got all these douche bags who suddenly care about him.
I wonder how Vic feels about his primary fanbase having shifted from little girls to men who never really grew up.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
That whole letter is just "You said [this], that's false and defamatory. You also said [this], that's defamatory and false. At a different time you said [this], that is false and thereby defamatory."

Not even getting to the feces shit lmao what, this is one of the dumbest pieces of paper I've seen.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That's literally just wasting the court's time with spurious claims. It's gish-galloping in a legal setting, which never goes well for good reason.

The only way it makes any tactical sense is if they're just trying to see what sticks but I imagine any judge worth their salt would just throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak, if there are many such time-wasting claims of "defamation".

Nov 11, 2017
Furthermore, you called my client 'A chauvinistic, pig-headed creep', which is untrue, as you can clearly see he has a human head.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The entire page, showing the letterhead. Vic's team are actual fucking morons.
YoFzBGh.jpg

They literally come off like teenagers that think they're far more clever than they actually are. How the fuck did they manage to pass the bar being this fucking dumb?

his most prominent role is being with a boy who can't grow up so i guess it works out?

Don't you dare slander Al like that. He's a good boy.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The fuck is this? Lmao.

Is this a C&D? An official court filing? I'm not sure what it is I'm looking at. Aside from it containing childish scribblings about "defamation" that would get laughed out of court.

I don't think it's a C&D, I think it's some sort of a required notification of this is why we're suing you sort of thing per the Texas statute? At least that's sort of what I've gathered from briefly perusing this shit?

What's interesting to me is Rekieta first got big analyzing the Maddox v. Dick Masterson lawsuit and essentially explained over and over again on his streams how high the bar is for defamation and how protected speech made the whole thing a frivolous waste of time. From the standpoint of fighting to win, it makes sense to throw everything you got at someone (even stupid petty shit that you know isn't going to go anywhere, such as like literally everything quoted from Twitter here)...but it's real funny to me that these guys who seem to be big free speech folks are all the sudden all about suing over internet comments?

Nishastra

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's a C&D, I think it's some sort of a required notification of this is why we're suing you sort of thing per the Texas statute? At least that's sort of what I've gathered from briefly perusing this shit?

What's interesting to me is Rekieta first got big analyzing the Maddox v. Dick Masterson lawsuit and essentially explained over and over again on his streams how high the bar is for defamation and how protected speech made the whole thing a frivolous waste of time. From the standpoint of fighting to win, it makes sense to throw everything you got at someone (even stupid petty shit that you know isn't going to go anywhere, such as like literally everything quoted from Twitter here)...but it's real funny to me that these guys who seem to be big free speech folks are all the sudden all about suing over internet comments?
I mean, you know full well that their "free speech" only applies to them :P

Like I said in another thread recently, it's very easy to catch these types being hypocrites, but it's also a waste of time because they don't have any real positions other than "what my side does is good, what the other side does is bad".

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well your honor, I will object to Mr. Beard's arguments by demonstrating to the court that Mr. Mignogna does, in fact, look like walking, breathing feces.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
From having read Ty Beard's documented e-mail correspondence, seeing the his criminal defense of the genitive case in his office, and reading his own filings, I feel that this is probably the sort of guy who takes long look at the chessboard, then grabs the rook and jumps diagonally over five pieces, crossing his arms and smirking as he commands "king me".

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
From having read Ty Beard's documented e-mail correspondence, seeing the his criminal defense of the genitive case in his office, and reading his own filings, I feel that this is probably the sort of guy who takes long look at the chessboard, then grabs the rook and jumps diagonally over five pieces, crossing his arms and smirking as he commands "king me".
Isn't his firm primarly for business and estate law?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like she took her Twitter account private, but it was an artist that was going to go to Comic Con Ireland but withdrew upon Vic's invitation and the convention organizer telling her that her own firsthand experience with Vic didn't happen, and intended to run an online sale the same weekend with coupon code FUCKOFFVIC. I'm not sure where her shop is without her Twitter account to link to it but Googling gives this: https://www.redbubble.com/people/jekylldraws