• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I didn't know they had this in the U.S., this was pointed out in the tweet chain and I looked it up.

In Texas, if the case is dismissed early, the plaintiff may have to pay for the defendant's attorneys. It's particularly meant for frivolous cases with no basis in law or fact.

so I don't know if this has been brought up before but the Lawyers are having a laugh that he copy and pasted the definition of defamation on his website from the cornell wiki

ZaB36AE.png

vs

agPRhJ3.png

Seems to be gone? The bit about criminal law is under their "practice areas" section (which I thought was for their own private legal dictionary at first glance - are normal people going to look at that definition of criminal law and go "oh that's what I'm looking for, let me contact these guys"?). There's no defamation section there from what I can see.

The practice areas section was last modified two days ago, their main page was last modified in April.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
at some point you have to wonder what exactly you need to do to get disbarred in texas lol

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I didn't know they had this in the U.S., this was pointed out in the tweet chain and I looked it up.

In Texas, if the case is dismissed early, the plaintiff may have to pay for the defendant's attorneys. It's particularly meant for frivolous cases with no basis in law or fact.

Seems to be gone? The bit about criminal law is under their "practice areas" section (which I thought was for their own private legal dictionary at first glance - are normal people going to look at that definition of criminal law and go "oh that's what I'm looking for, let me contact these guys"?). There's no defamation section there from what I can see.

The practice areas section was last modified two days ago, their main page was last modified in April.
Ah. I didn't actually go to the website myself. I don't want to give his site any traffic :P

if it's gone it's still amusing because it means they are trying to run a case they don't say they actually can do :P

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Ah. I didn't actually go to the website myself. I don't want to give his site any traffic :P

if it's gone it's still amusing because it means they are trying to run a case they don't say they actually can do :P
Actually, it's still listed as an area of practice on their homepage with a link to the practice area page. So they probably removed that explanation two days ago.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Funny I asked lawtwitter,

People can basically report them now. With the amount of evidence out there, it makes sense

If you go that route, Ty Beard is on the State Bar of Texas accoring to his website. I think you can use this link:

Can't find where you'd go for Rekieta. Also not really sure of the details of this kind of thing, so I imagine you should try to watch out for potential risks.

sugururu

Apr 16, 2019
If you go that route, Ty Beard is on the State Bar of Texas accoring to his website. I think you can use this link:

Can't find where you'd go for Rekieta. Also not really sure of the details of this kind of thing, so I imagine you should try to watch out for potential risks.
This is the best I could find. I don't know if you can file a complaint electronically in MN.

I don't know if he can see the complaint forms after they've been filed against him or not. I've considered doing it but I would prefer not to take the plunge if it means I have to submit my actual information under the guise that he might see it. I don't want my information in this guy's hands if he gets to see who submitted complaints against him.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is the best I could find. I don't know if you can file a complaint electronically in MN.

I don't know if he can see the complaint forms after they've been filed against him or not. I've considered doing it but I would prefer not to take the plunge if it means I have to submit my actual information under the guise that he might see it. I don't want my information in this guy's hands if he gets to see who submitted complaints against him.
Is it confirmed that he's a member of the Minnesota state bar? It seems that Minnesota has a voluntary bar association, whereas Texas is mandatory.

Stryk3r

May 8, 2019
I'm sure the question has been asked in the thread, but why didn't he sue Rooster Teeth as well?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the question has been asked in the thread, but why didn't he sue Rooster Teeth as well?
I don't know if this answers your question, but bear in mind that he didn't sue Funimation for anything they did directly. He sued them for vicarious liability, which means they're responsible for something done by someone working for them, possibly using Funimation's resources.

Looking it up, it looks like Monica was employed by Rooster Teeth, not sure about the other person sued (I think it was Ron Toye?)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
His practice doesn't seem to have an actual website. His Tumblr, Patreon and YouTube don't say anything about being a member of the state bar that I can see, and if the state bar isn't mandatory they probably won't directly be able to revoke his license. I'm not sure where you'd go to report him; the possible authorities I've found are these, but I don't see a useful link.

Mr. Zero

Apr 22, 2019
So dunno if this was covered earlier, but was curious when Vic's apologies could end up being played into the case. Asked Mr. Doucette and got a response for those interested:

Last edited:

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the lady on Twitter who 26 year-old Vic had almost raped back when she was in high school? She found pics to back it up. Even at that age, Vic was trying to look younger than he actually was.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So the lady on Twitter who 26 year-old Vic had almost raped back when she was in high school? She found pics to back it up. Even at that age, Vic was trying to look younger than he actually was.

Of course there's one guy accusing her of being a psycho stalker because she had this picture even though these same people accused her of making the whole thing up. Man the hoops these people jump through! And tons of people saying it's obviously Photoshopped. *sigh*

Also, I know we've gone over the whole "anime roles that look bad now" but I was just watching Shin Chan the other night (Funimation lost the rights but it's still on Hulu) and they have an episode where he plays a one off action star getting autographs from women fawning over him as he makes flirty comments with them. There's even a "Oooh, come look me up when you're a little older..."

I have to wonder what the process for these kind of roles are for him.

"Hey Vic, you're going to voice this hunky action star who creeps on the girls a bit..."

"Sounds good to me."

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

Oh my God, there's people in the comments accusing it of being photoshopped. They say so because Vic isn't as in focus (which is normal for pictures) and that one of the chair legs disappears... when it's just behind Vic's foot. One even going "Why is the Vic photo scanned while the non-Vic photo is a pic of her holding it?!" ...when the Vic photo is clearly not scanned, with you seeing light reflecting off it and the edge of the photo shown in the corner.

These people are literally insane.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Oh my God, there's people in the comments accusing it of being photoshopped. They say so because Vic isn't as in focus (which is normal for pictures) and that one of the chair legs disappears... when it's just behind Vic's foot. One even going "Why is the Vic photo scanned while the non-Vic photo is a pic of her holding it?!" ...when the Vic photo is clearly not scanned, with you seeing light reflecting off it and the edge of the photo shown in the corner.

I swear, it's like the whole Shulk= Little Mac debacle but so much worse and sadder.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's good. I hope he doesn't come to MCM Scotland because some friends of ours are going and we might be going with them. >.<

Nah, Sadly it's not good. Tweet is deleted now so i dont know if i should post a screenshot of it, but it was an artist that canceled their attendance because the organizers told them their statements about vic were untrue.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

They're trying to point out all these little things about Vic's appearance, and the reality is that he was just a weird 80's goblin with a massive head. I saw one bring up "The compression looks different on Vic." Ah yes, that awful compression that so greatly afflicts 35mm film. They're really just digging for *anything* to discredit people coming out against Vic.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
That's good. I hope he doesn't come to MCM Scotland because some friends of ours are going and we might be going with them. >.<

To clarify: an artist who was going to be there notified them she would not be coming anymore and the organizer she spoke with told her she was wrong about her own experiences connected to Vic. She tweeted about this and got so heavily brigaded that her Twitter account, which is presumably how she makes some of her income advertising as an artist, is now private.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
her Twitter account, which is presumably how she makes some of her income advertising as an artist, is now private.

Her Acc is no longer private, but she deleted the Tweet about it it seems. (Edit: Tweets seem to have been deleted by comic con ireland, and not herself)

CesspoolofHatred

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the comments on Michelle's photos about "photoshop" and I can't stop rolling my eyes

So much whinging over Vic's skin tone and shadows when he's standing right next to a lamp ffs

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am disappointed no one made "LAWYER TWITTER DESTROYS ANIME TWITTER" thread

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the Vic stans are all doing "these drive-by lawyers don't know what they're talking about and are just dumping on Beard because they're jealous/want publicity"

Meanwhile they got like 1 lawyer who took their side and they're like "see? all the lawyers know Vic's case is pretty much won"

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Doucette owning these idiots definitely deserves a thread of his own.

The best part is he really doesn't give a fuck, and trolls back, but does it so coherently too.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
So dunno if this was covered earlier, but was curious how Vic's apologies would play into the case. Asked Mr. Doucette and got a response for those interested:

This strikes me as the most damning thing so far. If Ty Beard is under pressure to put forward most of his evidence now, and between the lawsuit we've seen little to no evidence of either falsity or actual malice, that suggests that the accusors either don't have the resources to prove either or don't know they're supposed to. The generous interpretation becomes that they knew this wasn't going to succeed and were attempting legal intimidation, but still failed to engineer a plausible threat.

It also explains why other the unaffiliated lawyers have been saying so definitely that this will be struck down if it's supposed to have provided evidence for its survival already and hasn't.

Even if he was just doing it to kill time, I'm personally extremely grateful that Doucette's been giving explanations about this. I mentioned before that I have an extended family member who I recently found out is a big #StandWithVic guy and who has said some gross stuff as result. With this looking to be a quick, humiliating defeat for Vic, I'm hoping that the shock alongside my discussion with him gets him to rethink whatever led him here. Hopefully he sees that the reason people don't understand his position the way he wants them to is because it's an idiotic position.

My concern now is how Rekieta's going to spin a defeat; if he's suckered a dumb audience like that and they aren't too far gone, will it shake them out of this when they learn that Rekieta's hyped-up super jedi lawyer's MENSA membership was actually a NAMBLA membership all along?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Stryk3r

May 8, 2019
Doucette's at it again! This time revealed that Beard is leaking subpoenaed info to BFL for his show, Beard has been off Twitter for 2 days and BFL continues to dig his hole deeper.

Mr. Zero

Apr 22, 2019
My concern now is how Rekieta's going to spin a defeat; if he's suckered a dumb audience like that and they aren't too far gone, will it shake them out of this when they learn that Rekieta's hyped-up super jedi lawyer's MENSA membership was actually a NAMBLA membership all along?

Honestly, I don't think YouTube Lawyer will have to do much of anything. These dumbass fans will come up with their own reason as to how Vic lost the case. I mean look at them, they are spending a countless amount of energy trying to tell actually lawyers they don't understand the law works lol

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't think YouTube Lawyer will have to do much of anything. These dumbass fans will come up with their own reason as to how Vic lost the case. I mean look at them, they are spending a countless amount of energy trying to tell actually lawyers they don't understand the law works lol

They already have the ready made excuses that the world is biased against white guys, men, gamers, conservatives, etc.