• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 3, 2017
Blackface Laywer will get consequences for this hopefully, right?

The likelihood is that he'll be the only clear winner once all the stupidity is over.

Vic is 99% going to lose his case, Beard embarrasses himself and given his lack of knowledge, may accidentally breach a code of conduct somewhere along the way. The general opinion among the US based lawyers is that Blackface's state doesn't really have any professional codes of conduct that he's in breach of. In some ways, it wouldn't matter even if he did get disbarred. He might be a terrible lawyer, but he's clearly skilled as an outrage merchant, which will likely be his real job going forward

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I'm almost done watching Vic's deposition. Yeah Nick totally streamed this so he can tell his viewers how to think before they can formulate their own opinions. Whenever Vic looks bad Nick just changes the topic like making fun of the lawyer's voice for the billionth time or reads viewers' comments out loud. To anyone else watching or reading, Vic is just digging his own grave.
What stuff did Vic say to dig his hole deeper?

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
What stuff did Vic say to dig his hole deeper?

First of all he conceded he was a public figure which means you have to prove actual malice. Actual malice is a very difficult thing to prove because you need clear and convincing evidence about what the defendant was thinking not what a reasonable person believes.

The second thing is he conceded that the defendants were just a small part of a larger backlash:

No, sir, because of everything. All of it. It's a cumulative thing. Didn't you use -- like the term you used, death by a thousand cuts, you know.

That's pretty much any competent defamation lawyer watching his client's case go right out the fucking window. When you're pointing fingers you don't say it's a result of all these little things. You're alleging that the defendant's specific knowingly reckless and malicious conduct is the cause of the situation. This basically contradicts that entire argument.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The likelihood is that he'll be the only clear winner once all the stupidity is over.

Vic is 99% going to lose his case, Beard embarrasses himself and given his lack of knowledge, may accidentally breach a code of conduct somewhere along the way. The general opinion among the US based lawyers is that Blackface's state doesn't really have any professional codes of conduct that he's in breach of. In some ways, it wouldn't matter even if he did get disbarred. He might be a terrible lawyer, but he's clearly skilled as an outrage merchant, which will likely be his real job going forward
That's been his job since before Vic, it's just that the last outrage he was on didn't gain much traction.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
First of all he conceded he was a public figure which means you have to prove actual malice. Actual malice is a very difficult thing to prove because you need clear and convincing evidence about what the defendant was thinking not what a reasonable person believes.

The second thing is he conceded that the defendants were just a small part of a larger backlash:

That's pretty much any competent defamation lawyer watching his client's case go right out the fucking window. When you're pointing fingers you don't say it's a result of all these little things. You're alleging that the defendant's specific knowingly reckless and malicious conduct is the cause of the situation. This basically contradicts that entire argument.

Regarding the first point, it's particularly amusing to see because his lawyers are currently very much trying to move away from him being seen as a public figure. There's no way he can get away with claiming that to begin with, of course. But this deposition now includes, for example, him talking about how conventions work and how he's special enough to get re-invited several years in a row at times even when that's not the norm. It was probably the one thing Beard actually prepped him for, and he still failed to handle it well!

And adding to the second point, he also constantly admitted he has no idea whether the defendants actually had anything to do with conventions canceling him and such. Really doubling down on "it is completely arbitrary that I sued them over this".

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
And adding to the second point, he also constantly admitted he has no idea whether the defendants actually had anything to do with conventions canceling him and such. Really doubling down on "it is completely arbitrary that I sued them over this".

Oh and having no idea how much he was suing for when they asked how much his reputation was worth. That was funny af.

Nov 2, 2017
Regarding the first point, it's particularly amusing to see because his lawyers are currently very much trying to move away from him being seen as a public figure. There's no way he can get away with claiming that to begin with, of course. But this deposition now includes, for example, him talking about how conventions work and how he's special enough to get re-invited several years in a row at times even when that's not the norm. It was probably the one thing Beard actually prepped him for, and he still failed to handle it well!

That bit of the transcript was hilarious, because you can practically see the moment when it registers that he's about to do something his attorney told him not to do, but he's basically too late to stop it and so he just kinda meanders off since he knows he shouldn't say the obvious point he was working towards.

I'd love to see the video of that exchange, now that I think about it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

You would *almost* feel bad for Vic.

Honestly at this point he can sue his own lawyers. That'd be funny.

Mr. Zero

Apr 22, 2019
Apparently Screech leaked Monica' Depo last night.....and said this during the part where she was talking about her encounter with Vic in the hotel room..........

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tag. Content Warning for Description of Rape and Rape Apologism.

Last edited by a moderator:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Screech leaked Monica' Depo last night.....and said this during the part where she was talking about her encounter with Vic in the hotel room..........

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tag. Content Warning for Description of Rape and Rape Apologism.

Christ. Like I already knew it to be the case but fuck me, Rekieta is a truly vile human being. Fucking scum.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say... you should probably place some warnings and spoiler tag when quoting that stuff directly. Both for what she's describing and his rape apologism.

Not faulting people for sharing it, but we should be careful about how we do so.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017

...I need a fucking shower after watching that. I honestly didn't think he could go much lower but here we are.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you mods for putting in spoilers, in my anger I regrettably forgot to do so. I'm still angry at that fucker, I can't fucking believe it. Just completely fucking loathsome, horrendous behavior.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
That's a disgusting thought in more than just one way.

But if you do it, put some GHB into his drink first and then gag him while he's unconcious. You know. If he doesn't fight back it's apparently consent.

This being said. You gotta wonder how he treats his wife, considering his drunken ramblings and views on certain issues.
What? I meant, not like literally, just like he's a crappy guy. Or are you making a joke?

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

I feel sick.

Before, I'd call any Rekieta follower's moral character into serious question; now, I have no qualms in calling them out as the monsters they are.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This would be a good moment to remember that, as ridiculous as the legal side of this is, the central issue here is a serious one. Similarly, as much as Rekieta wants to use his law degree to be the bully he always aspired to be, him using his platform to spread rape myths is probably the most dangerous thing about him. It's in the territory of hate speech where it should have you considering where if almost totally unrestrained free speech is really a good idea.

There's something about his delivery that reminds me of when my relative brought up Vic and didn't think I'd have taken the other side. Maybe it's just a nerd thing, but I don't think that's it. Like, the delivery feels a little dragged out and stilted, like once the thoughts are hitting his brain it leads him to have doubts about whether he's in the right here, but then he decides that if he's going to be the bad guy he's going to be so shamelessly.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember this bone-chilling piece of awfulness from the Gizmodo write-up? Same exact rhetoric.

"Last summer, Mignogna went into a studio and told a small group of people that silence gives consent. It may have been in response to a query about his performance, but voice director Donald Shults told io9 that it eventually became something else. When others in the room tried to push back, including Shults saying that the phrase doesn't reflect today's values, Mignogna didn't drop the subject. He clarified.

"If I'm a jerk and you don't tell me so, then you're consenting to me being a jerk. See how that works?" he said. "If somebody is doing something you don't approve of and you don't say anything...the implication is that you must be okay with it."

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Vic admitting to the hair pulling incident. It's amazing how much he's sinking his own case.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Vic admitting to the hair pulling incident. It's amazing how much he's sinking his own case.

Thanks for sharing -- I saw this come up on Twitter, but hadn't seen any video.

Love his screenshot of the chat comments recognizing how screwed Vic is.

D_r16rrXUAERlqk.png

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
There's something about his delivery that reminds me of when my relative brought up Vic and didn't think I'd have taken the other side. Maybe it's just a nerd thing, but I don't think that's it. Like, the delivery feels a little dragged out and stilted, like once the thoughts are hitting his brain it leads him to have doubts about whether he's in the right here, but then he decides that if he's going to be the bad guy he's going to be so shamelessly.

I swear there's a tiny moment when he's saying "it always does, doesn't it?" that there's actually a conscience somewhere in that husk of a man trying to re-assert itself.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It seems really fucked up to release depositions of people publicly, but when has Comicsgate ever given a shit about morals?