• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
There was also one post using Monica Rial's choice of hairstyle as an example of why she's "unprofessional." And another dude saying that blocking people on Twitter is unprofessional because it could be blocking fans.

The way the people supporting Vic talk about Monica is really chilling to me. It's like she isn't even a person. Funny how in these situations, the focus ends up being on a woman. And it pretty much always happens like this. Gee, I wonder why women don't want to come forward after being sexually harassed/insulted etc.

I've had friends who've been sexually assaulted in the past and that thread makes me feel sick just reading it. There's just no sense of empathy to be found.
By and far why I largely never bother to talk with "anime fans" on ANN and r/anime. It gives me a headache to see how far some of them bend backwards to defend Vic and dehumanize everyone else.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By and far why I largely never bother to talk with "anime fans" on ANN and r/anime. It gives me a headache to see how far some of them bend backwards to defend Vic and dehumanize everyone else.

You're not wrong. I know there's a lot of jokes on Era about anime fans being the worst... but recent times have really made it hard to see the funny side of that anymore.

It's about this thread, where Vic pushed himself on a high school student in 1989 when he was 26:

Ah right, yeah... I remember that one now. Awful stuff.

Last edited:

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
y'all really think a company with a deeper warchest than one voice actor would settle?

hell nah

you get that creep in front of a jury he's losing the civil case, 100%

his lawyer is some random guy at some no name firm too. Funimation can afford to handle a whole different class of litigator
I honestly doubt it'll even go before a jury after reading that petition. It's likely the defendants first move will be to petition the court for a dismissal since the claims are based in conspiracy theories with little to no evidence to back them up.

So I haven't been following this closely and I'm pretty out of the loop.
I just want to know how much damage is this doing to the Dragon Ball IP and Toei?
It's not. Most people don't know or care about this. The reason it became so big is because comicsgate/GG and blackface youtube lawyer jumped into it.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't been following this closely and I'm pretty out of the loop.
I just want to know how much damage is this doing to the Dragon Ball IP and Toei?

his rabid fans claiming that DB/Toei secretly agree with them and are angry at Funimation is probably causing them more trouble than the situation itself has, lol

and even that's probably nothing

so like... 0, they'll pick someone else to voice Broly next time and nobody with any sense will care

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Absolutely nothing lmao. Tbh most dragon ball fans don't even know the VA's names much less do they care about their personal lives.

It's kind of sad to say that because there is a lot of work that goes into voice acting but it's also a sad reality.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, the damage this is doing to the franchise is practically zero. He's an obviously guilty, easily replaceable, not-even-z-list celebrity who's bolstered mainly by MRA/incel-types who can't even weave a narrative that is interesting or coherent enough for the anime fandom at large to give a shit about. Like others have said, more people care about the latest video release of DBZ than they do a third-rate voice actor no longer being hired to scream KAKAROT.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
In this post-truth era these types of people (BFL and others) care more about narrative than anything else. If you can get enough people screaming loudly enough in support of your narrative, you "win" regardless of what may have really happened.

I see echoes of the tactics used here in larger political contexts. Also, accuse the opposing "side" of doing what they're doing so that they can then resort to both sides bullshit.

And framing the issue as having two equivalent sides is yet another rhetorical tactic of theirs. Make it seem like it's two equal sides fighting, when in reality it's women who want to get on when their lives and harassers who refuse to leave them alone.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
One of the theories I've seen posited is that Vic's team is doing this for the discovery, basically as a means to reveal and doxx his accusers via the courts.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
They were on the ball earlier in cleaning up victim blaming/conspiracy BS, but I dunno what's going on now.

My feeling from what I've vaguely seen of their forums is that the staff is seemingly in agreement on certain stuff being horrible, but they are bizarrely tolerant of people being allowed to post such things until they cross some line.

I still don't understand it. Even separate from this topic, people casually post pretty abhorrent/gross stuff on there and it's seemingly not actioned till they go way too far with it. I guess they delete posts so to be fair I assume there's worse stuff I missed whenever I do look at their forums (when something like this happens), but it's just baffling to me that they're let such things fester.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
My feeling from what I've vaguely seen of their forums is that the staff is seemingly in agreement on certain stuff being horrible, but they are bizarrely tolerant of people being allowed to post such things until they cross some line.

I still don't understand it. Even separate from this topic, people casually post pretty abhorrent/gross stuff on there and it's seemingly not actioned till they go way too far with it. I guess they delete posts so to be fair I assume there's worse stuff I missed whenever I do look at their forums (when something like this happens), but it's just baffling to me that they're let such things fester.
Given the comments on another site, which circled around how they hope ANN is brought into the lawsuit and destroyed as well, I wouldn't be surprised if ANN was DDOSed for their moderation on the subject and had to allow more to happen to try to avoid being attacked in the future.

They aren't a huge site, they can't afford to be subjected to constant DDOS attacks.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

They do indeed delete posts, which is why I mentioned they were "on the ball earlier," but I suppose Monica Rial wearing hair-dye and weaponizing #metoo is magically A-Okay now.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
One of the theories I've seen posited is that Vic's team is doing this for the discovery, basically as a means to reveal and doxx his accusers via the courts.
I think they'd actually have a case for keeping that info sealed due to the fact that Vic's lawyer appears on blackface lawyers livestreams to disseminate information to a group who likes to harass and threaten people.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lawyer subtweeted the article writer. This honestly seems like targeted harassment.

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't know about Elon but I hope I can still like Edward and FMA despite Vic without being labelled as a Vic supporter.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
There's no real evidence TOEI cares, and tbh I get a feeling considering Akira Toriyama didn't like his characters being affiliated with gambling that he'd REALLY hate whatever the hell is going on here.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
So apparently the Vic stans think that all Vic has to do is say he didn't do anything and suddenly the burden of proof will be on Monica et all. That doesn't really sound...right.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So apparently the Vic stabs think that all Vic has to do is say he didn't do anything and suddenly the burden of proof will be on Monica et all. That doesn't really sound...right.
giphy.gif

It's been like that since day one, my friend.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
So apparently the Vic stans think that all Vic has to do is say he didn't do anything and suddenly the burden of proof will be on Monica et all. That doesn't really sound...right.
right so this is where things get interesting and once again I'm not a lawyer but I did look into this: on the surface, for this type of lawsuit they are correct as they're being sued for defamation per se which is reserved for statements that are so damaging you don't need to explicitly prove innocence or damages. The example I was reading was when a man was accused by a woman of assault and battery along of false imprisonment where the statements were so incredibly damaging but there wasn't any real proof that these things happened and as a result, the guy won the case.

Now the thing is that it's a lot more complex than just walking into a court room and saying "I didn't do it" and walking out: the statement needs to
be proven that it was said knowingly as false and with intent to defame and on top of that Funimation has a full on investigation here meaning that whatever was found in that investigation is going to come out; and to top it all off there's already rumors of Funimation counter suing in the near future which would really make this a complex scenario.

I'm really gonna be sitting back and just watching at this point because I'm sort of unsure as to where this is gonna go, but I still think funimation's gonna win this.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What is he suing for exactly ?

He's an actor once his contract is up they don't have to renew it for any reason.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He's an actor once his contract is up they don't have to renew it for any reason.
And dont forget Texas is an At will state.. so they have that bonus too. Is it sad i wish there was a way for me to watch this court case and eat popcorn when he looses.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Defamation
Tortious Interference with Existing Contracts
Tortious Interference with Prospective Business Relations
Civil Conspiracy
Vicarious Liability

Basically, he's saying he was financially damaged by these people intentionally conspiring to spread falsehoods about him and thereby interfering with his contracts with Funimation and conventions, as well as costing him future contracts. Also, Funimation is responsible because the other defendants are their employees.

sugururu

Apr 16, 2019
So, uh... this fuck is officially damaged goods in the eyes of any studios who might have been willing to forget his behavior throughout the years, particularly the circus he helped prop up in the last few months, right? Like, there's no way any of them are willing to tolerate or forgive/forget Vic's idiotic salvo against Funimation/Sony. He's done, right?
Bang Zoom is apparently still working with him, but might fire him after this shit is done. Can't look good for anything he's done or is doing in any industry. His name will be permanently smeared, I'm not even sure the evangelist nutbags will take him when the dust settles and this is over.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Isn't Bang Zoom only working with him for the sake of Jojo? They just wrapped, could be he has no further projects with them after this.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
right so this is where things get interesting and once again I'm not a lawyer but I did look into this: on the surface, for this type of lawsuit they are correct as they're being sued for defamation per se which is reserved for statements that are so damaging you don't need to explicitly prove innocence or damages. The example I was reading was when a man was accused by a woman of assault and battery along of false imprisonment where the statements were so incredibly damaging but there wasn't any real proof that these things happened and as a result, the guy won the case.

Now the thing is that it's a lot more complex than just walking into a court room and saying "I didn't do it" and walking out: the statement needs to
be proven that it was said knowingly as false and with intent to defame and on top of that Funimation has a full on investigation here meaning that whatever was found in that investigation is going to come out; and to top it all off there's already rumors of Funimation counter suing in the near future which would really make this a complex scenario.

I'm really gonna be sitting back and just watching at this point because I'm sort of unsure as to where this is gonna go, but I still think funimation's gonna win this.
So the onus is on Vic's legal team to proven that Monica and Jamie lied purposefully to damage Vic's reputation? Sounds difficult to prove(especially since the accusations are probably true).

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
So the onus is on Vic's legal team to proven that Monica and Jamie lied purposefully to damage Vic's reputation? Sounds difficult to prove(especially since the accusations are probably true).

The issue in defamation cases is that they're not so much about the 'truth' as they are about 'provable facts'.

people are actually defending beard's attack on the i09 writer to me jesus christ why

Yeah, its maddening. Kanzenshuu is a trashfire. You're one of the few people there that isn't a cloying demented fanboy.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny because I feel like Vic's apology letter completely fucks that whole thing up.