• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I don't know his supporters don't come away thinking he's innocent. Like this Yellowflash guy, he's obsessed with this and I really don't get why. (Really wish his vids would stop popping up in my feed)

It's part of this larger one-sided culture war against women. A lot of dudes in geeky communities pissed at the idea of their entertainment becoming more inclusive. And just pissed at the idea of women being able to speak up about these kinds of things more.

Also thought this development in the ANN thread was worth a look: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5118114#5118114

I feel bad for the mods there, not gonna lie.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I don't know his supporters don't come away thinking he's innocent. Like this Yellowflash guy, he's obsessed with this and I really don't get why. (Really wish his vids would stop popping up in my feed)
Right so in his case him and a lot of other content creators who focus religiously on this, it's a money/influence kind of thing. They know what they're doing, they're targeting people in this outrage mob thing just to get clicks and support. Happens every time there's something dumb like this and people always laugh it all the way to the bank.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
So, is nerd culture f*cked then. It's sad to see so many alt-righters and misogynists in it
Nerd culture has always had a bit of a problem from the very start as it was always for "nerds"

You see there's nothing wrong with being a geek or a nerd or anything like that, but you'll have a lot of people with extreme issues on their own side of life come in and start using all of this to define themselves and their lives as opposed to fixing what's wrong with themselves or their own lives. As a result, nonsense like this is relatively commonplace unfortunately. It's definitely changing for the better, but not fast enough.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
It's part of this larger one-sided culture war against women. A lot of dudes in geeky communities pissed at the idea of their entertainment becoming more inclusive. And just pissed at the idea of women being able to speak up about these kinds of things more.

Also thought this development in the ANN thread was worth a look: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5118114#5118114

Between the endless stream of "InNoCeNt UnTiL pRoVeN gUiLtY" and people seriously hailing a lawsuit cherrypicking investigation results and citing blatant conspiracy theories holding up to legal scrutiny, it's a goddamn madhouse.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Nerd culture is growing beyond the folks that use it to define themselves and they are scared. There will always be a shit part of it, but they will be the ever shrinking minority

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
people who identify as nerds or geeks have been outcasts for a long time, and what with 'nerd' media becoming more and more mainstream it's not surprising that some of them would lash out at people who want to 'change' things.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As the famous song once said:

"We didn't start the fire, it was always turning since the world's been turning."

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
people who identify as nerds or geeks have been outcasts for a long time, and what with 'nerd' media becoming more and more mainstream it's not surprising that some of them would lash out at people who want to 'change' things.

They thought the reason nobody liked them is because they're nerds. But as nerd shit becomes ever increasingly popular, they might have to confront the possibility that nobody likes them because they're horrible assholes. Better to drive away the other people and keep nerd stuff for themselves so they can comfort themselves with lies to explain why they have no friends.

Anyone else starting to feel ashamed of being a geek or nerd due to this?

No need. Our hobbies don't belong to people like this and pushing the good people away from them is exactly what they want.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
They thought the reason nobody liked them is because they're nerds. But as nerd shit becomes ever increasingly popular, they might have to confront the possibility that nobody likes them because they're horrible assholes. Better to drive away the other people and keep nerd stuff for themselves so they can comfort themselves with lies to explain why they have no friends.
true, personally I've never really thought of myself as a 'nerd' or 'geek' or anything really, labeling myself based on a few of my interests always seemed like something that would only serve to restrict my view of myself and others

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I sure as hell don't. Most anime fans can't even name the person who voices Goku much less name the voice of Broly and then on top of that even more of them refuse to watch dubbed versions and prefer subs. This is a vocal minority, and also a really small minority at that. They're loud sure but all it really is is they're internet savvy and know how to make it look like they're popular but they ain't shit.

Funimation really does need to make some official statements towards this instead of letting these weird conspiracies run wild, sure, but from everything I've see I'd be impressed if Vic won this both from a legal standpoint and also from the more important publicity standpoint.

Just a heads up: the second you let them define what something is is the second they win. You a gamer? Good. Be fucking proud of it and forget what these guys say and do. You an anime fan? That's dope, screw this group of morons who are wasting their times and their lives arguing over nothing and just do your thing.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017

I feel bad for that mod, Mad_Scientist there. :(

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well damn this is an interesting way for things to come full circle for Nicky Rackets/YouTube Lawyer/Blackface Lawyer. He basically got famous from covering the frivolous lawsuit has-been internet celeb Maddox filed against his former podcast cohost Dick Masterson. I thought his legal dissections of the filings were fascinating and sometimes his wife would even come on and they'd sing Disney songs together and shit...but haven't been following what he's been up to since.

That uhh...took a turn, I guess.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly making me uncomfortable with the company I share r/AnimeDubs with. The amount of Vic stans in the thread about the lawsuit there is depressing as fuck.

It's like the one fucking safe place on the internet to talk about dubs without sub elitism butting in, so realizing there are quite a few of the... "stereotypical" anime fans there, it's a god damn bummer.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
So, is nerd culture f*cked then. It's sad to see so many alt-righters and misogynists in it
It's always been there, the only reason it seems worse now is because the internet allows it to be seen. I think it's important to remember that these people are in the minority, they are just extremely loud and practically make it their jobs to be loud about this stuff online. Look at the Vic stans on twitter, they practically tweet about this nonstop all day.

Even then though, I've seen some of them straight up admit to not being anime fans or even knowing who Vic was before all this. A lot of people followed Yellowflash, TheQuartering, Bounding into Comics, etc. into this from comicsgate.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't say ashamed as much as it pushed me further from identifying in that way, though particularly "gamer" I don't want to be associated with. I might use "nerd" at times but that's about it.

Or to some degree I've already been offput by some of these labels because of how people act around them. There's being quirky, or awkward, or just really letting yourself love something that makes you happy, which is totally fine, and... then there's defining yourself entirely by the entertainment you consume, and/or using it to excuse upsetting behavior...

Forums like this give me hope

Frankly, while it largely does, sometimes people on Gaming side do a lot to hurt that.

There are other smaller communities I feel even better about, though, so they're out there. Just not enough of them right now.

I feel bad for that mod, Mad_Scientist there. :(

IIRC (as I saw a thing they posted by chance a while back) they're relatively new as a mod and came on board due to being more strongly against this kind of thing? So it's a shame they have to deal with this shit but I appreciate someone being a voice of reason and shutting things down more.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't, these kind of people and their toxicness were there since the beginning. Vic getting a pass for so many people is a symptom of a larger problem, just like Trump being the president of the US.

Dissociating yourself from a group won't improve anything. Fight and stand to make it better by making people less ignorant will elevate the hobby to higher grounds for future generations. It won't happen with a snap of fingers, it'll take time, a lot.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The slow-motion trainwreck that's the Kanzenshuu thread is half-convincing me to step back and maybe check in only here. I know exhausting people with bad-faith horseshit is their goal, but that it's devolved into some dude initating a Todd Haberkorn/Reuben Langdon defense force is so unconsciously mind-boggling I can hardly stand it.

Don't even get me started on the ANN thread.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The slow-motion trainwreck that's the Kanzenshuu thread is half-convincing me to step back and maybe check in only here. I know exhausting people with bad-faith horseshit is their goal, but that it's devolved into some dude initating a Todd Haberkorn/Reuben Langdon defense force is so unconsciously mind-boggling I can hardly stand it.

I think I'm just done with that forum in general. I've been a member there for over a decade but Mike seems happy to just let that trash fire burn.

Tegami

Oct 25, 2017
I would feel sorry for the people who were touched by his performance in FMA.
It's frustrating. I think back to catching late night reruns of FMA episodes on Adult Swim as my gateway into anime. It's easily my favorite anime. I love Edward Elric's character and I definitely attribute some of that to Vic's performance. Don't know if I can separate the art from the person though.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching the Broly blu-ray. They kept Vic's performance in tact but removed him from the extras

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm just done with that forum in general. I've been a member there for over a decade but Mike seems happy to just let that trash fire burn.

It's one thing to allow different perspectives, but there's zero benefit for the usual suspects repeatedly resorting to inflammatory drive-bys and/or displaying no interest in producing reasoned, decent-faith arguments when they constantly derail the discussion. (Look no further than that one troll evolving from disingenuous defenses to outright vile disregard for the victims involved.)

This also goes for the ANN thread in that you're not exactly fooling anyone when you pull the "I'm neutral on Vic" card when you're citing the very same victim-blaming/Rekieta-sourced garbage so prevalent among Vic/sexual assault apologists. The impassioned rhetotic renders it beyond transparent.

All the respect in the world for Mike, but I'm disappointed he and the mods aren't putting their foot down as they did earlier.

sugururu

Apr 16, 2019
I would feel sorry for the people who were touched by his performance in FMA.
I used to like his Tamaki. I also used to like Todd's role in that show. Barely watch dubs these days but Ouran was one of my favorite dubs, so much so that I used to prefer it to the sub. And to some extent I still really admire a few of the cast members, especially Michael Tatum, Ayers, and Monica. So it breaks my heart that I'll probably not be able to watch the Ouran dub again without feeling disgust in a way. They say "separate the voice from the voice actor" but after what Vic and Todd have pulled? I don't think I can do that.

sugururu

Apr 16, 2019
What has todd done exactly?
Todd assaulted and raped a female cosplayer named Jessie Pridemore after getting her drunk. Pridemore talked about how she was assaulted by Todd when not mentioning his name, and ended the story by saying Vic, who was aware of the assault, mocked her by making a rather insensitive joke about her and todd. Todd then later outed himself as the assailant in her story and claimed it was consensual. A third party who was present before the assault came out in favor of Jessie's story, saying that she was too drunk to consent. Heard Todd is suing Jessie but no confirmation yet. his actions are pretty gross and I believe that Jessie was telling the truth. Todd himself doesn't even like Vic, someone leaked a screenshot of him mocking Vic for having a 30+ year younger girlfriend, he's possibly banding with Vic's lawyers from what I hear because he's vindictive against Jessie. But he outed himself when Jessie kept his identity anonymous so I fail to see how he could win in a court of law.

to me it feels like Todd's actions for some people have been buried under all Vic's BS. I hope everyone hasn't forgotten what he's done either. They're both scummy.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I sure haven't forgotten Todd outting himself like that, but I was not aware of the third party to be perfectly honest. Either way, I know both are scummy as fuck.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
This is hilariously sad. Let's just say Elon messaged him back, then what? Ask him to fund an anime project that he wrote? Ask him to hang out and watch FMA together?
Actually if he did, that would really risk getting this lawsuit in the mainstream media since they follow Musk around like nothing else which I'm sure he doesn't want.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Todd assaulted and raped a female cosplayer named Jessie Pridemore after getting her drunk. Pridemore talked about how she was assaulted by Todd when not mentioning his name, and ended the story by saying Vic, who was aware of the assault, mocked her by making a rather insensitive joke about her and todd. Todd then later outed himself as the assailant in her story and claimed it was consensual. A third party who was present before the assault came out in favor of Jessie's story, saying that she was too drunk to consent. Heard Todd is suing Jessie but no confirmation yet. his actions are pretty gross and I believe that Jessie was telling the truth. Todd himself doesn't even like Vic, someone leaked a screenshot of him mocking Vic for having a 30+ year younger girlfriend, he's possibly banding with Vic's lawyers from what I hear because he's vindictive against Jessie. But he outed himself when Jessie kept his identity anonymous so I fail to see how he could win in a court of law.

to me it feels like Todd's actions for some people have been buried under all Vic's BS. I hope everyone hasn't forgotten what he's done either. They're both scummy.

Haven't heard of this. Apparently he's got a defense force too?

https://twitter.com/hashtag/IstandwithTodd?src=hash

But going by the amount of #IStandWithVic stuff in there, it's just another tag for the same camp, I guess.